Author Topic: V for Vendetta  (Read 11023 times)

V for Vendetta
« on: July 27, 2005, 11:51:24 AM »
Interesting new movie coming out.  No this isn't directly related to Gun's or Gun rights, but it seems to be an interesting take on someone standing up against a very 1984-esq regime.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/v_for_vendetta/

I don't really know much about the movie (or the comic I assume it is based from), but it looks like a fun little waste of an afternoon.

...has left the building.

V for Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »
Looks pretty slick.

Vodka7

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 02:19:48 PM »
I read the comic a few years ago, and loved it.

From what I remember, the basic theme of the book is that the way to deal with an oppressive government that curtails your freedoms is to blow it up and start over.

I'm tentatively looking forward to it, because as much as I loved the original Alan Moore script, I do not trust those two Matrix screwups to do anything good with it.  They seem to have a knack for taking something that lots of people loved and finding a way to ruin it so even die-hard fans of the original walk away angry.

Oh well, I guess Lucas could have got it.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
V for Vendetta
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 09:58:38 PM »
>
I'm tentatively looking forward to it, because as much as I loved the original Alan Moore script, I do not trust those two Matrix screwups to do anything good with it.  They seem to have a knack for taking something that lots of people loved and finding a way to ruin it so even die-hard fans of the original walk away angry.>

seriously... seriously...

could be awesome... could be @#%@.

atek3

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
V for Vendetta
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 07:36:55 AM »
If Lucas or Spielberg got the green-light on it, the protagonist would be flinging cellphones instead of daggers.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
V for Vendetta
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 10:35:58 AM »
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Awesome!
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

atek3

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 12:34:45 PM »
movie got delayed... stupid.

the movie should be shown on guy fawkes day... postponing it is retarded.

atek3

Justin

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 12:49:42 PM »
Alan Moore is a genius whose work has been regularly sodomized by Hollywood.

Fingers crossed that this one will buck the trend.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 03:55:27 PM »
Quote from: Gun Runner
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Awesome!
I just heard this quote on a commercial and was about to start a new thread on the the movie, but was smart enough to use the 'ol search function first. I think this movie has, at least, a lot of potential. Whether or not they butcher things will be a big 'if'. They did manage to mangle the matrix, so who knows...

I'll see it just because the last 1/2 year at least has been crap at the box office.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Dannyboy

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
Quote from: Ego_Archive
someone standing up against a very 1984-esq regime.
That was the first thing I thought of too.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that John Hurt was the guy on the big TV screen and he was the guy from 1984.  That's actually what made me think of 1984.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

mtnbkr

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 02:13:45 AM »
The TV was on in the background when I heard the tagline last night.  I did a scooby-doo'esque "rhuhr" and turned around in time to catch the trailer.  Needless to say, I'm hooked.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
V for Vendetta
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 05:25:45 AM »
I'm sort of ambivilent on it. I'll probably get it when it comes out on disk.

A bald Natalie Portman doesn't really do it for me, either.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

V for Vendetta
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 05:12:02 PM »
Just saw it, and i thought it was awesome.  can't belive that hollywood let something that politically opposite to their marxist agenda come down the pike.

atek3

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 05:30:25 PM »
V totally friggin rocked... I thought it was way more anti-Bush anti-religious right than anti-marxist though.  

atek3

SpookyPistolero

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 05:34:00 PM »
I really liked it, too. It definitely had a lot of anti-bush ideology happening though. Overall a neat movie with a direct message which was pleasant to hear.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Ron

V for Vendetta
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 05:37:45 PM »
I have heard some talking heads say they are disturbed by the message that terrorism is justified in some cases.

The fact that that the main target wasn't military and that innocents could have been killed in the bombing was the point of contention.

Not having seen it yet I cannot offer an opinion, I'll wait to rent it when it hits Blockbuster.

Thought that I would throw out the terrorism angle to see what you guys/gals think.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 06:08:59 PM »
The message is mainly disgust for the nanny state. The acts of terrorism are really only the destruction of buildings and a few specific assassinations. While talking about how justified such activities are is entirely subjective, there were no points where 'civilians' were flagrantly killed as collateral damage and certainly not as targets directly. That would be the shining difference in my eyes.

Too add another log to the fire, if the terminology existed with the same subtext as now, I imagine the founding fathers might have been labeled terrorists. The term, of course, is used now to elicit the notion that there exists something from which people are defenseless and need protection, so that they might trade a little freedom for a little perceived safety.

atek3

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 06:11:58 PM »
The fact that that the main target wasn't military and that innocents could have been killed in the bombing was the point of contention.
Terrorism is what every oppressive government calls any act of rebellion, regardless of its motivation or methods.  (that isn't to say that killing civilians in is in any way, shape, or form, an acceptable part of rebellion)

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The buildings were all government buildings except the british television station, which basically only ran government propaganda so it was basically an arm of the government.  V never intentionally kills civilians and in one case even warns of an attack a year in advance.  Think about it.  If you live in Nazi Germany and are a resistance fighter, any branch of the government (except maybe sanitation Smiley ) is a valid target.

atek3

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
V for Vendetta
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 06:44:59 PM »
Man, I had an awesome time that that movie!  The last fight scene totally made it for me.  I'm a fan of alternate history kind of stuff anyhow so I was easily entertained in that regard.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
V for Vendetta
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
I liked it, but I spent most of the movie trying to place V's voice to the actor.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

atek3

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2006, 07:13:31 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
I liked it, but I spent most of the movie trying to place V's voice to the actor.
it was hugo weaving aka Mr. Smith from the matrix believe it or not.

atek3

V for Vendetta
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006, 07:19:08 PM »
You would be amazed at the sort of things we bombed in WWII. There comes a time when there arent any civilians, the people who do nothing are simply supporting the status quo in their small way and are to be counted amongst them.

Granted, that too is a sort of justification for terrorism.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
V for Vendetta
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006, 07:27:13 PM »
"I have heard some talking heads say they are disturbed by the message that terrorism is justified in some cases."

The sad fact is that one man's terrorist is another man's patriot.

Sam & John Adams, John Hancock, and all the rest were, to the British, terrorists.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
V for Vendetta
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006, 07:30:24 PM »
It was an entertainint movie, aside from Hollywood's compulsive need to attack conservative politics and values at any opportunity.

"A History of Violence" was much better.

Strings

V for Vendetta
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 08:05:04 PM »
>The sad fact is that one man's terrorist is another man's patriot.

Sam & John Adams, John Hancock, and all the rest were, to the British, terrorists<

Just as the insurgents in Iraq are "patriots", to their fellow Iraqies...

It's unfortunate tendancy of mankind to allow the victors to write the history. This differentiates between the "terrorist" and the "patriot" or "freedom fighter"...