Author Topic: Attempt on Obama? Or, Chicago-style attempt on 2A?  (Read 10580 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Attempt on Obama? Or, Chicago-style attempt on 2A?
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=109&sid=2635318

Someone evidently did a drive-by on the White House.

And left their AK behind.   ;/

And the guy has "ties to Idaho."   ;/

Does this pass your smell test, after the Gunwalker fiasco?  It doesn't pass mine.

Any idgit with anger at POTUS is gonna know that:
1. White House is heavily armored for things like this.
2.  You ain't getting within 300 yards of White House unmolested with a rifle.
3.  An AK doesn't have the accuracy necessary to hit anything more precise than a window in general, let alone a target through a window, at 300 yards.
4.  An AK doesn't have the power to punch through government armored glass at 300 yards.

Or, to put more succinctly:
The White House building itself would probably be one of the best shooting range backstops for a rifle match in the world.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Attempt on Obama? Or, Chicago-style attempt on 2A?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
First, who's got the AK recognition chart? We're assuming accuracy in a media report.

Second, it would be amusing if a) Mr. Ortega was an "undocumented immigrant", or b) it was a Fast & Furious rifle.

ETA: I eat potatoes, therefore, in the current political/media climate, I can be argued to have "ties to Idaho". Not worth flusternation without more info.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

P5 Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
And it has the shoulder thingy that goes up. AKA barrel shroud.
 [popcorn]

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
Any idgit with anger at POTUS is gonna know that:
1. White House is heavily armored for things like this.
2.  You ain't getting within 300 yards of White House unmolested with a rifle.
3.  An AK doesn't have the accuracy necessary to hit anything more precise than a window in general, let alone a target through a window, at 300 yards.
4.  An AK doesn't have the power to punch through government armored glass at 300 yards.

Or, to put more succinctly:
The White House building itself would probably be one of the best shooting range backstops for a rifle match in the world.

No, a nutjob is unlikely to realize those things. A rational actor may, but anyone shooting at the White House can pretty much be automatically assumed to be crazy.

Also, the fact that the President is half the world away right now is yet another reason to assume this is a nutjob.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »
The story that somebody was shooting AT the white house doesn't seem credible given that it took four or five days for anybody to even notice that it had been hit.  It sounds more like a dispute between individuals in two cars that just happened to have the WH as a backstop.  If the SS has some evidence that the WH was targeted I don't see it in the article.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Does this pass your smell test, after the Gunwalker fiasco?  It doesn't pass mine.

Wind-up gunman, trotted out for adverse publicity when needed.  Unless, of course, it's just stray shots from some unrelated social interaction.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/secret_service_searched_occupy_dc_camp_for_person_who_shot_at_white_house.php

Evidently the SS searched Occupy DC tents.

Isn't there court precedent that tents, in national parks, are considered domiciles and cannot be searched without PC or warrant? 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
The Secret Service has released a photo of the AK:

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »
The Secret Service has released a photo of the AK:

That must be some strong glass, since that AK is chambered in 38mm.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »

38mm heat seeking, C4 tipped, VT fuzed? Jesus, it's a wonder the entire capital wasn't destroyed!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Second, it would be amusing if a) Mr. Ortega was an "undocumented immigrant", or b) it was a Fast & Furious rifle.

I'm surprised they released the name, since it doesn't support the unspoken goal of portraying him as a white, right-wing nutjob.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
the first and only place i've seen it mentioned as anything other than typical dc street fun was here. who claimed it was an action against obama?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
Just what is your problem with wild hyperbole anyway?

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 09:58:04 PM »
38mm heat seeking, C4 tipped, VT fuzed? Jesus, it's a wonder the entire capital wasn't destroyed!

Not possible.  The only DC gunshop that carries those AKs has been out of stock for months. They're all being shipped to AZ and TX gun stores for sale to Mexican drug gangs.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 11:08:40 PM »
the first and only place i've seen it mentioned as anything other than typical dc street fun was here. who claimed it was an action against obama?

Same here, though I haven't seen too many sources on it.

I am also rooting for this to be a F & F weapon.  [popcorn]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 02:14:50 AM »

No one has... Obama is out of country.

But, since F&F has failed, it's well within reasonable probability that this attack was orchestrated by the White House to drum up the anti-gun sympathy that was supposed to happen with F&F.  And that's a very reasonable assumption to make, since:
-F&F is tied to the Obama administration to Holder at a minimum, possibly higher
-Obama has said to Brady Campaign "we're working on things behind the scenes"
-This administration is 100% smeared and unworthy of trust in regards to 2A issues, for well documented reasons
-We have all sorts of nooz hyperbole on this one... "assault rifle, AK, Idaho, guy with a Mexican-sounding name, etc."

I also think the fact that we didn't hear ANYTHING about this story for several days after the actual shooting happened, speaks volumes.  Stories aren't suppressed when a guy shoots at the POTUS' house.  People don't escape DC after doing a POTUS drive-by in their own vehicle.  DC has a web of cameras that makes NYC look like Mayberry.  DC has gunshot-triangulating microphone systems.

I think this whole thing is manufactured to draw attention from Occupy (the rousting of camps makes Van Jones' people look bad), and from F&F (which makes Obama look REALLY bad) and from the potential budget battle that Congress is dealing with over the next week (which makes all Dems look REALLY bad).  It's being staged to be bread and circus when the uncomfortable questions get asked.
--Lysander Spooner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:16:42 AM »
Heard that they caught the nut case and he took two shots from near the Washington Monument.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:58 AM »
it was Cheney, he thought he saw an old friend
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 02:41:33 AM »
AK rounds can't penetrate tin foil hats around the country, that's for sure.  The idea that the .gov organized this to draw attention from fast and furious is tin foil hattery, plain and simple.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »
AK rounds can't penetrate tin foil hats around the country, that's for sure.  The idea that the .gov organized this to draw attention from fast and furious is tin foil hattery, plain and simple.

And, for once, I find myself in complete agreement with De Selby here.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »
And, for once, I find myself in complete agreement with De Selby here.

Ditto.  Not everything is an engineered conspiracy for political gain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »
True. No need to make up conspiracies when there are real and bigger ones being investigated right now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »

Wow.  Hell must be a cold place today, as I agree wholly with DS right now.

You can't stop crazy.  And most people in the government couldn't keep a conspiracy under wraps with duct tape.  Just look at fast and furious.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »

Well, it's official now. He's charged with attempted assassination.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/oscar-ramiro-ortega-hernandez-charged-with-attempt-to-assassinate-obama/2011/11/17/gIQAZC9BVN_blog.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »
I just saw that he was charged.  Surprised me that he was shooting at the white house.  One day I will learn to wait for more info before guessing.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.