Author Topic: Scott Brown to back Democrats' jobs bill  (Read 3616 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Scott Brown to back Democrats' jobs bill
« on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:56 AM »
Scott Brown to back Democrats' jobs bill

By Ben Pershing
Newly elected Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) will vote to advance Democrats' $15 billion jobs bill Monday evening, breaking with his party and giving Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) one of the two votes he needs to move the measure forward.

Democrats have sought to pressure Brown into backing the measure, pointing out that he captured the late Sen. Edward Kennedy's (D) seat by promising to be an independent voice. With Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) absent following his cancer diagnosis, Democrats need at least two Republican votes to reach the 60 necessary to move to final passage later this week, and so far no other GOP senator has announced plans to support the measure.

"I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside, and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families," Brown said in a statement issued by his office. "This Senate jobs bill is not perfect. I wish the tax cuts were deeper and broader, but I will vote for it because it contains measures that will help put people back to work.

"I was disappointed with the continuation of politics-as-usual in the drafting of this bill, as it was crafted behind closed doors, without transparency and accountability. I hope for improvements in that process going forward. All of us, Republicans and Democrats, have to work together to get our economy back on track. I hope my vote today is a strong step toward restoring bipartisanship in Washington

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/02/scott-brown-to-back-democrats.html?wprss=44

Micro Sez: At least he stopped healthcare reform, I suppose?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

taurusowner

Re: Scott Brown to back Democrats' jobs bill
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:09:14 AM »
Well so much for that.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 03:07:20 AM »
Yep, he did one thing he thought was right that we disagree with.

Time to hang him in effigy or some nonsense.  ;/

Screw this party line bullcrap and screw the idiots who keep insisting on it.

Both political parties can go straight to hell.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:15:02 AM »
I'm not a resident of his state.  But when I vote for Republicans, it's to have them oppose Democrats, not join them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
Other than his opposition to health care, weren't people expecting this from him though? At least that's what I was reading on most of the interwebz politics sites I browse.

In my opinion, this is one of the reasons people do stuff like give Ron Paul the win at CPAC straw polls. They may not buy into the full Libertarian philosophy, but they're sick of Reps and Dems being big machines with slightly different programming. People are sending a message, and neither party is listening.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »
Most of us who paid any attention at all recognized early on that Brown was far from ideal . . . but the hope is still alive that he'll turn out to be an improvement over what he replaced.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »
I expected it the second he started robo-calling for McCain, rather than backing Tea Party candidates.

He's a tool.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:59:48 AM »
I think anyone who was paying attention saw this coming. Scotty serves to oppose the healthcare bill and remind the powers that be that they aren't safe. That's it. He's a Taxachusett's poli-critter ffs, not Barry Goldwater reborn. Let's take what we can get...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
We've been "taking what we can get" for forty years.  Now look where we are.  Obviously the push-back is going to have to be far more dramatic than just the symbolic gesture of capturing "the Kennedy seat."

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »
We've been "taking what we can get" for forty years.  Now look where we are.  Obviously the push-back is going to have to be far more dramatic than just the symbolic gesture of capturing "the Kennedy seat."

;/

If you think MA is going to elect someone who actually supports the values of most of the people on here you're dreaming. Someone like Brown is the best we can hope for.

Now, on a larger scale I agree that we need to stop settling for the infamous lesser evil, but let's be realistic...

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:32 AM »
;/

If you think MA is going to elect someone who actually supports the values of most of the people on here you're dreaming. Someone like Brown is the best we can hope for.

Now, on a larger scale I agree that we need to stop settling for the infamous lesser evil, but let's be realistic...
Agreed . . . remember, it's the people of Massachusettes who kept re-electing a killer to be their senior senator, I hold NO hope for them to actually elect someone good. "Less bad" really IS the best we can hope for from there. (And that applies to past and possible future Presidential candidate Mitt Romney as well.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
My point was to not get too carried away by Brown's election.  I'm familiar with Mass. politics, by the way, and, yes, it's better than the usual by a good margin, but the frothy talk of Brown as a possible 2012 candidate is obviously not only premature but delirious.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »
My point was to not get too carried away by Brown's election.  I'm familiar with Mass. politics, by the way, and, yes, it's better than the usual by a good margin, but the frothy talk of Brown as a possible 2012 candidate is obviously not only premature but delirious.

I've not heard anyone saying anything like that. But then I don't live in CA. You should seriously move to a free state longeyes, I bet it'd improve your outlook on life...  ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 04:30:12 PM »
I've not heard anyone saying anything like that. But then I don't live in CA. You should seriously move to a free state longeyes, I bet it'd improve your outlook on life...  ;)

I've heard it.

Mostly from MSM sources that want to try and co-opt a REAL conservative candidate for 2012.  CNN, PMSNBC and so on.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
I remember being assured on this very board by more than one poster that Brown really was a conservative.  Go figure...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
I remember being assured on this very board by more than one poster that Brown really was a conservative.  Go figure...

HTG has not chimed in on this thread yet.

So far as I can tell, most of us here digging at Brown are consistent in our digs.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=22697.25
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
I think anyone who was paying attention saw this coming. Scotty serves to oppose the healthcare bill and remind the powers that be that they aren't safe. That's it. He's a Taxachusett's poli-critter ffs, not Barry Goldwater reborn. Let's take what we can get...

After this comment, the thread was over.  Some of you just don't know it yet.

The significance of Brown is that he ran as the anti-Obamacare candidate, and he took Ted Kennedy's Senate seat on that platform.  In Massachusetts.  A failure to toe the line on various issues doesn't take that victory away from us, and by "us," I mean anyone who opposes Democratic health deform.  Heck, he could turn around and vote for Obamacare, and his victory would still be a Very Good Sign for our side. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Salty1

• North Texas Arms
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:37 PM »
This bill was going to pass anyway so why should he vote against it just to toe party lines? Remember that he is from a very liberal state and is only filling in for the remainder of Kennedy's term. Since he will soon have to run again for a full term why get the liberals in Mass screaming for his head? He may just be the smartest person in the senate, voting for what he feels is right for the state he represents rather than be dictated to by a party. Personally I believe moderate candidates are what is needed to get this country back on track...

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
Personally I believe moderate candidates are what is needed to get this country back on track...

;/

Yep. 

Half-health care.  Half the additional taxes.  Half the magazine capacity.  Half the 1st amendment.

Yep.  Moderate candidates are the bulwark of unaccountable legislative mediocrity.
--Lysander Spooner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »
This bill was going to pass anyway so why should he vote against it just to toe party lines? Remember that he is from a very liberal state and is only filling in for the remainder of Kennedy's term. Since he will soon have to run again for a full term why get the liberals in Mass screaming for his head? He may just be the smartest person in the senate, voting for what he feels is right for the state he represents rather than be dictated to by a party. Personally I believe moderate candidates are what is needed to get this country back on track...

Here's a novel idea:
Howabout politicians who worry less about being reelected, and instead focus on upholding thier integrity and word?  Scott Brown was elected on the backs of the Tea Party, and even if the bill would have passed anyway, should vote against it.  Instead, he's slapping them in the face in a bid to be reelected.  Figures.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
Here's a novel idea:
Howabout politicians who worry less about being reelected, and instead focus on upholding thier integrity and word?  

Wrong answer.  A politician should first of all do what the voters want him to do (thereby helping his chances of reelection).  Doing "the right thing," against the will of the voters, has its place but shouldn't be the norm.  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife