Author Topic: VA / ADA Shower  (Read 476 times)

Chester32141

• friend
VA / ADA Shower
« on: December 28, 2022, 09:34:35 AM »
My wife is rated 90% disabled by the VA and we were just given word that they are willing to help on the cost of a shower conversion for her.  The approval phrased it as "an ADA accessible shower" ... The space is 55"x55" which if allowed to keep it open, gives me a little room to assist her in a roll in shower chair ... Unless I'm mistaken building code calls for an attached seat.  If I put in a shower seat, ADA requires it be foldable, on a side wall, running from front to back, with controls moved to the back wall.  Even folded up a seat long enough to satisfy ADA requirements shrinks the usable space considerably.  Reason being that the seat needs to have folding legs to support my wife not just hang from the wall.  If I put a smaller seat on the back wall and leave controls on the side the lay out works much better for us.  Anybody ever gotten VA assistance on a home remodel that could help me to understand if I have to follow the ADA rules or if there is some flexibility in them?  Thanks for any and all input.
Happy Holidays. 

:old:

So far, the VA has supplied us w/ a lift which has been a blessing because I was having a tough time getting her off the floor when her legs gave out and the ramps should be installed by the end of January.  We started the shower approval process over a year ago and although we got verbal approval 2 weeks ago, we still haven't gotten an acceptance letter.  I realize if I that take the gov money I have to dance to their tune ... I'd hate to have to pass up their assistance to keep my shower functional.
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: VA / ADA Shower
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 03:10:26 PM »
Most building codes adopt ICC/ANSI A117.1, which tracks very closely with the ADA insofar as the physical/technical requirements. The ADA requirements can be found on-line, whereas to get the A117.1 requirements you have to buy the book.

ADA Showers: https://www.ada.gov/law-and-regs/design-standards/2010-stds/#608-shower-compartments

There are basically three types: one 36" x 36" transfer shower stall, and two roll-in versions. The general rule as applied in my state is that the interior dimensions of accessible shower stalls are absolute -- to do anything with alternate dimensions requires a specific variance from the state, and I know of a case where a building inspector rejected a shower because it was built to 36" x 36" clear between the cement board backer sheets, but the tile reduced the inside dimension to 35".

That said, of the two roll-in showers one is 60" x 30" and the other is 60" x 36" with a reduced-width entry. I think with an available space of 55" x 55" it should be possible to configure a shower with a fold-up seat that allows sufficient clear space to maneuver a wheelchair into and out of the shower stall. But the seat is not required by the ADA in roll-in showers in private residences, only in hotels.

608.4 Seats. A folding or non-folding seat shall be provided in transfer type shower compartments. A folding seat shall be provided in roll-in type showers required in transient lodging guest rooms with mobility features complying with 806.2. Seats shall comply with 610.

EXCEPTION: In residential dwelling units, seats shall not be required in transfer type shower compartments provided that reinforcement has been installed in walls so as to permit the installation of seats complying with 608.4.

The 2009 edition of the A117.1 standard is mostly the same, except for the language of the exception. The strict application of the dimensions is more important in a transfer type shower stall, because you don't want to have the user transfer onto a seat in the stall and then not be able to reach the controls. All the requirements are predicated on the assumption of a single person using the facility unassisted. For a private home, the requirements don't call for the seat but they do require that blocking be installed so a seat can be added later. With all the blocking that's needed for the various grab bars, a bit more at the seat location shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Who are you talking to at the VA? At the local VA hospital where I go they have people who I think are titled as social workers, and such people might be able to help you understand if there's any flexibility in the application of the ADA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 04:57:43 PM »
Thanks Hawkmoon ... I was told about a week ago by Bettie's home care nurse that she was approved for the shower but no letter.  I had been designing the shower as a wet space to roll my wife in w/ a shower chair and either assist her or not as the moment required.  She can't do a transfer from one seat to another without help. The way I read it is if a seat is in the space it has to run the full length of one side wall and requires movement of the controls to the back wall.  For my wife's showering purposes no seat is preferable.  I'm happy to add seat support all the way around ... I was under the impression that building codes called for a seat ... are the ADA rules not applicable to private residences?
 :cool:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 06:45:04 PM »
The ADA is not a building code. It is federal, civil anti-discrimination law, and the ADAAG (ADA Architectural Guidelines) are the technical, administrative regulations. For a specific alteration to suit your family's particular needs, no -- the ADA does not apply. Where it applies is to homebuilders doing subdivisions, where state laws usually require that a percentage of new homes or dwelling units be built as accessible.

I posted a link to the ADAAG section about showers. The requirement for seat length is that it must extend from the back wall (the wall opposite the opening) to within 3 inches of the opening (meaning the open end of the wall it's mounted on). The shower controls should be on the wall adjacent to the wall the seat is mounted to and the centerline of the controls should be not more than 27 inches (horizontally) away from the wall to which the seat is mounted. For a shower stall that's 36 inches from the seat wall to the opposite wall (which probably won't help you), the controls can be on the wall directly opposite the seat, and horizontally not more than 15 inches to the left or right of the seat centerline.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 11:25:24 PM by Hawkmoon »

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 08:04:47 PM »
After looking a little closer at the site you linked I think I'll be able to find my answers there ... thanks again ... The shower may take forever but I'll let you know how it comes out.
 :O

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 12:10:11 AM »
Here's a web site for a vendor of pre-fab "ADA" showers. I'm not suggesting that you buy from them (although you could if they have something that fits your space), but seeing their stalls in 3-D may help you to visualize what you need to do.

https://www.barrierfree.com/product-category/ada-showers/roll-in/

Here's a site with a video that may help you better understand the operational reasons for the dimensions and requirements:

https://www.liquidimageco.com/what-is-ada-roll-in-shower/

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 12:28:36 PM »
Thanks for the links.  My house is built on a slab.  Do you recommend a shower pan such as in the link below or is that unnecessary due to the slab?  The contractor we chose is known for doing quality work and his quote was about $5,000 under the next lowest so I'm interested in giving him everything he needs to do the job right.  He currently is planning to go w/o a pan, but he'll use one if I want him to.  Thanks again.

https://www.freedomshowers.com/Shower-Pans/Level-Entry-Shower-Pan/APLES-6048-KIT-LAT

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce