Author Topic: Obama to Banks: "Lend to More People"  (Read 4843 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Obama to Banks: "Lend to More People"
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »
Holy crap, it's not The Onion.

First he blames banks for "bad lending practices" and giving loans to people for more than they can afford. Now he's telling banks to give loans to people with poor credit because "they deserve a home too". I'll be interested to see who gets blamed for the next housing crash when the loans default.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/obama-administration-pushes-banks-to-make-home-loans-to-people-with-weaker-credit/2013/04/02/a8b4370c-9aef-11e2-a941-a19bce7af755_story.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Obama to Banks: "Lend to More People"
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »
Student loans are going to implode first, before the housing market/mortgage vehicles does again IMO.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Not at all surprised.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »
I'll be interested to see who gets blamed for the next housing crash when the loans default.

Predatory lenders and hateful middle and lower class folks who pay their mortgages. 

Just read an article where it was blaming white folks for particular neighborhoods losing "diversity" as they relocated because they wanted their kids to go to better schools and not be tormented by ethnic gangs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »
First he blames banks for "bad lending practices" and giving loans to people for more than they can afford. Now he's telling banks to give loans to people with poor credit because "they deserve a home too". I'll be interested to see who gets blamed for the next housing crash when the loans default.

Wasn't Obama, but that's literally how the subprime mortgage disaster started.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
Student loans are going to implode first, before the housing market/mortgage vehicles does again IMO.

I wonder if this happens, and the student loan market falls to crap, will colleges reduce tuition like housing prices fell after that crash...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:06:08 PM »
Wasn't Obama, but that's literally how the subprime mortgage disaster started.

Everyone remembers that, except for Democratic voters.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
I wonder if this happens, and the student loan market falls to crap, will colleges reduce tuition like housing prices fell after that crash...
No, Pell Grant eligibility will be increased and limits raised.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »

and they are sending one of the architects of that idea to the White House in November. I'm not talking about Bernie either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
From what I've heard about the market, the banks could indeed stop dragging their feet about issuing loans to people with even slightly blemished credit.  Basically, they over-reacted and while people with great credit can get really low interest rate loans, they simply aren't available for those with muddied credit that still have the ability to pay.

The trick is to keep to the fundamentals -
Can they realistically afford the payments?
Do they have a down payment?
Is the home worth it?

So called 'NINJA' loans - No Income, Job, or Assets, need to stay gone.  Mortgage buyers need to keep on the first level lender/sellers and make sure they aren't issuing then selling loans fraudulently.

Ultimately though, it should the banks that make that decision, not the politicians.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 02:59:55 PM »
Ultimately though, it should the banks that make that decision, not the politicians.

Why do you hate poor people?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 03:35:53 PM »

I am a Democratic voter.  =D

Firethorn is correct. Sure, banks could be less picky, but ultimately they should be deciding their own risk. And we should not bail them out when they screw up.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:57:03 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »

So called 'NINJA' loans - No Income, Job, or Assets, need to stay gone.

Student loans?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
I am a Democratic voter. And pointed that out.  =D

Everybody knows that too. :P

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 07:07:52 PM »
From what I've heard about the market, the banks could indeed stop dragging their feet about issuing loans to people with even slightly blemished credit.

Not picking on you, Firethorn, but I wish the banks would stop dragging their feet on lending to people with excellent credit.  Such as me.

I'm near the end of getting a re-fi mortgage for my house and it seems like the bank wants more info and reports than when I bought the house.  Our credit scores are over 800, we have high income, only debt is the house (we own the land free and clear), and we pay our bills early.  They still want a ton of paperwork, tax filings, dental records, DNA tests, one kidney, and three of my baby teeth.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 07:30:46 PM »
Student loans?

Should be treated as a form of unsecured credit.  That being said, institutions should be free to decide whether to loan or not based on the prospects of the student. 

IE $100k/year for 6 years to be an elementary school teacher might not be a good investment.

Or, to put it another way - there's a difference between a student who's getting certification for something and has even today a pretty good chance of finding a job out of college that pays decently, and a chronically unemployed person looking to buy a house, where the house doesn't change his employment chances significantly.

They still want a ton of paperwork, tax filings, dental records, DNA tests, one kidney, and three of my baby teeth

That's a big part of the problem.  They've over-reacted and aren't loaning out the capital that the low fed rate makes so cheap.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
Those that forget/ignore/denounce the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 10:54:12 PM »
Not picking on you, Firethorn, but I wish the banks would stop dragging their feet on lending to people with excellent credit.  Such as me.

I'm near the end of getting a re-fi mortgage for my house and it seems like the bank wants more info and reports than when I bought the house.  Our credit scores are over 800, we have high income, only debt is the house (we own the land free and clear), and we pay our bills early.  They still want a ton of paperwork, tax filings, dental records, DNA tests, one kidney, and three of my baby teeth.

I would hazard a guess that the banks don't require that information...it's the federal government that demands they require the info.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:04 AM »
I would hazard a guess that the banks don't require that information...it's the federal government that demands they require the info.
Yes, I bought a house recently, my loan is through a national Bank because I have excellent credit and they offered the lowest rate and cheapest closing costs. The amount of paperwork was crazy and almost all of it was demanded by the feds. I'm glad I got approved for loan before October 1, 2015 because the amount of paperwork increasedone even more.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
Those that forget/ignore/denounce the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

Those that do learn the lessons of history are doomed to helplessly watch them repeat.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »

Yep. HUD paperwork is always the bulk of it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama