Author Topic: Where is ISIS getting all those Toyotas?  (Read 1373 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Where is ISIS getting all those Toyotas?
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:19:29 PM »
My guess would be Turkey.

Sumitomo, a Japanese conglomerate that ships vehicles to the region, wrote to ABC News, “In terms of how anyone operating outside of the law obtain vehicles for misappropriation, we have no way to know and therefore cannot comment.”

Uh huh.

I'm sure ISIS has guys in a lot of places buying all manner of things and if you ship to Turkey direct there's no chance of interdiction.

And if that is the case this shipping company, and others, must be aware of the possibility of this and if they don't check then are they not liable? How can you not know what is on your ship? And who is receiving the trucks. Or is it once they roll off the ship it's no longer their business where the vehicles go?

That's an okay answer, (and we use it here with gun sales) but if you're a company do you want there to be any chance of it being found out you supplied terrorists even indirectly? And try to cut out those dealers?

I'm not saying Sumitomo is guilty of anything but these trucks sure aren't swimming to Syria on their own.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Where is ISIS getting all those Toyotas?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »
Don't forget all the damn vehicles we give to countries.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:10:08 AM »
And if that is the case this shipping company, and others, must be aware of the possibility of this and if they don't check then are they not liable? How can you not know what is on your ship? And who is receiving the trucks. Or is it once they roll off the ship it's no longer their business where the vehicles go?

Slippery slope argument.

Are gun manufacturers and distributors liable because some nutcase buys an AR-15 and shoots up a shopping mall? How could UPS not know what's in those boxes they deliver to gun stores?

If a 20-year old male sporting tats and dreadlocks walks into a Mercedes dealership and plunks down cash for the top-of-the-line model, is the dealer supposed to question the customer about where he got the money?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:33:14 AM »
Slippery slope argument.

Are gun manufacturers and distributors liable because some nutcase buys an AR-15 and shoots up a shopping mall? How could UPS not know what's in those boxes they deliver to gun stores?

If a 20-year old male sporting tats and dreadlocks walks into a Mercedes dealership and plunks down cash for the top-of-the-line model, is the dealer supposed to question the customer about where he got the money?

Actually yes.  Because you have to account for any cash purchase over 10k. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
Actually yes.  Because you have to account for any cash purchase over 10k. 
Yes, because police state.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 10:16:28 AM »
Slippery slope argument.

Cash, maybe yes. Credit card or check, no.

But correct, if something is not a defense article, there's generally less paperwork and required due diligence. But it's never zero. Remember not all countries have our level of export control. In the US, there's a requirement to know who you are selling to and red flags mandatory reporting. Even for Commerce controlled goods (ie not military hardware).
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »
Considering there were some 11 million Toyota Hilux's produced. They are wildly popular in that part of the world. They are nigh unkillable as we learn from Top Gear. Is it really that surprising that ISIS seems to have a lot of them? While there are obviously some new ones in the pictures, there are a lot of older ones which would be expected to be all over that part of the world prior to ISIS existing.

I guess my question is why is anyone surprised they have so many and is there any real indications justifying the recent news?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »
Considering there were some 11 million Toyota Hilux's produced. They are wildly popular in that part of the world. They are nigh unkillable as we learn from Top Gear. Is it really that surprising that ISIS seems to have a lot of them? While there are obviously some new ones in the pictures, there are a lot of older ones which would be expected to be all over that part of the world prior to ISIS existing.

I guess my question is why is anyone surprised they have so many and is there any real indications justifying the recent news?

This.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
How many did they pick-up when they overran "Honest Achmed's" Toyota dealerships?  How many did we leave behind?  

Plus what Mike B said.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:12:16 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
Yes, because police state.

Oh I'm wholly against the currency cap.  Just stating the fact as it is.  You cannot walk into a car dealer with a suitcase of cash without proof of where it came from.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
Toyota has largely displaced Land Rover as the source for 4x4 SUVs and pickups in much of the turd world - more affordable with better reliability, and Land Rover allegedly lost both load capacity and off-road capability when they switched from leaf springs to coil springs. ISIS is probably helping themselves to government stocks - after all, news footage shows they have no shortage of HUMVEES, either.

The "foreign" Toyotas are also much easier to repair than what you see here, since they don't have all the cr@p under the hood our EPA requires.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 06:59:53 PM »
Oh I'm wholly against the currency cap.  Just stating the fact as it is.  You cannot walk into a car dealer with a suitcase of cash without proof of where it came from.
Dealer does not ask for proof. Does file paperwork about transaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I