Author Topic: Which computer certifications?  (Read 1215 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Which computer certifications?
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »
And how does that mess all work, anyway?

I worked for 20 years as a graphic designer, basically doing 99% of my own tech support (I'd only call our tech guys if there was something that was _really_ fubar.. They _really_ hated getting calls from me, because they generally couldn't get it to work either...). Got laid off a little while back, when they sent the creative portion of the business to an outsourcing agency, who had one "benefit" listed as "operations in India, ensuring next-day turnover." My researchers didn't consider that a benefit, but nobody asked them... Well, I've decompressed, and it's time...

I am VERY good at communicating scientific and engineering concepts, and working with a widely diverse group of people, but don't really wanna screw with the graphics world... Don't have much of a portfolio (downside of working in an R&D environment is that most of what you're doing is secret squirrel material), and also don't feel like doing the all-nighters and crap required... Have some glowing recommendations from former VP/CEO types.

So, thinking of getting some certs, etc... Object is to cover something that is NOT going to get shopped to India or China... Thinking security, on-site network support, etc., etc...

What would you guys suggest?

Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Which computer certifications?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 01:55:04 PM »
run away from computers..  I'm about about the unleash 6 rounds of 158 grn .357 magnum on this laptop.

This has to be the strangest day ever for me in the computer world. Must be a new worm/trojan/spyware/virus rattling around.

Being an all around problem solver and people/project/machine manager will get you the farthest.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:37:08 PM »
Experience speaks much louder than certification.  If you have the experience, then you can just go to a boot camp to get the certs (and a good employer will pay for that).  If you don't have the experience and you go to the camp anyway, you'll either flop right out of the interview, or you'll perform poorly in your job.  We're already way overloaded with idjits with MCSEs.

If you like just the networking side of it, I recommend the MCP/MCSA path, with some Cisco thrown in.  Hit the networking related Microsoft courses, and then go as far as you can with the Cisco.  An MCSE is fine, but being certified on a desktop OS as part of your training is kinda pointless if you're in it for the networking.

Don't discount the Comp-TIA exams.  Get them.  They're cheap, easy, and they give you an enormous benefit that you might not have considered...  They are the prerequisites for the manufacturer certifications.  HP, Dell, IBM, whatever, offer certifications on their hardware.  They're pretty cheap, they're easy exams, and instead of just being certified on the server's OS, you can also be certified by the manufacturer of the hardware.  Since both Dell and HP make a number of popular networking products...  With that cert, your company can become a certified provider for the manufacturer.  You'll be able to RMA hardware without going through tech support's pointless diagnosis routine.  Manufacturer certs are a sneaky one that nobody considers for some reason.

If you want to do security, get crackin'.  With that route, the answer to your question is "all of them."  A real hotshot security guru needs a whole pile of certifications from pretty much everybody.  Microsoft, Cisco, Comp-TIA, and SANS.  It's a bitch to get it all, but it pays better than anything else.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:52:29 PM »
Cisco and EMC certs still seem to be hot. I've specialized in AIX for the past 7 years myself. There are about 50 Sun or HP UNIX guys for every AIX knowledgeable person out there, though. Although I just revealed my secret, I always have a wide range of jobs to choose from at widely varying pay rates.

Database administration isn't going away any time soon, although a buttload of it has gone to India as far as development. Oracle and DB2 will always be around. Hands-on, onsite admin is always going to be in demand. Same for security product certification - E-Trust, Verisign, and in this area, Retek.

Storage admins, such as with EMC, Hitachi and IBM Shark/DS will be hot for the forseeable future.
McData and Cisco are pretty much the de facto standards for networking.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:24:12 PM »
What's the best way/best reputable outfit to shake'n'bake a few relatively quickly? Total immersion? Would really prefer to avoid a situation like an Autocad class I took a while back - Took about two-three months, two nights a week, mostly yawning while the instructor worked with the slow folks... Got top grade in the class, but it was largely a waste of my time... I'd much rather drive somewhere, do a few solid days of school, and be done...

Blog under construction

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:28:50 PM »
Then you need a boot camp.
I'll check with my friend who went that route and get you some info.

I'm sure a Google search will turn up results, but the problem will lie in separating wheat from chaff in that scenario.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:36:02 PM »
Hey, thanks... I really do best when I'm pushed in something like that... No TV, no ancillary reading, a do-not-disturb sign on the door, and the hotel room covered with post-it notes... When I get through, I can teach the subject.

Blog under construction

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »
EVERYTHING, can be pushed offshore to India, at least technically.

Thereoreticaly, if a corporation was willing to put up with the language/accent barrier, they'd only need some low-level A+ Certified Desktop PC techs to do hands on work, (and even that can be done away with by hot-swapping preconfigured PC's via FedEx to some degree...), a on-call printer/photocopier guy, and one network/LAN tech to be sure the Indian offshore people could connect in to do support.

That's it. Now the managerial, economic, and political realities mean that no company will get offshored to this degree, but it's possible. There's no technical reasons why.

If you want true security, you need to get into IT-related fields that can't be offshored for privacy or regulatory reasons, namely HR systems like Peoplesoft, medical systems that deal with HIPPA data, and audit regulatory stuff like SOX (Sarbanes Oxley, google it...) compliance, and sensitive financials like SAP.

That's the stuff that can't ever go offshore due to security reasons. Even "security" is offshored, since I work in "security" and half our team is in Bangalore.

I promise not to duck.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 05:33:42 PM »
Boges,

Check your IM's.

Fig

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:34:46 PM »
Well, I'm also figuring that you'll be looking at certain economies of scale - I'm guessing that a company has to be fairly large itself to outsource really major portions...

Or maybe I should just to go to vo-ed and become a mechanic...

Blog under construction

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 06:39:44 AM »
Server support.  It is really hard to outsource server support.  All big companies want their servers onsite.

You can go for Network Security too but it is a long hard road.  Cisco certs are the most valuable in the market because it seems everyone has a MCP/MCSA/MCSE anymore.  Comp-TIA are good certs but don't rest just on certs alone, get some hands on experience.

No one I work with has certifications but we all have 4+ yrs hands on experience.