Author Topic: VA question  (Read 983 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
VA question
« on: April 01, 2006, 12:43:15 PM »
Just out of morbid curiousity (1 year, 9 months to D day), what area(s) in VA are good for aquiring land near recreation areas such as NF, big lakes, or what not?  Reasonably priced recreational property, several to hundreds of acres, where one could build a cabin or whatnot?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
VA question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 08:33:18 PM »
Take a look at western Augusta county and Bath County, both accessible to HF, Lake Moomaw.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• friend
VA question
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 07:01:32 AM »
Quote from: French G.
Take a look at western Augusta county and Bath County, both accessible to HF, Lake Moomaw.
Thanks.
I started browsing online and found that If I just go into WV, prices dropped drastically, and land amounts doubled or tripled.
1 year, 9 months 'till I move.......
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
VA question
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 08:28:20 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Quote from: French G.
Thanks.
I started browsing online and found that If I just go into WV, prices dropped drastically, and land amounts doubled or tripled.
1 year, 9 months 'till I move.......
Be careful what parts of WV you're looking at.  The areas within commuting distances of MD/DC/Va are going up in price.  I know the Martinsburg (a bit over an hour from DC if you hit the traffic right) area is experiencing this problem.  

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
VA question
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:16:11 AM »
Thanks bro.  I'm just browsing for some kind of recreational property.  Nothing is set until the fat man sings and I'm there, on the ground.  Daydreaming like this helps me learn the area, anyways Tongue
Ideally, I'd love to have something less than 4 hours from home, at least 5 acres, walking distance to a lake or river, or a big enough property I could construct a 5acre + pond on.
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
VA question
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:47:40 AM »
Well, Wardensville is a mere 2hours or so from the Manassas area and is right next to the National Forest.  IIRC, a friend of mine bought a piece of land (5ish acres) with house, pool, dsl service available, etc for less than $300k.  It backs up to the Nat Forest on the WV side.  His commute sucks at 2hrs, but it's mostly highway and he does get to live in the country.  

I think I pointed this out in another thread, but I saw a 100acre parcel of land off of Rt55 between I81 and Wardensville (Va side of mtn) go for about 90k 6-7 years ago.  That was only an hour or so from Manassas, but well out of NoVa.

Depending on where you live, 4hrs puts you solidly in SW Va (Roanoke area), where you could probably find what you want much cheaper.  Also  check out the area around Harrisonburg.  It's a college town and land might be more there than it otherwise would be, but it should still be cheaper than anything close to NoVa.  That's about 2hrs from NoVa.  Going south, you probably won't get significantly cheaper until you get past Richmond (2+hrs).  That includes Nokesville, Catlet, etc.  Anything within 2hrs of NoVa is subject to price inflation due to commuters, especially if there's train service.  Properties two hours west via I66 are somewhat protected by the horrible traffic on I66 itself.  From Mclean (where I work) to Manassas is an hour most days.  I81, a mere 45 miles further west, is another hour during rush hour.  There's no commuter train service in that direction that I'm aware of.  Therefore, property two hours west via 66 is frequently cheaper than similar properties two hours south via 95 (Folks that far will take the train to DC).

Anyway, my point is to look into Southwestern Va (including Shenandoah Valley) or West Va (away from bedroom communities).  Four hours' drive gives you a lot of flexibility.  However, add an hour to that if you plan to make the trip during rush hour on Fridays.

Chris