Author Topic: Really?! Man-arrested-over-Tom-Adeyemi-racism-claim  (Read 9714 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Really?! Man-arrested-over-Tom-Adeyemi-racism-claim
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 10:52:20 PM »
For calling him a black bastard?  Yes.

In fairness, to each their own. I would not want to live in a country where unpopular thoughts came with a jail sentence. Actions, I can understand. But speech and thoughts? I do not like racists. I think the ideology of racism, regardless of the skin color of the person that is racist, is usually pretty stupid. That said, people should be allowed to have an opinion without the threat of government violence.

Racism by itself will never be as destructive or hostile to a nation as those who want to control the thoughts and opinions of the citizenry through threat of violence. Now if folks want to enforce their ideology through threat or exercise of violence, then yes, send in the jackboots to give them a proper stomping.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »
Does nobody else see the irony?  Yelling "You f***ing black b**tard!" is offensive, but "You f***ing b**tard!" is not.  (presumably the player is black)

What if it was a black guy calling him a "f'ing white bastard", wouldn't that be even worse yet? They could lock the guy up for "racism", "slander" AND "race traitorism". Orwell's 1984 is SO 1984 in the "progressive" parts of the 1st world now.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 11:18:09 PM »
fistful, that is similar to the argument that lets Lenin, Stalin, and Mao somehow off the hook or lesser demons relative to Hitler, who killed far fewer.  I don't buy it.

Racism, shmacism.  It is not the racism part of genocide that is beyond the pale, it is the mass-murdering part.  I can live next door to someone who despises me for my race, but leaves me & mine be.  OTOH, I can not abide someone who would harm me or mine, no matter how noble their intentions.

I think you may be interpreting my statement differently than I intended. I wasn't saying that Hitler is worse than Stalin, or at least I don't think I was.

So confused.  ???  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 01:46:11 AM »
I think you may be interpreting my statement differently than I intended. I wasn't saying that Hitler is worse than Stalin, or at least I don't think I was.

So confused.  ???  =(

It is past midnight, so my cognitive processes are lagging.  I was trying to call the distinction between genocide and mass murder of equivalent scale a bunch of bunk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 05:25:11 AM »
For calling him a black bastard?  Yes.
Oh for the love of

Ridicule? Sure. Arrested? WTF.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »

In fairness, to each their own. I would not want to live in a country where unpopular thoughts came with a jail sentence. Actions, I can understand. But speech and thoughts? I do not like racists. I think the ideology of racism, regardless of the skin color of the person that is racist, is usually pretty stupid. That said, people should be allowed to have an opinion without the threat of government violence.

Racism by itself will never be as destructive or hostile to a nation as those who want to control the thoughts and opinions of the citizenry through threat of violence. Now if folks want to enforce their ideology through threat or exercise of violence, then yes, send in the jackboots to give them a proper stomping.

We've already passed that tipping point in our own country, where we've lost the freedom of association through the civil rights act. 
I'd be unsurprised if something similar were to occur here regarding verbal racial slurs within the next few years.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
. . . I'd be unsurprised if something similar were to occur here regarding verbal racial slurs within the next few years.
I look forward to enforcement against members of the same demographic who use "The N Word" in reference to one another.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 09:49:35 AM »
I look forward to enforcement against members of the same demographic who use "The N Word" in reference to one another.

Hate crime legislation is already enforced unfairly.  Hate speech restrictions will be as well.
Anyone think for a second the DOJ bothered to look into the attacks at the WI state fair last summer?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
Hate crime legislation is already enforced unfairly.  Hate speech restrictions will be as well.
Anyone think for a second the DOJ bothered to look into the attacks at the WI state fair last summer?

Hate crime is the perfect example of legislation that has slipped in that people simply become "accustomed" to. Obviously not the average person on APS, but certainly the average American talks about "hate crime" like it's a real thing that makes sense.

As we all know, if your are stabbed to death, you are less dead if you are one color, gender, or religion versus another. The punishment for the killer should be less (or more) if they are of one color, gender, or religion versus another.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »

Black Panther Poll Patrol, anyone?

I'm all in support of hate crime laws, myself. Now, we just need laws against greed crime, stupid crime, defending-my-rep crime, etc.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »

Black Panther Poll Patrol, anyone?

I'm all in support of hate crime laws, myself. Now, we just need laws against greed crime, stupid crime, defending-my-rep crime, etc.

Are not all crimes motivated by hate, greed, stupidity, etc?
Placing emotional motive behind a crime creates thought crime. 
JD

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »
Yeah, we should outlaw thought crimes, too. If only people understood the dangers of thought. Let's end thought in our lifetime.  :police:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
Yeah, we should outlaw thought crimes, too. If only people understood the dangers of thought. Let's end thought in our lifetime.  :police:

The democrats are working hard on this one .......  >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »
The democrats are working hard on this one .......  >:D

Ayep. I know!  They're working as hard as the Republicans!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »
:-*
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

Its a fair cop.

Can't recall where I read it, but the author stated something to the effect of, "If you value civil rights, vote Republican.  They get much more scrutiny on this issue by the press and civil rights organizations than Democrats do."

Case in point: GWB vs BHO.

GWB captures suspected terrorists & stuffs them in Guantanimo and is a "Bushitler" dictator.  BHO blows dozens of suspected terrorists away (and their families) with drone attacks and, <crickets_chirping>.

Were I a suspected terrorist, I'd sure rather have a stint in jail andthen be released to continue my terrorist ways than be blown to terror-bits by Hellfire missiles.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
"Bu*expletive deleted*ler" ?  (the filters seem to have no respect for context or lack-of-whitespace)   ;/  Or did you do that for comedic effect?
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
Its a fair cop.

Can't recall where I read it, but the author stated something to the effect of, "If you value civil rights, vote Republican.  They get much more scrutiny on this issue by the press and civil rights organizations than Democrats do."

Case in point: GWB vs BHO.

GWB captures suspected terrorists & stuffs them in Guantanimo and is a "Bu*expletive deleted*ler" dictator.  BHO blows dozens of suspected terrorists away (and their families) with drone attacks and, <crickets_chirping>.

Were I a suspected terrorist, I'd sure rather have a stint in jail andthen be released to continue my terrorist ways than be blown to terror-bits by Hellfire missiles.

:facepalm:  Maybe we should give "suspected terrorists" a stern lecture and a side of bacon .......... :mad:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:55 PM »
If you value civil rights, vote Republican

Democrats were the ones busy violating civil rights of blacks back in the '50s and '60s (yet the blacks now bow down to them).

Democrats were the ones that threatened to kill my grandmother because she was one founders of the Republican Women's party in my town

The Redshirts that beheaded my grandfather back during their reign of terror because he wouldn't join them were Democrats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Shirts_%28Southern_United_States%29

A Democrat president set up concentration camps in the United States and imprisoned US citizens just because they were of Japanese descent.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
"Bu*expletive deleted*ler" ?  (the filters seem to have no respect for context or lack-of-whitespace)   ;/  Or did you do that for comedic effect?

No, thank the naughty word filter for that one.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton