Author Topic: Yakety sax again.  (Read 593 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Yakety sax again.
« on: October 23, 2022, 02:16:49 AM »
Another version of Boots Randolph's "Yakety Sax," the famous chase music from the immortal Benny Hill show.

https://youtu.be/4ER75uK5i4Y (3:49)

Guitarists will either love this or hate it, since it involves unique guitars.

James Q. "Spider" Rich was a co-composer, but Randolph is usually credited by himself.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Yakety sax again.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 08:09:16 AM »
That was certainly unique.  Interesting guitars, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 11:12:37 AM »
It's not clear how much of the sound is coming from the pictured instruments and how much is dubbed in.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 11:23:19 AM »
It's not clear how much of the sound is coming from the pictured instruments and how much is dubbed in.

Pretty sure all of it was Johnson playing each of those instruments, multitracked and synced together.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 11:45:47 AM »
Enjoyable version of a fun tune. I,too, believe it was a multi-track production.
7-11 was a part time job.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 12:46:06 PM »
Pretty sure all of it was Johnson playing each of those instruments, multitracked and synced together.

That's the impression I got.  Made it an enjoyable rendition of a fun tune.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 04:03:21 PM »
Very cool. =)  But I never actually heard him play the cigar box resonator guitar (dobro.)  It shoulda been quite loud.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 07:20:03 PM »
That boy ain't bad on a Tele either...

I have gotta go out to the garage and try my hand at making something steel...
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 02:13:04 AM »
I thought it was obvious (as in from the double-picture sections) he was pulling a Les Paul.

I remember criticism about Paul "faking" the music with tape recorders, but nowadays they just call it mixing.

One of the greatest examples of "mixing" is the famous "Good Vibrations" number by the Beach Boys.  It was actually done with different musicians in like four different studios over something like a month.  That little ditty has the structure and craftsmanship of a full-fledged symphony.

Incidentally, re the present clip, did anyone notice all the oddball gitboxes he had on the wall near the end?

Terry

REF:

https://youtu.be/uVlSVkzbJDA (4:19)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 10:35:36 AM »
Justin Johnson. Helluva good guitar player, and lurvs him some homemade instruments.

Plenty more on his YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/justinjohnsonlive

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB