Author Topic: Turkey Thief  (Read 1005 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Turkey Thief
« on: December 26, 2020, 02:26:42 PM »
I grabbed the turkey carcass from yesterday's turkey dinner, and a game cam, and gave it a night. This guy came by around 2230 last night (ignore the image date and time):

He has what's left of the turkey carcass in his mouth. Pretty sure it's a red fox:

I knew I had foxes around here, but have not seen one yet. I've been baiting a couple of game cams to see what comes around at night. Interestingly, none of the coyotes I always hear at night have shown up on the cams.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Turkey Thief
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 03:37:23 PM »
We've seen several this year in the backyard and garden, less than 100' from the back door.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that you have both foxes and coyotes. I thought coyotes tended to wipe out the fox population within their range.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that you have both foxes and coyotes. I thought coyotes tended to wipe out the fox population within their range.

My understanding is that we have a robust population of red foxes in the state, as well as the robust coyote population.

There's a chance it's a kit fox. They are somewhat rare in the state, but according to DFG, my area would be a place you might see one. I think the ears are too small though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »
Another failing of our language. Baby foxes are called "kits," but there is also a species (or sub-species) called the kit fox. So what's a baby kit fox, a "kit squared"? "Kit^2"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
Then there are "Fox Kites."  (This is a real thing --kites shaped like foxes.)

So if you had one like a baby kit fox, you'd have a kit kit kite.

=D

Terry "Just emerging from my fourth childhood, so be patient with me," 230RN

Pic credit in properties, but as usual, it was probably stolen from somewhere else anyway.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 06:18:17 PM »
And then there is this kind of Kitfox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGj_oi7UUEE
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 06:18:53 PM »
Another failing of our language. Baby foxes are called "kits," but there is also a species (or sub-species) called the kit fox. So what's a baby kit fox, a "kit squared"? "Kit^2"?

Idaho Kitfox (Dammit! RKL beat me by 10 seconds!):

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 03:33:01 AM »
So far the only effective predator of the turkeys in my yard has been, well, me. 

It amazes me how quickly they calm down and actually relax when pinned down but before the knife cut.  And for some reason the toms never seem to thrash as much as the hens after being bled out.  The fat layer on the one I slaughtered today looks pretty glorious.  He’ll be dinner on the 30th when some friends come over (NOT A PARTY - it’s a protest/funeral).
Formerly sumpnz

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
Funny that the Japanese word for fox is "kitsune."  Unfortunately the word for an adult fox is not "kitlater."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!