Author Topic: Milt Sparks 55BN?  (Read 1388 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Milt Sparks 55BN?
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:45 PM »
Anyone have a Milt Sparks 55BN? What do you think of it?

I have found myself gravitating back to leather for some carry. I've been carrying my 1911s in a Milt Sparks Watch Six IWB for my last few road trips, and find I had forgotten how comfortable it is. I'd carried in that holster for quite some time, but then switched to the hybrids of the Crossbreed style six or so years back. I still like them for range work for ease of reholstering, but comfort-wise, the all leather IWB holster really has them beat.

I'm thinking I'd like to go back to all leather for OWB as well, hence am looking at the 55BN. Currently for OWB I'm just using the Crossbreed hybrid slide for the 1911s. It's pretty comfortable carry, but am thinking I'd like full leather to cover the barrel. Looks like his shop is currently down to a 2-3 month wait time.

Anyways, looking for input. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Milt Sparks 55BN?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
Going to a barbecue?   :P

Only Milt Sparks holster I have is an IWB and I haven’t worn that in years.  All of my daily use holsters are kydex now.   I find the kydex holds the gun more securely.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »
Going to a barbecue?   :P

Only Milt Sparks holster I have is an IWB and I haven’t worn that in years.  All of my daily use holsters are kydex now.   I find the kydex holds the gun more securely.

Well I AM moving to a place where I can wear barbecue guns everywhere. :P

Interestingly, I have found that the kydex holds my Walther and Glock very securely, but I don't see much difference in retention between the Crossbreed and the Watch Six with my full sized 1911s. Maybe weight related? Of course that's IWB with the holsters sandwiched between a belt and me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
The thing I like about the Crossbreed style holsters is the big thick leather backing that keeps the pistol off my skin.  I don't wear an undershirt most of the year.  Some pistols have more aggressive texturing on the grip than others.  

If you don't mind OWB, myself and someone I know have used a Tagua holster.  They are extra thick which provides good support.

I have a copy of a Milt Sparks holster that fits my CZ P01.  It is a good holster design.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
Yeah, I like the Crossbreed design on the leather for Summer wear. I ordered mine with horsehide as when it's hot, I wear that holster under a fishing shirt with no t-shirt. Still, I find nothing more comfortable than OWB, at least if you are located where printing and "peek-a-boo" are not a big deal.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »
I have a drawer full of Milt Sparks holsters but not the 55BN.  I still use Milt Sparks for my non-polymer guns, and the only kydex holster I have is for a polymer gun.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
I've stayed a lover of good leather. Kydex works, and I have some, but it's just not as comfy to me, nor, if I'm honest, as fun to own.  I have a Milt Sparks and an Alessi holster and while they are awesome, for the price and wait time I have gotten more custom holsters that are nicer, from smaller makers.  Plus better service by calling the one man shop up.

Andrews Leather, Holsters by Eric, and UBG have given me leather as good or better, with better service, then the big guys.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »
Thanks for the links Dogmush. I will check them out. I'm not tied to Milt Sparks by any means. Just don't want to go Galco, etc.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »
I have a few Milt Sparks holsters for a 1911, VM2 for IWB, a 1011 for OWB, a couple for my J frame also.

I like the holsters but the wait time is sometimes kind of long.

I have had this guy make a couple of holsters for me. If he is still in business his work is superb. Plus you get to talk to him before he builds it in case you want a little more drop or any other modifications.

99.9% of my carry is open carry so I normally use a Blackhawk Serpa CQB. I only go to leather in case I need to conceal for an event or date night to the fancy places in town.

I don't know if you have looked at Alien Gear Holsters but they are here n Post Falls (CDA, ID) and the next time you are through you can go in and talk to them.

bob

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 12:07:22 AM »
I have one in tan.  Had it for years now.  I haven't worn it for a while, mostly because i usually only wear suspenders ( I have no hips or ass to keep my pants up if I only wear a belt.  I guess I could go to belt and suspenders, but I usually carry my P-227 as a SigSauer Kydex OWB holster that clips to my pants.  I normally wear oversized T-shirts in Summer and sweaters/hoodies in Winter.  And then Open Carry once I leave this G-dforsaken state for a free state.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 08:56:53 AM »
I have one in tan.  Had it for years now.  I haven't worn it for a while, mostly because i usually only wear suspenders ( I have no hips or ass to keep my pants up if I only wear a belt.  I guess I could go to belt and suspenders, but I usually carry my P-227 as a SigSauer Kydex OWB holster that clips to my pants.  I normally wear oversized T-shirts in Summer and sweaters/hoodies in Winter.  And then Open Carry once I leave this G-dforsaken state for a free state.

What kind of woman wears suspenders?   :P
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 10:44:54 AM »
Yeah, I like the Crossbreed design on the leather for Summer wear. I ordered mine with horsehide as when it's hot, I wear that holster under a fishing shirt with no t-shirt. Still, I find nothing more comfortable than OWB, at least if you are located where printing and "peek-a-boo" are not a big deal.

I live in a location where printing and "peek-a-boo" can be a big deal -- and I still carry OWB. IWB doesn't work for me.

Milt Sparks are good holsters, but I much prefer Horseshoe Leather, from Andy Aratoonian in England (of all places). There are no finer, more comfortable holsters anywhere than Andy's.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »
... i usually only wear suspenders ( I have no hips or ass to keep my pants up if I only wear a belt.  I guess I could go to belt and suspenders...

A woman with no hips or ass?  Wearing suspenders?  I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... :P :laugh: :laugh:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.