Author Topic: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood  (Read 12801 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/08/23/coyotes-kill-several-dogs-in-arapahoe-county/

Local authorities told frustrated neighbors they shouldn’t try to shoot or trap the coyotes and suggested hiring a professional to catch them.

Last year I had to warn one of my neighbors who has her grandaughter (about 5-6yo) stay with her periodically to keep a close eye on the kid because of the coyotes wandering around in the pastures.

"What coyotes?"

Hell's bells, all you have to look around to see them coursing back and forth, especially around sunset, but in broad daylight as well.

'Nuff said.

Terry, 230RN

More:

http://www.info.com/search?qcat=web&qkw=coyote+attacks+near+highline
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:26:06 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:49:14 AM »
A good idea to carry a walking stick in that neighborhood.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
A good idea to carry a walking boom stick in that neighborhood.

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
Makes me wonder if someone makes a walking stick with a brass end cap that a spear point can be added to easily.  I know about the self defense canes.  Yes, a gun would be better, but a good walking stick is a good backup.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
Makes me wonder if someone makes a walking stick with a brass end cap that a spear point can be added to easily.  I know about the self defense canes.  Yes, a gun would be better, but a good walking stick is a good backup.
I wonder if a co2 powered dart gun could be made or adapted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:14:36 AM »
Some folks just need to move back into the Urban Jungle. Sounds like they can't handle suburbia and the outlying areas.

Coyotes are nothing to worry about unless you are a house cat or small dog.  We got one running the neighborhood south of me and most of the residents are scared shitless of the thing.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:59 AM »
I haven't seen yotes in my neighborhood but there has been a fox or two spotted.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
Here in suburban Snohomish County 25 miles north of Seattle, there is a fair amount of coyotes and rabbits in the local neighborhoods.  I usually see them when I am out riding my bicycle at 0530.  I think they live in the surrounding greenbelts, treed areas and the Seattle City Light rightaway.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
If I'm not mistook, I believe there has been at least one actual biting attack on a grown human around here.  I also think there was an instance of a coyote chasing a bicyclist.  But don't quote me on either of those.

I've got a bad pic of a coyote carrying its prey and being harassed by a magpie, presumably to make him/it drop the prey (small critter, mouse/vole/squirrel/?).  New point 'n shoot camera, not focused properly, but you can see the prey dangling from the coy's mouth, and the magpie coming in for another swoop on the right.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:52:53 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »
Some folks just need to move back into the Urban Jungle. Sounds like they can't handle suburbia and the outlying areas.

Coyotes are nothing to worry about unless you are a house cat or small dog.  We got one running the neighborhood south of me and most of the residents are scared shitless of the thing.
Tell that to Taylor Mitchell.

Oh, I'm sorry - you can't.  She was killed by a pack of coyotes.

I wouldn't have believed it either before it happened.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
Local authorities told frustrated neighbors they shouldn’t try to shoot or trap the coyotes and suggested hiring a professional to catch them.

Typical nanny state response. "You can't possibly take care of this yourself. Leave it to the professionals."

Last I knew, coyotes weren't a protected species in any state. In my state, which now has a coyote problem, they are not native; they are an invasive species. But, like Denver, I'm not allowed to trap them or shoot them. I've been through the professional trapper bit when I had a raccoon take up residence in my attic. Trapper came, trapped the raccoon, took it away ... and a year later I had a raccoon (the same one, or another? Who knows.) in my attic. Rinse and repeat. After the second time I closed off the gable vent the raccoon(s) was (were) using as an entrance.

I can hear coyotes at night, and they aren't far away. I worry a lot when my daughter's toy poodle needs to go out at night. She's restricted to a 50' x 50' fenced yard, so she can't wander too far, but a coyote could jump the fence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »

Coyotes survive quite nicely in urban environments as well.  I saw a documentary with video of them cruising Chicago at night.  They're extremely resourceful and elusive.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »
Nearly ran down a 'yote early this morning (2:30-ish) coming back from a coffee run.  Itty-bitty park/wayside across a creek (35 feet wide at that point) sort of marking the fact that 50 miles away was the first commercial iron ore mine in the state.  The point being that there is one heck of an "urban wilderness" running through the middle of the urban/industrial belt with a high probability of enough wild fauna to sustain the 'yote family.

Couple of days ago I drove past the local elementary/middle school complex and noticed a large scattering of Canado goose feathers on the lawn.  A flock of those migratory avians has been in permanent residence for about 3 years now.  Wonder if another 'yote family (possibly from the nearby reservoir) has found a buffet.

There are all sorts of hits on Google of coyotes "invading" the urban landscape.  100 square miles of high plains or one square mile of urban smorgasbord?  Which would you choose?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
Interesting timing, I saw a coyote (a good sized one too) run across the road as I was driving to work. It was pretty interesting, it hopped across the road right quick and then just disappeared. I hadn't really been paying attention to the shoulders, but when I saw that happen I looked a little closer. Tall grass growing in a ditch, and an unobstructed path to more tall grass in the field next door. Amazing how it just got swallowed up in an instant.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
An interesting thing to point out is that being Denver, there is a high likelihood that there are mountain lions just as close by.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 01:28:36 PM »
We have them here in Northern VA. 

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
The coyote is a survivor
I reckon he's got to be
He lives in the snow at forty below
Or in Malibu by the sea

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
We have a lot of coyotes around The Swamp here in Southern Michigan. Hear them a lot at night.

If they show up in the yard during the daytime I give them an express ticket to H-e-double-hockey-sticks.

I have two small coyote snacks to watch out for.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »
Tell that to Taylor Mitchell.

Oh, I'm sorry - you can't.  She was killed by a pack of coyotes.

I wouldn't have believed it either before it happened.

That would be that one in a million chance.

Were they coyotes or coy-dogs. Coy-dogs are a whole different animal in behavior.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
We could use a few coyotes or large owls here; or maybe a bobcat.  The rabbit population is exploding, and there's also too many squirrels and nonmigratory Canada geese.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »

Were they coyotes or coy-dogs. Coy-dogs are a whole different animal in behavior.

May be a rare occurrence, but you only have to get eaten by coyotes once to ruin your whole day  =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »
May be a rare occurrence, but you only have to get eaten by coyotes once to ruin your whole day  =D

Probably a higher probability that you will catch Ebola vs being eaten by a coyote.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
We've got a couple of yotes in the neighborhood.  Across the street from us, the properties butt up against a heavily wooded green space that's maybe 20-30 acres.  Lots of bunnies down in the neighborhood, and I've even seen deer on our street (there's a small creek that runs just across the street from us).  Add in the ducks, geese, and other assorted fauna, and I'm not at all surprised to see coyotes.  We've got a small dog, but he's indoor/backyard only, and we've got a 6 foot cedar fence around the whole backyard - lot easier prey for the yote than he is. 

Having said all that, one of them shows up in my yard he's most likely to get a ribcage full of buckshot.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Probably a higher probability that you will catch Ebola vs being eaten by a coyote.

Or die of ebola and then get eaten by coyotes  :P

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »

East coast yotes are odd too. Bigger for one. Bolder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I