Main Forums > The Roundtable

Man bites dog; deer carries rifle

<< < (4/4)

Northwoods:
In WA the rule is center fire, minimum 0.24ā€ bullet diameter.  For handguns a minimum 4ā€ (factory spec) barrel.  So, a .25ACP is legal for elk or bear (provided the 4ā€+ barrel requirement is met), but a .22WMR or even .22-250 or .220 Swift is illegal for coastal blacktails.  Never mind the .22mag has significantly more energy than the .25ACP.

Iā€™d rather see a muzzle energy requirement, but that is tough for gamies to enforce without a chronograph, a safe place to test fire a rifle, and a bullet puller and scale.  Much easier to look at the caliber.

grampster:
I killed my last deer with a Beretta Mod 96 pistol.  I fed it with Federal Hydra Shok 180 grain .40cal S&W.  I was hunting a dense thicket that had a couple of deer trails through it.  A rifle or shotgun would have been cumbersome in there.  I took the deer at about 10 paces in a small open area in the thicket.  It went about 100 yards before lying down and dying.  I was very surprised that the bullet passed completely through the deer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version