Main Forums > The Roundtable

Man bites dog; deer carries rifle

<< < (2/4) > >>

WLJ:

--- Quote from: Hawkmoon on November 27, 2020, 08:18:22 PM ---
Conversely, some states think .223/5.56x45 isn't powerful enough for deer -- even though it's a deadly, high-powered rifle if aimed at a human who weighs more than an average whitetail.

--- End quote ---

Blows up arms nicely

Angel Eyes:

--- Quote from: WLJ on November 27, 2020, 08:36:13 PM ---Blows up arms nicely

--- End quote ---

Also handy for dispatching pedophiles.

bedlamite:

--- Quote from: Angel Eyes on November 27, 2020, 08:38:36 PM ---Also handy for dispatching pedophiles.

--- End quote ---

Two out of three ain't bad.

230RN:

--- Quote from: Hawkmoon on November 27, 2020, 08:18:22 PM ---Poachers have been taking whitetail in North America with .22s for decades.

Conversely, some states think .223/5.56x45 isn't powerful enough for deer -- even though it's a deadly, high-powered rifle if aimed at a human who weighs more than an average whitetail.

--- End quote ---

<STANDING OVATION> For both pointing out about the poaching with .22s and the superior effectiveness of the .22 NATO round on creatures weighing more than about 150 lb.

Actually, I wouldn't put much faith in ".22-caliber Hornet rifle " given possible translation problems and the journalistic reputation for accuracy  in general.  On the other hand, I was surprised to discover that the .30 Carbine was legal for deer in some states where the critters grow pretty small.

I've always wondered about the negatively-biased Darwinian effects of antlered creatures, since from what I gather, a lot of them die from entanglement in various things including other antlered animals.  I once heard in Church that "God don't make no mistakes," but it immediatley occurred to me that "Maybe not, but He sure has some very wide manufacturing tolerances."

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94:
I once read a book by a big game hunter in Zimbabwe some years back.  He said he experimented with 22 Hornet and found it did just fine with good shot placement against everything but the larger animals.  He said he finally gave up using out of concern he wouldn't have great shot placement have a wounded animal getting away. 

Down here, the white tail deer are not that big.  223 works just fine especially if the ranges are not all that far.  I would definitely rather seem someone calmly shoot a 223 rifle rather than flinch shooting the 300WinMag someone told them they needed.  Lots of choices in between. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version