Author Topic: Newt Grasping at Straws  (Read 10065 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Newt Grasping at Straws
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »
As Newt slowly runs down the political garbage disposal, here is his USA Armageddon last-ditch campaign message:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/newt-gingrich-south-carolina-america-only-hope-130220792.html

Newt Gingrich to South Carolina: You’re my (and America’s) only hope

COLUMBIA, S.C.--In a nutshell, here's Newt Gingrich's pitch to South Carolina this week, in four easy steps:

1. If you don't elect Gingrich on Saturday, he will lose the Republican presidential nomination.

2. If Gingrich loses the nomination, Mitt Romney will win it.

3. If Romney wins the nomination, he will lose to President Barack Obama in November.

4. If the Republican nominee loses in November, America, as we know it, is basically over.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:33:15 AM by adively »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Newt Grasping at Straws
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
As Newt slowly runs down the political garbage disposal, here is his USA Armageddon last-ditch campaign message:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/newt-gingrich-south-carolina-america-only-hope-130220792.html

Newt Gingrich to South Carolina: You’re my (and America’s) only hope

Seems to be In line with the GOP message of defeat Obama at all costs.  

The bridge is out ahead, and our choices seem to be the express train or the freight train.  Either way we go into the ravine.  I want the candidate who will pull the e-brake.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:26:12 PM by adively »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »
Seems to be In line with the GOP message of defeat Obama at all costs. 

The bridge is out ahead, and our choices seem to be the express train or the freight train.  Either way we go into the ravine.  I want the candidate who will pull the e-brake.

That's what I'm looking for too. Unfortunately, too many of you are going for the guy who wants to derail the train to avoid the bridge. Yeah, we might not hit the bridge, but we'll still have a massive wreck. (For clarity, I'm talking about Ron Paul.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
That's what I'm looking for too. Unfortunately, too many of you are going for the guy who wants to derail the train to avoid the bridge. Yeah, we might not hit the bridge, but we'll still have a massive wreck. (For clarity, I'm talking about Ron Paul.)

Rofl. I hear things like this constantly, but I have yet to hear a Paul detractor cite one concrete example supporting a position like this.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
I don't much like Newt, or anybody else in the running, but what is so straw-grasping about what he said?

Is there something wrong with claiming he is the best candidate with the best chance of beating both Romney and Obama? That's what one expects from a politician running for an office.

Is there something wrong with claiming that Romney will not beat Obama?

Is there something wrong with claiming that four more years of Obama will be disastrous for the country?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
Politics as usual .... with a spin added....   Hey Newt; CURB YOUR TEMPER!
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
If you look at what Newt did and how he is rated during his time in congress he is the most "conservative" of the three at the top. Even so I'm not comfortable with him being the R candidate. Supporting role, cabinet position yes, President, not so sure.

Right now I'm not seeing where any establishment candidate can get my vote. Looks like I may be voting for Ron Paul again, I've come full circle since '88. I know he won't win but it will be a pure vote, one my conscience can live with.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:38:51 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »
I agree with 3. and .4
I'm not excited about the Newt for the anti-obama candidate but I would consider buying a big screen TV and even pay-per-view if I could watch a debate Obama vs the Newt.
and I haven't owned a TV for 16 years.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »
Can we transplant Newt into Mitt's body?

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

Uh huh....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
"Is there something wrong with claiming he is the best candidate with the best chance of beating both Romney and Obama? That's what one expects from a politician running for an office."
It's funny, seeing as he hasn't had a top-3 slot in the last two races, and his national vs. Obama polls are lower than Paul.

"Is there something wrong with claiming that Romney will not beat Obama?"
Also funny, since Newt's national numbers vs Obama are lower than Paul's, and Paul is lower than Romney, and Romney generally fares better than Obama in these polls.

"Is there something wrong with claiming that four more years of Obama will be disastrous for the country?"
The implied notion that Romney or Gingrich would be any better.  :P

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
"Is there something wrong with claiming he is the best candidate with the best chance of beating both Romney and Obama? That's what one expects from a politician running for an office."
It's funny, seeing as he hasn't had a top-3 slot in the last two races, and his national vs. Obama polls are lower than Paul.

"Is there something wrong with claiming that Romney will not beat Obama?"
Also funny, since Newt's national numbers vs Obama are lower than Paul's, and Paul is lower than Romney, and Romney generally fares better than Obama in these polls.

"Is there something wrong with claiming that four more years of Obama will be disastrous for the country?"
The implied notion that Romney or Gingrich would be any better.  :P

Gingrich would be light years better than either Romney or Obama. Here is a link to Project Vote Smart. Peruse how he actually operated while in office. Speculating he would be no better than Obama hardly warrants a reply.

http://www.votesmart.org/candidate/evaluations/26821/newt-gingrich
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »

Really now.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:47 PM »

Newt is also the candidate with the worst morality of everyone in the running, AFAIK. No way I could vote for the dude with a clean conscious. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
Judging from what he has been saying in debates, Newt is the candidate most likely to sweep in a full blown Police State. I don't trust that man with the powers that the Executive branch has [wrongly] attributed to itself over the past decade. In fact I don't trust most of the candidates, but him... he's just itching for the power.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
I think Obama is doing plenty well all by himself, we needn't worry about Gingrich.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 12:52:21 AM »
Newt has big ideas; unfortunately they all require big government.  And big government requires small citizens.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 05:37:22 PM »
Newt has big ideas; unfortunately they all require big government.  And big government requires small citizens.
Exactly correct! His extra large ego would sine brightly. There in lies the problem.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
I'd say that what Newt offers is big government that serves what I'm calling First America, not Second America.  The perception out there is that "government" is utterly alienated from the people who built and sustain America.  Right or wrong this what half or more of this nation really believes.  They want that changed.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 12:44:49 PM »
I'd say that what Newt offers is big government that serves what I'm calling First America, not Second America. The perception out there is that "government" is utterly alienated from the people who built and sustain America.  Right or wrong this what half or more of this nation really believes. They want that changed.

Who would you say fits into the first group?

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »
I'll put it this way: Government is not supposed to be just about serving minorities and the less able.  It is supposed to protect the country and serve as an honest referee for individual achievement.  People used to understand that; a lot still do.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34:13 PM »
Can we transplant Newt into Mitt's body?

Give him time, he'll run out of women eventually, and that'll be all that's left.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
To think Newt could have solved his personal issues just by being a polygamist...
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
To think Newt could have solved his personal issues just by being a polygamist...

Not sure how serious you are. You mean by declaring himself to be the victim of discriminatory marriage laws that favor monogamous heteros?

It is somewhat interesting that, compared to serial monogamists like McCain, Gingrich, and so many others, it's the Mormon guy that's just sticking with the one wife for so long.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife