Author Topic: Energy drinks  (Read 1928 times)

Paddy

Energy drinks
« on: July 21, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »
Anybody use these things?  I just drank a  '5 Hour Energy'  $3 on sale at Walgreens.  That's a lot.  I wonder if it will work.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Energy drinks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:02:53 PM »
A double coffee, a couple of B-complex vitamin gels, and a handful of sugar will do the same thing and cost you a lot less than five bucks.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »
I used to consume a LOT of Red bull when it first came out. Even found a little Korean market that sold just the syrup in 8oz cans. Without carbonation, it's very easy to drink.
There's a 16 oz can you can find at Walmart for $1 a can. I can't remember the name, offhand, but the lime flavor is very good.
Hi.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:19:50 PM »
Riley, and how did it work for you?? I've been contemplating getting some of those for myself. Those 5 Hour Energy drinks have little or no sugar. (8 calories, so they say in the commercial) If they actually work, I think the $3 MIGHT be worth it. Of course some chelated Vit B Complex and a No-Doz might do the same.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

HForrest

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 01:59:24 PM »
Coffee upsets my stomach, so I find myself drinking energy beverages somewhat regularly. SoBe's "NoFear" is pretty easy to find, and in my opinion, is the best-tasting of the mainstream choices available. "Bawl's" is another favorite- comes in a distinctive cobalt-blue glass bottle, and has a unique, refreshing flavor. Somewhat harder to find, though. (They have them at the 7-11 across from Walgreen's... I think they're around $2-ish). Can't comment on the 5-hour energy, but I'm interested to see how it worked for you.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:37:43 PM »
Gentle little lift for a couple of hours now I'm ready for a nap.  It's definitely oversold IMO.  A big cup of coffee would have accomplished the same thing.  zzzzzzzzzzzz

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »
Kilo of Hawaiian blend: $12
Burr Grinder: $50
Gaggia espresso maker (refurb): $150

Damn fine cuppa caffeine: Priceless

(hey, I don't espresso roast the Hawaiian either - I like it tho...)
Blog under construction

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 02:48:06 PM »
Being diabetic, the sugar in most of those energy drinks mess me up. I suppose I'll stick with my B complex liquid and some coffee.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

USMILNET

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Energy drinks? The strongest "energy drink" I consume is Powerade (I suppose in marketing lingo that actually a "sports drink." rolleyes) and then only occasionally when it's really hot outside and I'm golfing.

I don't go for a lot of caffeine. It gets me jazzed up really easily, and I can't stand that.
Andy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »
I like Amp by Mountain Dew.  But can't get it here in Iraq.  We have stuff in the chow hall called Rip It which isn't half bad.  I can't stand Red Bull.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 05:37:19 PM »
Sobe fruit punch beats a hot coffee on a July afternoon.  Don't notice any kind of buzz or lift.

I tried some of that stuff in a little blue and silver can (not sure of the name, maybe red bull) and I could barely choke it down.  Did nothing for me that I could tell.

***Here is where experienced guy says "Well, you need to drink it a few times before you'll feel anything"

7-11 was a part time job.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 11:56:12 PM »
Red Bull is some of the nastiest stuff I've ever tasted, next to spaghetti made with li'l smokies.

I have, however, found one line of energy drink that I like, and that's the Monster coffee series.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 01:05:09 AM »
I've never tried an energy drink.  Maybe it's because a friend tried Red Bull when it first came out and told me it tasted like a urine sample.
For entertainment purposes only.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 07:11:05 AM »
I've never tried an energy drink.  Maybe it's because a friend tried Red Bull when it first came out and told me it tasted like a urine sample.

I have to wonder how/ why your friend would know what a urine sample would taste like???   shocked

USMILNET

The Deer Hunter

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 03:01:45 PM »
I have to wonder how/ why your friend would know what a urine sample would taste like???   shocked

I imagine some kind of mistaken identity or shenanigans involving alcohol or something. grin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »
I tried my first one Saturday.  Something called "Full Throttle."

It worked really fast, so fast I was impressed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 07:11:42 PM »

I was curious, too, but I didn't ask him (I don't think I really wanted to know).
For entertainment purposes only.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »
Coffee upsets my stomach, so I find myself drinking energy beverages

Try good coffee... Not from a can, jar or packet...

Blog under construction

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »
I used to drink Monster LoCarb several times week, but since dramatically cutting back on the caffeine consumption about a month ago I doubt I consume it again outside of a gaming session when I've stopped with the beer and need a boost.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »
Kilo of Hawaiian blend: $12
Burr Grinder: $50
Gaggia espresso maker (refurb): $150

Damn fine cuppa caffeine: Priceless

(hey, I don't espresso roast the Hawaiian either - I like it tho...)

Where do you get 2.2 pounds of Kona coffee (even a blend) for $12?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »
Khaui...

Sam's... The stuff ain't too damn bad...

Blog under construction