Author Topic: Researching Military Records  (Read 1104 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Researching Military Records
« on: July 16, 2007, 04:32:51 AM »
Howdy:

My maternal grandfather was in WWII in the pacific.  Got wounded & died 20 years later from gangrene*.  I never met the man.

There have been contradictory bits of information from my mom & my grandma when she lived.  I'd like to get the facts down straight by means of a military records search.

How would one go about such a thing?

* Those were 20 productive years.  A year before he died, he was informed that the aftereffects of the wound were causing his lower leg to not get enough oxygen & that they needed to amputate.  His pride would not let him go without a leg, so he sucked it up (along with plenty of cold ethyl) and died a year later from the gangrene.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Paddy

Re: Researching Military Records
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 04:51:13 AM »
IIRC, Barbara has a way to do this.  There's at least one thread here somewhere about that.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:13:08 AM »
Unfortunately, a lot of military records were lost due to a fire a couple of decades back . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:21:38 AM »
If you have his service number, full name and dates of service (or close), you can contact the records archive in St Louis, Mo. They may or may not have his info available.

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/standard-form-180.html
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 09:34:18 AM »
Unfortunately, a lot of military records were lost due to a fire a couple of decades back

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 02:14:24 PM »
For anyone who served before the fire of the 1970s, no records of A through G are available.

Wiped out my father's records as well as mine.  He never mentioned his Bronze Star or Purple Heart while he was alive.  I've no idea how they came about, and now I can't find out.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »
He never mentioned his Bronze Star or Purple Heart while he was alive.
That makes it sound to me like he really earned those medals then.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 05:30:08 AM »
Bernard Brown.

Damn.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 02:46:45 AM »
Yeah, cromlech, most likely.  He never talked a whole lot about it, but from the way he phrased things, it sounded like he regarded the whole deal as a more interesting form of deer hunting.

He got bored after a few days in a rest camp (two weeks off from war) and wandered back Up Front to an artillery outfit.  Their forward observer had been killed by German artillery.  So, he went out to be the FO.  "Camped out" as it were.  He told the story because of the fun he'd had calling in artillery on a German supply route, and the frustration of not being able to "kill a little staff-car thing".  The little staff-car thing of course was a Kubelwagen, and the subject came up because I'd bought a good-used Volkswagen Beetle.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:32:29 PM »
That's not necessarily true..many records were destroyed, but if someone served in the military during that time, there are almost always ways of tracking it down. The medical records and the detail in the files cannot be duplicated but other records do exist.

Barbara

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 12:39:26 PM »
FWIW, my father's Korean service records were also within the group that would have been destroyed and he was able to obtain them.

My best friend's grandfather, whose name began with an F, also has records available, including his status as PoW.

Art, you were old enough to remember when your father returned from the War, correct? Do you recollect where he came from or if he was in a hospital prior to returning home?