Author Topic: Dianne Feinstein: Congress May Take Action On Video Game Violence  (Read 9093 times)

Phyphor

• friend
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/04/dianne-feinstein-video-games_n_3016703.html

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said Wednesday that Congress may be forced to take action to limit video game violence.

Speaking to an audience of around 500 in San Francisco, Feinstein, who led the charge in the Senate on an assault weapons ban, said the video game industry should take voluntary steps to make sure it does not glorify guns in the wake of the December mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. She added that if the industry does not, Congress is prepared to take action, according to the Associated Press.

Feinstein said that video games play, "a very negative role for young people, and the industry ought to take note of that."

"If Sandy Hook doesn't do it ... then maybe we have to proceed, but that is in the future," she added.

The California Democrat is the latest to add her voice to a chorus of lawmakers, including many Republicans, who have connected violence in video games to gun violence.

In January, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) told MSNBC's Chuck Todd that he believes "video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people."

Tennessee Republican Rep. Diane Black attributed the Sandy Hook shooting to "unprecedented levels of violent games, music and so on," and Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) in December introduced a bill to study the impact of violent video games on children, one of Congress's first pieces of legislation related to the tragedy in Newtown. Former Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) also stated his support in December for a commission to study the effect of violent video games on mass shootings.

National Rifle Association CEO and executive vice president Wayne LaPierre was also quick to blame violent video games for the events at the Sandy Hook, after it was found that shooter Adam Lanza may have played video games like "Call of Duty" and "Starcraft."

Nearly 30 years of studies have shown that there is scant evidence to support the claim that violent video games influence real-life violence, dating back to the first major violent video game study in 1984. Critics argue such attempts to correlate the two are little more than scapegoating video games in order to avoid getting to the root of gun violence.

Related on HuffPost:
Loading Slideshow...

Funds For First Responders

The Obama administration will call on Congress to provide additional funding to train public and private personnel at schools to respond to active shooter situations.
    Invest In School Safety Strategies

The Obama administration, through executive action, encourages school districts to use Comprehensive School Safety Grants to purchase school safety equipment, develop and update public safety plans, conduct threat assessments and train "crisis intervention teams" of law enforcement officers to work with the mental health community while responding and assisting students in crisis.
    Money For Safer & Nurturing School Climates

The Obama administration cites that with technical assistance from the Department of Education, 18,000 schools have already put evidence-based strategies to improve school climate into action. Through executive action, the administration proposes a new $50 million initiative to help 8,000 more schools train teachers and staff to implement these strategies.
    Resources For Youth Who Witness Violence

To help schools break the cycle of violence, the administration will urge Congress to provide $25 million to offer students mental health services for trauma or anxiety, conflict resolution programs and other school-based violence prevention initiatives.
    Incentives For Schools To Hire Resource Officers

Under Obama's executive action, the Department of Justice will provide an incentive for police departments that hire officers through COPS Hiring Grants by providing a preference for grant applications that support school resource officers.
    Close Background Check Loopholes

The Department of Justice will invest $20 million in FY2013 to give states stronger incentives to share information with the background check system. President Obama signed executive action requiring federal agencies to make crucial records available to the background check system and also to ensure that such records are frequently updated.
    Boost Gun Owner Accountability & Responsibility

President Obama signed an executive action reaffirming his respect for the Second Amendment, but acknowledging that the right to bear arms comes with a responsibility to safely store guns to prevent them from being accidentally or intentionally used to harm others.
    Serious Punishment For Gun Trafficking

Today, guns can be purchased easily from unlicensed dealers or from "straw purchasers" who pass the required background check, but give the guns to criminals. The Obama administration will include an explicit law against straw purchasing and others who traffic guns, including prosecutions for paperwork violations.
    15,000 Cops On The Street

The Obama administration recognizes that it is crucial to keep more officers within communities and neighborhoods in order to prevent gun violence. The president calls on Congress to put forth a $4 billion proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the streets across the country.
    Assault Weapons Ban

The federal assault weapons ban that was in place from 1994 to 2004 was a first step, but President Obama acknowledged that manufacturers were able to circumvent the prohibition with cosmetic modifications to their weapons. Obama is pressing Congress to introduce legislation reinstating and expanding the ban to include all assault weapons.
    High-Capacity Magazine Ban

President Obama will urge Congress to reinstate the prohibition on ammunition magazines holding more than 10 rounds. Shooters at Virginia Tech, Tucson, Ariz., Aurora, Colo., Oak Creek, Wis. and Newtown, Conn. all used magazines that had a capacity of more than 10 rounds, which come standard with many handguns and rifles.
    Remove ATF Restrictions

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is required to authorize the importation of dangerous antique weapons that are at least 50 years old. Obama will press Congress to remove restrictions and enable the ATF to ensure that incoming weapons are actually acquired as collectibles and not for putting the weapons in the wrong hands.
    Broader Access To Reports On Lost & Stolen Guns

Under Obama's executive action, the Department of Justice plans to publish an annual report on lost and stolen guns to ensure data collected by the ATF is available.
    Protect Doctors Who Talk About Guns

Some have erroneously claimed that language in the Affordable Care Act prohibits doctors from asking patients about guns and gun safety. According to Obama's executive action, the administration will issue guidance clarifying this misconception and reiterating the importance of protecting doctors who have discussions on safe storage of firearms, especially if their patients show signs of certain mental illnesses, have young children or have a mentally ill family member at home.
    Promote Responsible Gun Ownership

As declared by Obama's executive action, the administration will encourage gun owners to take responsibility for keeping their guns safe through a national campaign promoting common-sense gun safety measures.
    Enhance Gun Tracing Data

Law enforcement can trace a gun's path from it's manufacturer, the dealer who sold it and its first purchaser. However, not all federal law enforcement agencies require a trace on guns they recover and keep in custody. President Obama signed executive action requiring a trace on all firearms.
    Promote Safe Gun Safety Technology

The president is directing the attorney general through executive action to work with technology experts to review emerging gun safety technology that helps guard against unauthorized access and use.
    $150 Million For In-School Resources

The Obama administration is urging Congress to take up a Comprehensive School Safety program that will offer $150 million to school districts and law enforcement agencies to hire resource officers, school psychologists, social workers and counselors. The Department of Justice will also develop a model for schools that use resource officers, including age-appropriate methods for working with students.
    Change School Discipline Practices

Students who are suspended or expelled are far more likely to repeat a grade, not graduate or become involved in the juvenile justice system. The Obama administration believes effective school discipline policies are critical to addressing school and community crime and violence issues. Under Obama's executive action, the Department of Education will collect and execute best practices on school discipline policies and help schools implement these policies.
    Mental Health Treatment For Youth

Through partnerships such as the newly proposed Project AWARE (Advancing Wellness and Resilience in Education), President Obama is urging Congress to take up a comprehensive plan to reach 750,000 young people through programs for early detection of mental illness and swift treatment. Project AWARE includes $15 million for training teachers and other adults who interact with youth to detect and respond to mental illness.
    Clarify Mental Health Coverage In Private Insurance Plans

By executive action, Obama announced a plan to finalize regulations that would require group health plans offering mental health care to cover such services at parity under the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008. Additionally, the Affordable Care Act requires all new small group and individual plans to cover mental health and substance abuse services.
    Mental Health Coverage For Medicaid Recipients

There is some evidence that Medicaid plans do not always meeting mental health parity requirements. In an executive action, the Obama administration issued a letter to state health officials insisting that these plans must comply with mental health parity requirements.

Over on a forum I frequent, there's quite a few antigun libtard types.  Those same types are screaming at this news right now, yelling about the first amendment being violated here.  I have to confess to a bit of dark amusement at this, the very same arguments they used against guns are now being turned against their favorite pastime.

I mean, whoda thunk it? Someone who disrespected the 2nd Amendment might just go after the 1st as well?  Color me completely surprised.
Really.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Dianne Feinstein: Congress May Take Action On Video Game Violence
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:13 PM »
How about a background check before you can buy a video game ?    :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
Oh, come on, this makes perfect sense.

A) To the sort of people that vote for her, this makes her look like she's trying to do something.

B) The video game industry enriches some people, and employs many, many more. That has to be stopped.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:57:05 PM »
I agree with Feinstein that video games are a problem.   [popcorn]

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
I agree with Feinstein that video games are a problem.   [popcorn]

Successful troll is successful

Until I saw the popcorn, I was RAGING

Well played
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
There is a tiny kernel of truth in the statement that video games can be a problem.  When you spend your whole life on the internet playing games you never learn how to get along with others and how to disagree.  I think the real problem lies elsewhere, though.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
There is a tiny kernel of truth in the statement that video games can be a problem.  When you spend your whole life on the internet playing games you never learn how to get along with others and how to disagree.  I think the real problem lies elsewhere, though.

Sure

However

None of the governments business
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
I agree 100 per cent. 

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »

Yeah, in the parents who allow their kids to do this.  Super-obsessed gamers aren't born in a vacuum.

But the idea isn't that basement dwellers are the problem, the idea is that video games cause/inspire violent actions.

Of course, the same was said of TV, music, movies, etc, so take that for what you will.  :facepalm:
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »

What one fills one's mind with, can't help but have an effect.

Nevertheless

None of the governments business

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »
What one fills one's mind with, can't help but have an effect.

Nevertheless

It's interesting that advertisers will pay $50 million or more for a 60 second superbowl commercial to try to get people to buy stuff, yet opponents of restricting children's access to video games and violent movies argue that hundreds or even thousands of hours of exposure has no effect on the kids.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »
Games are an easy target for politicians.  It's hard to defend violent games, outside pure 1A arguments.  Gamers don't have the organization and resources of the 2A crowd.  No one can point to anything positive in support of games, unlike our 2A arguments have done.  No long standing traditions.  Don't save livess through defense.  Don't put food on the table.  Gotta wonder if the Hollywood  crowd will jump in on a "slippery slope argument"...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
It's interesting that advertisers will pay $50 million or more for a 60 second superbowl commercial to try to get people to buy stuff, yet opponents of restricting children's access to video games and violent movies argue that hundreds or even thousands of hours of exposure has no effect on the kids.

Yeah, it seems to have tamed the little bastards. ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:47:37 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »
Gamers don't have the organization and resources of the 2A crowd. 

Not entirely true. The gaming industry itself is HUGE. If they tried to actually do something they could easily all band together. And then you throw in people like Penny Arcade.

No one can point to anything positive in support of games, unlike our 2A arguments have done.

Not entirely true.

:facepalm: Of course the point of these commercials is to have a different "effect". Getting exposure, giving a friendly face to there products, ect. Thousands of hours of playing "violent" video games has the effect of... nothing. I have put many thousands of hours on these games, and yet I'm not about to go commit a mass murder. Not only I, but many hundreds of thousands of people too. Why don't we see so much more? Could it be because it is not the games that made people do it? Does spending hundreds of hours violently sending lead down range make people go out and commit murder?

National Rifle Association CEO and executive vice president Wayne LaPierre was also quick to blame violent video games for the events at the Sandy Hook, after it was found that shooter Adam Lanza may have played video games like "Call of Duty" and "Starcraft."

Holy Crap!! Not that uber violent game StarCraft!!!  :mad:

Nearly 30 years of studies have shown that there is scant evidence to support the claim that violent video games influence real-life violence, dating back to the first major violent video game study in 1984. Critics argue such attempts to correlate the two are little more than scapegoating video games in order to avoid getting to the root of gun violence.

This. It's always something that kids find fun that is to blame, pin ball, rock and roll, "violent" video games, shooting, card games, books, ect, ect, ect.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 12:27:16 AM »
Is it the government's job to make basement-dwellers into nine-to-five tie-wearers? No.

Is it the government's job to regulate against harmful cultural influences? No.

Not every bad thing is a thing the government should deal with.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 03:00:07 AM »

Yeah, it seems to have tamed the little bastards. ;)

I'm not arguing a cause and effect between video games and violent crime. I am questioning whether young kids can play violent video games and not be affected in some way.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
Sorry, reality intrudes upon the "video games and teevee have no effect" on kids or whomever.  And there is scant on the upside, it is almost entirely downside influence.

Doesn't mean gov't should get in the middle, other than maybe with truth in labeling, so folks will know what they are about to stuff in their skulls. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 09:34:46 AM »
It's always something that kids find fun that is to blame, pin ball, rock and roll, "violent" video games, shooting, card games, books, ect, ect, ect.

Pool.  Trouble right here in River City.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 10:54:09 AM »
I am questioning whether young kids can play violent video games and not be affected in some way.

I know plenty of people who grew up playing these video games and they turned out just fine.  I also know some who aren't gamers and are a waste of human protoplasm.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
Sorry, reality intrudes upon the "video games and teevee have no effect" on kids or whomever.  And there is scant on the upside, it is almost entirely downside influence.

Doesn't mean gov't should get in the middle, other than maybe with truth in labeling, so folks will know what they are about to stuff in their skulls.

Does the same cause=effect relationship exist in other countries ... because these "violent" video games are not limited in distribution to just America, they go to Canada, europe, Asia, and elsewhere.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »

I know plenty of people who grew up playing these video games and they turned out just fine.  I also know some who aren't gamers and are a waste of human protoplasm.

Now that's not fair. I haven't done anything to you.  :'(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »
Does the same cause=effect relationship exist in other countries ... because these "violent" video games are not limited in distribution to just America, they go to Canada, europe, Asia, and elsewhere.

I don't think anyone seriously implied cause and effect. Correlation =/= causation.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
I don't think anyone seriously implied cause and effect. Correlation =/= causation.

Oh.

Sorry, reality intrudes upon the "video games and teevee have no effect" on kids or whomever.  And there is scant on the upside, it is almost entirely downside influence.

So, does that mean there's no "cause effect" relationship or  .... whta?  Just a "general condemnation" of the games?  Huh?  What?   Where?  When?
 ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
Pac-Man is a circle.  The little things he eats are circles...

OMG CANNIBALISM!  Ban Pac-Man!!!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »
Pac-Man is a circle.  The little things he eats are circles...

OMG CANNIBALISM!  Ban Pac-Man!!!
:rofl:
FINALLY!  Someone with a sense of humor.