Author Topic: UTSA students commit sin they're trying to halt  (Read 1557 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
UTSA students commit sin they're trying to halt
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:46:29 PM »
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA033008.01A.HONORCODE.38a7b45.html

UTSA students commit sin they're trying to halt

Web Posted: 03/29/2008 11:35 PM CDT

Melissa Ludwig
Express-News

It seemed like an honorable goal: Draft an honor code for University of Texas at San Antonio students to follow, exhorting them not to cheat or plagiarize.

But when students threw a draft of the new honor code onto the Internet for feedback, some noticed a problem: Parts of the code appeared to have been lifted word for word from another school's honor code, without attribution. Even the definition of plagiarism was, well, plagiarized.

Akshay Thusu, the student in charge of the honor code effort, said it was an oversight, the result of a draft that was crafted five years ago and passed through different students and faculty advisers before landing in his lap.

"We believe there might be a citation page," Thusu said. "We are still looking for it."

But cheating experts say such sloppiness is typical of today's students, who don't know how to cite sources properly and often regard the Internet as a cut-and-paste free for all.

"Young people today have a different understanding of what in the way of ideas and words is property that can be taken without authorization," said Daniel Wueste, director of the Rutland Center for Ethics at Clemson University in South Carolina, which also houses the Center for Academic Integrity. "That's the consequence of the Internet and the availability of things. It doesn't feel like what would be in a book. You Google it and here it comes."
John Barrie, co-founder of Turnitin.com, agreed.

Barrie's company screens more than 125,000 student papers a day, checking them against Internet sources, traditional library journals and a database of 50 million student term papers  the granddaddy of all frat house cheat files.

About 30 percent of the papers are "less than original," Barrie said. Over half of the cheating hits come from the Internet, the other half from student papers and about 1 percent from the stuff you might find in a library, he said.

The No. 1 source is Wikipedia.org, an online reference where any user can write and edit entries.

"You tell me, is that a scary trend?" Barrie said.

Though Barrie's statistics seem alarming, he doesn't believe there is a wave of cheating washing over society. Students always have cheated. The problem today is that many kids just don't understand how to do proper research and citation, he said.

"If you talk to them about doing research, they say, 'If I copy from a newspaper or magazine, it is plagiarism, but from Wikipedia, it is research,'" Barrie said.

Thusu, a native of India, said he understands proper citation. He took over the honor code alliance one month ago and inherited the pilfered draft from students who came before him.

He did some digging and found a group of students attended a conference in 2003 put on by the Center for Academic Integrity. Materials from the conference  which are used by many universities  likely were the main source for UTSA's draft, Thusu said.

That's probably why it appeared that parts of the UTSA draft matched word for word the online honors code at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. The difference is that BYU credited the Center for Academic Integrity. UTSA didn't.

But that will change, Thusu said. The honor code that goes to the faculty senate for approval will include proper citation, he said.

"We don't want to have an honor code that is stolen," Thusu said.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: UTSA students commit sin they're trying to halt
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »
"We don't want to have an honor code that is stolen," Thusu said.

People who don't know the difference between honor and law should sit down, shut up, and exercise dictionaries.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »
 laugh

I can believe it...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:53:36 AM »
I can see how something like this can happen when text is passed from person to person over 5 years. A lot of what the first guy knew is long gone.

Personally, I think every instructor should at the very least take the best constructed parts of every essay and Google it. And let their students know they are doing so.

And frankly, I also think a lot of this is the instructor's fault. The proper writing and citation styles are no longer emphasized in high school (basic dumbing down) and so kids in college just do not know how to do it properly in many cases.

My wife did some online classes that forced her to learn the proper citation styles. It was not something she had ever learned either in high school or at the JC she took her 2 year degree at.

I am not offended that there are so many papers available on the Internet. As far as I am concerned, it is just one more resource to use to see what styles end up looking and "sounding" good, versus those that are not so good. I am offended when people cheat by directly copying them, but I have a hard time blaming the students when their professors often do the exact same thing.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
I blame in line citation formats.

I find them terribly difficult to use and to read.  They don't allow the kind of comments and detailed explanations of source material that footnotes and endnotes do.  URLs or other long and convoluted source material doesn't fit well and utterly destroys the flow of the paper.  It's harder to specifically work on citations, since they're just mixed in there.  Harder to correct errors or omissions.

Footnotes and endnotes are the solution.

Well, in my fanatasy life anyway.  cheesy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »
I didn't even think inline was acceptable. I've never used anything but foot- or endnotes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
I didn't even think inline was acceptable. I've never used anything but foot- or endnotes.

In many fields, nothing but inline is acceptable.  The form(s) of legal citation my school uses all demand in-line citation. 

I miss Kate.  sad

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:38:18 PM »
I remember using endnotes in high school.  I hated the idea of using footnotes.  I guess word processors ought to be able to do that automatically now.

They should have at least cited where they borrowed the material from.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge