Author Topic: Apple, from Congressional pressure, bans police checkpoint apps  (Read 1520 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Asshats.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2011-06-09-apple-DUI-checkpoints-app_n.htm

Go, Google! (I can't believe I just said that... ;/)

The senators applauded Apple's move to restrict future apps with the checkpoint functionality but said the company also should remove current ones.  "I strongly encourage Apple to take the next responsible step of removing all applications that allow unsafe drivers to evade police checkpoints," Reid said.

Looks like Harry Reid approves of Big-Brother moves to sniff around on people's phones via manufacturer back doors and remove software.  At least, that's what it sounds like.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Apple, from Congressional pressure, bans police checkpoint apps
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »
Happily I own an Android.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
Go Android!

One more reason for me to dislike Apple.  But then, they never truly wanted my business, because I've always liked to mess with MY stuff.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
Happily I own an Android.

...and I own a Blackberry....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »

Canada-based Research In Motion, maker of BlackBerry smartphones, pulled the apps immediately.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:28 PM »
Go 'droid!

I have rooted mine.  Not difficult to do and I don't need google's permission to install stuff.

When the warranty is up, I will play with other kernels & get even more sporty.  Many folks do it in warranty, but I still have not wrung all the functionality out of the existing kernel & apps (save cisci vpn).
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »

Canada-based Research In Motion, maker of BlackBerry smartphones, pulled the apps immediately.

Crap.....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.