Author Topic: Going Postal with a Knife (Humor)  (Read 717 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Going Postal with a Knife (Humor)
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »
I had to go to the post office today to mail a holosight back to Bushnell for warranty repair. The post office has all the boxes, tape, bubble wrap etc one needs to do such a thing.

When I get to the counter I've already pulled the bubble wrap off the shelves and the Postal Clerk is waiting there with the right size box all ready to go. So I open the bubble wrap up and and wrap the boxed holosight in it and it won't fit in the priority ship box.

What to do? What to do? Ahhhh... just cut the bubble wrap down to size so it's just wide enough to fit in the box. I've got a Kershaw Storm folder. It's got a fairly wicked looking blade that's 3 1/2 to 4 inches or so long. So before I pull the thing out I ask the clerk, "You're not gonna freak out if I pull my knife out to cut this bubble wrap are ya"? His reply, "nope, and it's not a knife it's a tool. I've got one my self". So I pull mine out and open it up with a quick flick of the wrist and he pulls his and opens it up. His is bigger and wickeder looking than mine with a black curvy blade about 5 inches long.

Well - we're both standin' there holdin' our knives up for the other to see and he chimes in doing a pretty good Paul Hogan impression with, "That's not a knoif, THIS is a knoif!". We both cracked up and got back to the business at hand. There was an old guy in the next lane over who was watching and he cracked up too. The line behind me probably had about 10 people in it and I glanced back to see what their reaction was and at least 7 were chuckling or smiling with the balance taking no notice at all.

Stuff like that makes me glad I'm an Okie.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Going Postal with a Knife (Humor)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:59:58 AM »
Neato.  But...

it's not a knife it's a tool
   Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »
Neato.  But...

it's not a knife it's a tool
   Huh?
Well - if I had to guess - I'd guess that postal regulations allow Postal Clerks to carry on their persons cutting tools but disallow knives. It'd be a good bet that the manager of that post office has a fairly flexible definition of what constitutes a cutting tool.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:29:57 AM »
Since knives are "contraband" where I work, I carry a Swiss Army Tool in my pocket. Nobody cares.

Of course, on the strong-side pocket resides a CRKT folder...

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »
Yeah, Werewolf, I know what he was saying.  Makes no sense, but I know what he was saying. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife