Author Topic: Moore's Law ended in 2012  (Read 6788 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Moore's Law ended in 2012
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »
If Office really bogs down, people/organizations will stop buying Office, or will stick with 2010 past MS' planned EOL, and give Redmond the finger. And Microsoft will be forced to dig under the hood for optimizations they'd not otherwise have done.

This is basically what happened with Vista.  MS got so much pushback for it that Windows 7 was basically Vista optimized.

I use ancient Sun and DOS machines in the factory installed right next to "upgraded" tools with Windows 7. The Windows machines are slower and the operators prefer the 90's era machines.

The problem is that back in the ancient days they spent a lot of effort on specialization and operability.  They had to sell that it was better than the old days.  Today it's much more about 'universal' and 'standardization', and they've lost a lot of the operability.  They also haven't put enough effort into optimization, especially of the user interface.  Or accepted that an interface that requires a bit more training can be far more usable in the end.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Moore's Law ended in 2012
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
I had a customer ask me a while ago if I knew PDP-11.    He has a machine tool with that embedded.

Last summer I read that there was Nuke plant in Canada still looking for someone that knew PDP-11.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
People within my company bitch that we still use as/400 for everything.

Recently we've moved some thing off of it. They work like *expletive deleted*it. Don't get me started on the warehouses with their own system communicating with it via a third application and it magically loosing transactions.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.