Author Topic: First Family Enjoying the Good Life  (Read 4734 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
First Family Enjoying the Good Life
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2103173/Just-weeks-17-day-Hawaii-holiday-Michelle-Obama-takes-daughters-ski-trip-Aspen.html

Just weeks after 17-day Hawaii vacation Michelle hits the slopes with daughters on Aspen ski trip

With the economy on its knees, many American families have had to forgo their annual holiday just to make ends meet.

But barely a month after returning from a luxury Christmas break in Hawaii Michelle Obama is on holiday again - this time at the exclusive Colorado ski resort of Aspen. It's her 16th holiday since her husband took office.

This is not BHO rant - I am simply stunned that a sitting First Family, in an election year, during a difficult economy, would not at least make an attempt to try and show a little restraint, common sense, and humility to the rest of the nation.

More importantly, the cost to the taxpayers for these 'vacations' is ridiculous.

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Chester32141

• friend
Re: First Family Enjoying the Good Life
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

If the peasants are hungry ... Let them eat cake ...  :facepalm:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »
And all presidents do this. I think they should pay for non-official travel. GWB was low key, hiding out in Crawford but it took a lot of $$$ to secure that place.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
And all presidents do this. I think they should pay for non-official travel. GWB was low key, hiding out in Crawford but it took a lot of $$$ to secure that place.
Agreed - my disdain crosses all party lines on this.
'Course, Pelosi racked up a bunch as speaker flying back to Kali.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
No, all presidents don't do this, and certainly not in a recession. They've gone to Camp David or to their homes. GW stopped playing golf when we went into Afghanistan and Iraq, as he didn't think it would look right.

Obama is completely tone deaf.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
When you're historic, you're entitled.  Don't believe me?  Ask Michelle.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
Michelle isn't president, who cares what she does? I don't, especially if it means the she isn't leading the charge against "bad" music/food/entertainment/drugs/guns etc. It's not like the Obamas weren't rich before the presidency.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
Michelle isn't president, who cares what she does? I don't, especially if it means the she isn't leading the charge against "bad" music/food/entertainment/drugs/guns etc. It's not like the Obamas weren't rich before the presidency.

It'd be fine if they were spending their own money, but they're not. The security detail alone costs taxpayers millions per trip. If it weren't for that, I'd want them on vacation ALL the time; at least that way Obama wouldn't be actively screwing us.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »
It'd be fine if they were spending their own money, but they're not. The security detail alone costs taxpayers millions per trip. If it weren't for that, I'd want them on vacation ALL the time; at least that way Obama wouldn't be actively screwing us.
Bingo! You are exactly correct!

Wrong! Spin again. Regolith hit the nail that you missed.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 02:19:18 AM »
Her behavior is a flagrant insult to the American citizen.  She should be insulted back, no matter who complains or how loudly.  A few do just that, but most are still deferential or timid.  We keep trying to pretend that we are not in an all-out culture war with the Left that can only end with one side or the other utterly devastated. 
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »
IMO, if they just went to their home in Chicago or some other fixed/repeat location like Camp David or Crawford, I wouldn't have so much of an issue.  The money is spent once to secure it and set up residence for all the support people.  By going to different locations all the time and by going to very expensive locations, this is costing a ton of money every single time.  Don't forget all the "friends" that went with them.

In addition, in places like Crawford, you know damn well Bush was still working, he just wasn't in D.C.  I'd want to do that same were I in that position.  I would hope the same is true about Obama.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »

Not really. A good security system (one time fixed cost), and maybe 3-5 Secret Service agents when he's not there. Call it $100-200k one time cost, maybe another $100k for vehicle(s)/weapons/misc already on the books and $150k-$300k in annual expenses.  Sounds expensive, but honestly, a single POTUS mobile visit is probably five times that expense, per day. During a POTUS visit, sure, it'd hop up quite a bit.

Fixed site security is cheap compared to the prep work of a First Family visit. I saw the First Family visit the Baltimore Aquarium, probably 50+ local cops (all in vehicles), over a dozen feds in fed vans and a couple Suburbans. Local businesses in Inner Harbor were essentially shut down with no notice for over 4 hours, and the revenue losses alone were probably higher than a fixed site security annual budget.

Those kinds of unannounced visits can be highly disruptive to the locals. Not a huge deal, except it's not even taken into account with a POTUS or First Family visit.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
No, all presidents don't do this, and certainly not in a recession. They've gone to Camp David or to their homes. GW stopped playing golf when we went into Afghanistan and Iraq, as he didn't think it would look right.

Obama is completely tone deaf.
I think it's more a case of Obama owning the allegiance of the major media - stuff that they'd lead with on TV or splash on Page 1 above the fold for Bush doesn't even make it into Section D when it involves Obama.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
Security today is a show of force, not just pragmatic self-defense.  It's not just the President or The First Lady, it's a growing trend everywhere.  About two weeks a guy was apprehended after driving the wrong way on the 5 here.  They had five choppers and half a dozen or more police cruisers involved in a Hollywood-style chase.  Too many people have seen too many action flicks.

As for the obvious extravagance of The First Family, our toleration of the manifest abuse says something profound about the real, not imagined, state of our liberty and, beyond that, psychic resolve.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
Maybe they figure they'll be gone come January, and are making the most of available resources.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
Sure, let's keep that Praetorian Guard budget impregnable.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
Security today is a show of force, not just pragmatic self-defense.

Or a show of status.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
Or a show of status.
Yup- that covers Bloomberg's private army in NYC.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:39 PM »
Yes, that's right, status too.  But the bigger the show the more, at bottom, they fear us.  There is no amount of "security" that could stop a riled-up, coordinated people.  And they know this.  It's not the men in blue or black that matter, it's the systematic psychological intimidation that renders most people docile and obedient.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:23:44 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
Yes, that's right, status too.  But the bigger the show the more, at bottom, they fear us.  There is no amount of "security" that could stop a riled-up, coordinated people.  And they know this.  It's not men in blue or blue that matter, it's the systematic psychological intimidation that renders most people docile and obedient.

Well put. All Government is based on "the systematic psychological intimidation that renders most people docile and obedient".

It's all a show...  do what we say or else. Come to think of it, they have no legitimacy, only violence.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 05:12:52 PM »
 But the bigger the show the more, at bottom, they fear us.  There is no amount of "security" that could stop a riled-up, coordinated people.  And they know this.

In my own adult lifetime, the Shah, Ferdinand Marcos & Nicolai Ceausescu.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.