Author Topic: America Began in 1619  (Read 4485 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
America Began in 1619
« on: August 20, 2019, 05:47:14 PM »
Apparently this is some new thing the NYT and SJWs are promoting: The 1619 Project, in which they say American history began in 1619, when the first African slave ship arrived. They don't seem to comment on indentured servant ships.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/08/20/pete-buttigieg-is-all-in-with-the-new-york-timess-history-resetting-1619-project/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: America Began in 1619
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »
/******************************************************************************/
TODAY IN HISTORY – 3/8/1655 John Casor becomes the first legally-recognized slave in what will be the United States. His owner is a free BLACK man, but you won’t hear THAT during Black History Month. Also, all of the slave traders of the time were either Arabic or Black. To set the record straight and to be totally politically incorrect, the first slave owner in what would become the United States was Anthony Johnson - a BLACK man who fought a court battle to make slavery legal. Also, all of the slave traders of the time were either Arabic or Black, so I am deeply offended at the notion that my White ancestors were the cause of the Black plight.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »
It's almost like there is an organized concerted effort to demonize historic, heritage America, its people, culture and natural rights.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:27:16 PM »
/******************************************************************************/
TODAY IN HISTORY – 3/8/1655 John Casor becomes the first legally-recognized slave in what will be the United States. His owner is a free BLACK man, but you won’t hear THAT during Black History Month. Also, all of the slave traders of the time were either Arabic or Black. To set the record straight and to be totally politically incorrect, the first slave owner in what would become the United States was Anthony Johnson - a BLACK man who fought a court battle to make slavery legal. Also, all of the slave traders of the time were either Arabic or Black, so I am deeply offended at the notion that my White ancestors were the cause of the Black plight.

So who owned the black slaves in Virginia, in 1619? ???

In any case, this 1619 hoopla is ignoramus-bait, and just another obvious attempt to exacerbate racial division. The history of slavery on Earth is available to anyone that cares to read about it. The U.S. bears no special burden of guilt that is not borne by a hundred other civilizations. We didn't invent slavery or racism. Most of the Atlantic slaving ships went to the Carribean, Latin America, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »
It's almost like there is an organized concerted effort to demonize historic, heritage America, its people, culture and natural rights American history.

Fixed it for you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 07:04:23 PM »
It might be a good time for President Trump to say something like, "On behalf of the Republican Party, I'd like to say 'you're welcome.' The Republican Party, of which I have the very great honor of being de facto head, ended slavery in this country almost 250 years after enslaved Africans first came to these shores. In addition, Republicans granted citizenship to the freedmen, and recognized their right to vote. It took the next hundred years to secure those rights against the white supremacist views of Democratic Klansmen, and other benighted souls. So to everyone who ever benefited from that, which I believe is all Americans, 'you're welcome.'"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
This is what communists do. They rewrite history to fit their agendas.   :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »
The Democratic party had better get their checkbook out and start writing those reparations checks instead of putting the blame on others.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
It's almost like there is an organized concerted effort to demonize historic, heritage America, its people, culture and natural rights.

It ain't almost like, Ron.  It's actually what is going on right now.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
Quote from: Ron

It ain't almost like, Ron.  It's actually what is going on right now.

If'n you're not familiar with the books of the late William W. Johnstone, read his "Ashes" series. Bill died, but methinks he was prescient.

Perd Hapley

• friend

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 11:32:59 AM »

Welcome to the democrat party's 2020 platform
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »
I may be unique here in that reading the NYT series has exposed me to different viewpoints and facts that I did not previously know about.  And I consider that a good thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »
I may be unique here in that reading the NYT series has exposed me to different viewpoints and facts that I did not previously know about.  And I consider that a good thing.

So do we. =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 01:01:11 PM »

You are likely unique in having actually read it. You can learn a lot from Leftist propaganda. You just have to put up with a lot of lies, poor reasoning, elision of pertinent facts, etc.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/08/20/jim-geraghty-notices-some-very-important-figures-are-missing-from-nyts-1619-project-examining-american-history-through-the-lens-of-slavery/
Jim Geraghty notices some very important figures are missing from NYT’s 1619 Project examining American history through the lens of slavery
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 07:31:32 AM »

Here is another article on the subject that provides context.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/21/no-america-wasnt-built-slavery-faith-men-created-equal/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 08:31:30 AM »
You are likely unique in having actually read it.

I heard it's like a 100 pages though. I'm not gonna read all that!
Some talking head told me I should be mad about it, that's good enough for me.  :P
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:33 AM »
Who among you has been spared learning about the horrors of human slavery?

Does anyone here doubt for one second that this is an attempt to transfer guilt for slavery from those who practiced it then onto those who share the same white skin color and live here now?

They can kiss my pasty white ass  :-*

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
Going back hundreds of years to arbitrarily assign "reparations" is a concept that can't end well.

For example, I learned recently that during the time of the founding of the original 13 colonies, the Puritans in Boston regarded Quakers as heretics. Since "ecumenism" was a concept unknown to our (or my) Puritan ancestors, anyone who was a Quaker was expelled from Boston and banned. Apparently, four women ignored their banning, and were hanged (by the neck, until no longer viable heretics). Doesn't this mean that all current residents of Boston should be paying reparations to any Quakers currently residing in Massachusetts? (And in Rhode Island, since that's where most of the Quakers exiled from Boston went. They founded Newport and Portsmouth, Rhode Island.)

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »
The Indians were practicing slavery countless years before Europeans or Africans arrived.

Most ancient cultures practiced some form of slavery (Australian aborigines were apparently one exception).

The only unique thing about Western slavery is that the western world eventually decided it was wrong and decided to stop it, before just about everyone else on earth.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 12:21:53 PM »
The Indians were practicing slavery countless years before Europeans or Africans arrived.

And genocide
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
And . . . shouldn't the people who today call themselves "Hispanic" be held responsible for the atrocities of Cortez, Pizzaro, and others?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 01:47:38 AM »
And . . . shouldn't the people who today call themselves "Hispanic" be held responsible for the atrocities of Cortez, Pizzaro, and others?

No, they're "of color," so they don't have to feel guilty about colonialism, slavery, cultural appropriation, or other white man's diseases.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 01:50:29 AM »
I heard it's like a 100 pages though. I'm not gonna read all that!
Some talking head told me I should be mad about it, that's good enough for me.  :P

Meh. I don't need a talking head to tell me that this "project" is more of the same left-wing history-twistery that has been going on for decades.