Author Topic: UVA president defends use of jefferson quotation  (Read 1117 times)

griz

• friend
UVA president defends use of jefferson quotation
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:43:03 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-of-virginia-president-criticized-for-quoting-thomas-jefferson/

She used an inspiring quote from TJ and some of the students and faculty were offended because Jefferson owned slaves.  But instead of apologizing, the pres defended the use, noting with logic that seems to be uncommon lately:

“I fully endorse their right to speak out on issues that matter to all of us, including the University’s complicated Jeffersonian legacy,” Sullivan wrote. “Quoting Jefferson (or any historical figure) does not imply an endorsement of all the social structures and beliefs of his time.”

God for her.  Who knows, maybe they will learn something!
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jim147

• friends
Re: UVA president defends use of jefferson quotation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »
Thinking she will soon be replaced and or reeducated.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »
God for her.  Who knows, maybe they will learn something!

Not a chance.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:58:50 PM »
"You can lead a horse to water, but you don't want to know what a wet horse smells like."

ftfy

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
I understand that Martin Luther King quoted Thomas Jefferson on more than one occasion.

The UVA president should research exactly which Jefferson quotes were used by MLK, and then she should use them - and simply tell her critics she's quoting MLK, and they must all be racists to complain.

Then sit back and watch their heads explode.   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
I understand that Martin Luther King quoted Thomas Jefferson on more than one occasion.

The UVA president should research exactly which Jefferson quotes were used by MLK, and then she should use them - and simply tell her critics she's quoting MLK, and they must all be racists to complain.

Then sit back and watch their heads explode.   >:D

Like.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »
Just in case someone here not from Charlottesville doesn't know, that is Jefferson's university. He founded it. He designed and oversaw construction of the building where Sullivan  gave her speech. There is a big freaking statue of the dude right outside. In Virginia this is about as dumb as the call to rename Washington and Lee university.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.