Author Topic: About that there global warming  (Read 3277 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
About that there global warming
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:31:33 PM »
Or "climate change," or whatever.

It appears that the climate IS changing -- but not in the direction the doomsayer acolytes are claiming.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/11/15/boston-weather-snow-snowiest-decade-northeast-storms-weatherbell-trends-beyond-the-forecast/

TL;DR summary: The northeast is getting colder, and seeing a LOT more snow than in several previous decades.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: About that there global warming
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:20:58 AM »
Wasn't it only 3 or 4 decades ago that the climatologists were proclaiming that we were heading into a new Ice Age?

And looking at the very noisy long term (400,000 years) records, I think they were right.  Despite the noise, major and minor climate cycles are apparent even to the mere unsophisticated nekkid eyeball.

Terry, 230RN

Edited to change "400,00" to "400,000."  But what's a mere order of magnitude between friends, eh?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:52:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:37:13 AM »
Wasn't it only 3 or 4 decades ago that the climatologists were proclaiming that we were heading into a new Ice Age?

And looking at the very noisy long term (400,000 years) records, I think they were right.  Despite the noise, major and minor climate cycles are apparent even to the mere unsophisticated nekkid eyeball.

Yes, there was even a movie. I didn't see it and I don't remember the title, but I distinctly remember having seen the trailer.

https://longreads.com/2017/04/13/in-1975-newsweek-predicted-a-new-ice-age-were-still-living-with-the-consequences/

It might have been this movie, but 2004 seems too recent. My dinosaur brain thinks it was at least 10 years earlier, but I can't find it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:11:52 AM by Hawkmoon »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:56:31 AM »
I was thinking 3 or 4 decades.  It was in a lot of the TechMech journals and if I'm not mistaken, even in Scientific American.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 07:16:02 AM »
I think it's time to revive the discussion. I've got about five inches of white global warming on the ground right now, and that's unprecedented. Even when I was a kid in the 1950s (when we had "real" winters around here), the question was always whether or not we would have a white Christmas. I can't remember ever having a white Thanksgiving.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »
During the '70s the mantra was about the impending new ice age brought on by pollution.
I don't really remember the start of the  "anthropogenic globular warmulating" thing. I think I was too busy working and destroying the environment in those days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »
Late 60's early 70's the panic was a new ice age. Then came the ozone hole & banning Freon's, replacing the F12 in hairspray cans w/ propane. Blind frogs then AGW.  BTW. I don't think the Freon thing was ever proven.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
^ "BTW. I don't think the Freon thing was ever proven."

Believe the woman environmentalists.

Because.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
I’m shocked, who would have thought the sun could have so much influence on our climate?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
Late 60's early 70's the panic was a new ice age. Then came the ozone hole & banning Freon's, replacing the F12 in hairspray cans w/ propane. Blind frogs then AGW.  BTW. I don't think the Freon thing was ever proven.

That's actually a success story.  The ozone damage is much improved since then, and is continuing to improve since banning some of these chemicals.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
That's actually a success story.  The ozone damage is much improved since then, and is continuing to improve since banning some of these chemicals.

That's what they want you to believe. Have you ever seen an ozone hole? How do you know there was one? How do you know it's smaller now? And how do you know that smaller is better?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »

That  '60s to '70s sounds more right to my ferrite core memory. :old:

Terry, 230RN

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
Say the climate went extreme one way or the other.

What type of planet would you find most interesting? 

An iceball or a dunescape?

And which would likely be more conducive to the survival of the species?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
^^^Dune. The Spice must flow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »

TL;DR summary: The northeast is getting colder, and seeing a LOT more snow than in several previous decades.

Nothing about summer temps in that article. Need to take the annual average temp over time to see if there is warming or cooling.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 07:21:08 PM »
^^^Dune. The Spice must flow.

My name is a killing word.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 09:52:29 PM »

The "hole" has been found to be rather perennial. Sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger. All in all, no affect from costing consumers millions.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 10:09:32 PM »
The "hole" has been found to be rather perennial. Sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger. All in all, no affect from costing consumers millions.

And, we actually have absolutely no idea how long it has been there.
Hell, for all we know it might have been 10X bigger 100 years ago.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »
True.  From what I remember, most of those chemicals do react with and remove ozone from the atmosphere.  But ozone is constantly being created as well so trying to figure out if those chemicals are removing it faster than it is replaced is a guessing game.  Banning those chemicals was probably the right thing to do.  I am sure the execution/law could have been better.  Almost all of the Hollywood doomsday stuff about it was just silly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 12:42:46 PM »
They COULD react to separate the second O from ozone, provided you have free water, a chlorine compound stable enough to reach the ionosphere & UV light. And it only happened at the South Pole & only in spring when there were clouds.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »
Well a lot of folks are using ozone generators as air purifiers, but iirc ozone is pretty unstable and the odds are really low on actually making it from the earth's surface to the ozone layer. Plus this is like spitting in the ocean to raise the sea level.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
Can't find it, but I remember seeing a study done in the late 40's about the ozone "hole", and that was before any of the cfc's were in common use.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »
Update: https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/climate-change-global-warming-earth-cooling-media-bias/

The northeastern United States has just gone though the coldest Thanksgiving since (I believe) 1871. Tell me again why I should be concerned about global warming.

More: https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/the-stunning-statistical-fraud-behind-the-global-warming-scare/

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
There's a really fantastic Youtube based weekly show I watch, called TMRO.  Mostly space news, launches,  new satellites, technology advances, stuff like that.  Every now and then they drift into lefty globularwarmism and they did it this week, talking about the Atacama desert as an analog for some elements of the Martian surface.  Talking about the only life present there, being about 18 varieties of microbes that are such extremophiles that they can only exist in Atacama under its current static conditions (i.e. no precipitation, ever).  They went on to say that due to globularwarmism, it rained in the desert and that a dozen of these microbes went extinct because they are so specially evolved to absorb moisture from any available source, they ruptured their cell membranes due to the excessive water from the rain. 

...Except they also said it hadn't rained in Atacama for 500 years.

So did globularwarmism cause it to rain 500 years ago?  No explanation of the source of rain in that area 500 years past.  Or if the asserted man-originated globularwarmism is responsible for an increase in precipitation there consistently. 

If a freak storm can happen 500 years ago, it can happen today too.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!