Author Topic: DFW Job Search Help  (Read 642 times)

SADShooter

• friend
DFW Job Search Help
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:15:26 AM »
I haven't been around much, because I've been working an average of 60+ hours per week for the last 8 months. I recently received the first unsatisfactory performance appraisal of my 10+ year career, and notice of intent to demote me due to "failure to meet reasonable performance standards".

This is a result of management's unwillingness to admit putting too great a load on me, and in turn blaming me when failures/delays occur. Turnover in my office is insanely high. After 21 months, I am the second senior staff member of 5 at my level. I am physically tired, and the psychological impact on me is becoming evident. I am appealing, primarily as a delaying tactic as I don't believe I can win and be vindicated.

I am currently working in a large institutional environment doing biomedical research grant administration. Most of my employment history is governmental, emphasizing social service grant administration at the municipal level.

Bottom line: I need to make a move ASAP. Any members, particularly those in the DFW area, who can offer suggestions or point me in a direction, please help. I'm still relatively new to the area, and haven't developed the networking resources I should have been working on, and I'm not in the best frame of mind to be thinking about creative alternatives.

Thanks,

Scott
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: DFW Job Search Help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:33:09 AM »
www.monster.com
Bad employers suck.  Move on asap.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »
www.careerbuilder.com

www.craigslist.org

2nd the bad employer comment.  I'm in the employment change/search mode as well.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 09:54:42 AM »
I'm in DFW.

I am NOT in gov't, but merely a soulless corporation.

PM me if'n you want more information.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Paddy

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:06:35 AM »
This is a result of management's unwillingness to admit putting too great a load on me, and in turn blaming me when failures/delays occur.
I've heard this over and over again. WTF is it with these government employed management people that makes them such petty freaking little dictators?  I have a good friend in the same kind of situation working for a government agency.  The boss is a self centered little control freak who retaliates against perceived threats via negative performance reviews. I never have and never will work for government.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »
Thanks ,everyone.

jfruser: PM sent.

Riley:

The only "government" entity I know that has a real system for training management is the military, and I hear plenty of unflatteringcomments about that. At the state and local level, supervisory training "may" consist of a two to five day seminar. There's no time or money allocated for anything more. Most managers I've known in my career were promoted into it from a line staff capacity with no training or prior experience in management. The one outstanding manager I've worked for had been Executive Director of a non-profit.

I also have by own hypothesis based on observation about the character of most government employees which I'll share later.

Scott
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch