Author Topic: Learning to Linux...  (Read 846 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Learning to Linux...
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:37:28 PM »
Hey everybody!

On a whim, since the common-area-computer at this staff-housing place at which I'm staying died, I hooked up my windows-won't-activate desktop tower to the peripherals of the computer that got lightning struck a couple of weeks ago. I also installed an ubuntu disc I had laying around, and so I'm doodling around in ubuntu like a goober.

My current issue is thus:

There are 2 40GB hard drives in this tower. One is obviously being recognized and employed by Ubuntu, because ubuntu is installed onto it. The Disks Manager also sees it, but when I get into the "filesystem"... window I guess? -- it claims there is only 31.someodd GB free. How can I get ubuntu to employ the space on the second drive?

Much appreciated,
~BakerMike

BakerMikeRomeo

Re: Learning to Linux...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:21:48 PM »
Additional Issue: A brief swipe at installing Flash Player so that the other residents can view entertaining or enlightening video content on the internets, in addition to being a DOS-esque fun-pain-in-the-butt to even attempt, rendered unto me an error, claiming my architecture (x86-64 or something-- I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 if that matters) was not supported. When I went to adobe's page, it offered me a list of Linux Flash Installers (x86).

~BakerMike

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:45:06 PM »
I'm not going to guess or try to figure out what is happening. It has been a while since I installed ubuntu, and frankly I've forgotten a lot of stuff.

Try www.ubuntuforums.org - really good community there.

The flash issue I might be able to help with - did you install 64bit ubuntu? If you have it is still possible to install flash, but much more complicated. 64bit is still a work in progress as I understand it, and most stick to 32bit. I have an amd 64 bit processor with 32bit ubuntu and flash working fine.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:25:33 AM »
The Disks Manager also sees it, but when I get into the "filesystem"... window I guess? -- it claims there is only 31.someodd GB free. How can I get ubuntu to employ the space on the second drive?

gparted.  Not how I'd do it, but if you're a mouse baby, that's probably the easiest.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:38:33 AM »
Oh, well, there goes the neighborhood. When I woked up (I didn't mean to type "woked", but it's staying, dammit!) this morning (about fifteen minutes ago), my box was sitting in the hall outside my door. Hm!

Mid-post update!

They fixed the old computer. Meh, now I don't get to spread the Gospel of Saint Linux! Which would be a lot like me spreading the _real_ Gospel. Written in Latin. Backwards. Drunk. On Fire. Shut up!

Thanks for the help, though! When I get home from this suckdump, I'll hook my desktop up and start doodling with linux some more.

~BakerMike