Author Topic: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood  (Read 12800 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
A guy I used to bike with hit a deer while doing 25+ mph on an expensive carbon bike.  He was pretty banged up, the bike was trashed, and I think the deer died as well.

Chris

Ouch.

I didn't see what happened to the deer I hit, when I stood up and shook it off, the deer was gone. Of course I was three sheets to the wind on a bar ride, can't be charged with DUI on a bicycle in Iowa so that was a preferred mode of transportation in the warm months. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »
I'm not seriously concerned about coyote attacks on humans, but now I am aware that it could happen.

I shoot every coyote that I can get sights on because they are a menace to our free range chickens and cats.  No burial - just leave them scattered around as a warning for the others.

Last one I was able to get because our little dog chased it and then the coyote chased the dog back towards the house.  Bang!   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Ouch.

I didn't see what happened to the deer I hit, when I stood up and shook it off, the deer was gone. Of course I was three sheets to the wind on a bar ride, can't be charged with DUI on a bicycle in Iowa so that was a preferred mode of transportation in the warm months. 

Actually, the more I think about it, I think he was doing over 35.  He's a fast dude and didn't have much time to react.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
Was riding stoned on co canal tow path saw a dear cross right in front of me in my "condition" I first thought it was a dog a god specifically I remember thinking "that's the biggest gosh darned shepherd I ever saw !" And then I hit the water. Deer was staring when I surfaced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »
Coyotes..meh.
We have them in our yard. No big deal. We just have the neighborhood kids play in 'packs' when they go into the woods, and tell them to stay together.

Wolves, OTOH- I can't wait until they make it into the burbs. I will absolutely savor the screams of indignation when the urban environmentalists get their pets and kids eaten.  They are the ones that foisted this crap on the rural folk in the northern part of the state.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
With my nocturnal schedule I see 'yotes pretty regularly, probably a couple a week. Last cougar encounter though was several months ago at the VFW. I'm no longer on their menu, too old.

What was she 90?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »
What was she 90?

I'm too old for their menu =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »
There seem to be two varieties of coyote around here in Western WA.

One is a skinny brownish bedraggled looking creature about 40 lbs or so.
The other is a German Shepard sized broad chested animal- usually grayish in color. The first time I saw one I would have sworn it was a small wolf, but according to the "experts", we don't have wolves here.  My neighbor has alpaca's, and he sees the 'yote's around outside the fence-line- he used to hunt coyotes in Montana and was amazed at how big the ones here are. I have no idea if they are a mix with a dog or wolf or what. They pack up a bit too, not unusual to see several together. 
 I would certainly not feel comfortable letting a young child play by themselves outdoors any more. Not like 20 years ago -way more coyotes around.
They do make the new neighbors from the city a bit nervous with all their shrieking and howling!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
I think it was mentioned earlier but eastern coyotes are often coywolves, coyotes with wolf DNA.

http://www.livescience.com/39184-what-is-a-coywolf.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_wolf-coyote_hybrid
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »
Cows kill more people annually then coyotes do, but you don't hear about "I'm going to shoot that cow if it comes near my house".

Deer are more deadly than coyotes.

http://list25.com/25-animals-responsible-killing-humans/

Do they have bounties on cows?

Last I heard, it was $7.50 for a pair of coyote ears in Colorado under the law or regs, but at one time it was $50, funded by some farmer and rancher organization.

A lot of states have bounties on them.  Must be a reason, despite that its effectiveness and "humaneness" are debatable in some quarters.

I reckon the reason they call it "varmint hunting" is because they're hunting.... ummm... "varmints."

Terry, 230RN

REF (Part of the "debate," reasonably fair, but the author's viewpoint is clear):
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/04/25/coyote-hunting-contests-california

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:58:44 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

• friends
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 03:30:02 PM »
Yotes are shoot on sight here

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »

I would bet that is the rule in most places around the country.  Even if not most people wouldn't mind.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »

Yep, unwritten rule of the West  =)

Also, rattlesnakes  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
Here rattlers are rare copperheads are my trouble. I go with in the yard dead outside yard I leave em alone. I finally got 2 dogs smart enough not to get bit

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
Yeah, this neighbor has three lamas too, and they also seem to be coyote resistant.

You have a neighbor who's hosting three Buddhist holy men? Cool.

Lamas:

Llamas:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2014, 10:19:19 PM »
You have a neighbor who's hosting three Buddhist holy men? Cool.

Lamas:
[img]http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy58/un-known_artist/3mnche.jpg

Llamas:
[img]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/pugsley0134/Mikeys%20Gallery/Lamas.jpg

Reincarnation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2014, 06:19:24 AM »
Reincarnation.

Reintarnation: "I came back as a what?!?!?"
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
I want to come back as a girl's bicycle seat.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
Do they have bounties on cows?

Last I heard, it was $7.50 for a pair of coyote ears in Colorado under the law or regs, but at one time it was $50, funded by some farmer and rancher organization.

A lot of states have bounties on them.  Must be a reason, despite that its effectiveness and "humaneness" are debatable in some quarters.

I reckon the reason they call it "varmint hunting" is because they're hunting.... ummm... "varmints."

Terry, 230RN

REF (Part of the "debate," reasonably fair, but the author's viewpoint is clear):
http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/04/25/coyote-hunting-contests-california

In Iowa no bounty on coyotes, hasn't been for at least 50 years.

Escaped livestock can be shot without consequences, feral pigs are kill on sight.

Rattlesnakes are now protected because of low lumbers.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »
I want to come back as a girl's bicycle seat.

Careful what you wish for.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »
Careful what you wish for.

He said a girl's not Shamu's.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Re: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »

Escaped livestock can be shot without consequences, feral pigs are kill on sight.

I think you have a typo.

Pretty sure you meant "low lumbars."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »

Montana is still open range.  You have to fence livestock out.

If you hit a cow out on the highway, you have to pay the rancher for it.  :P

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Coyote attacks on dogs on the rise in Denver neighborhood
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
I think you have a typo.

Pretty sure you meant "low lumbars."

numbers.  :)

Uranus is a gas giant.