Author Topic: Handgun Optics  (Read 809 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Handgun Optics
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »
Problem: Aging eyes combined with indoor ranges (poor lighting) result in less than great shooting.

Solution (I thought): Handgun scope. However, having just spent an afternoon playing with a 2x handgun scope on a pretty decent 1911, I was unimpressed with the results. With a bit of squinting, at 25 yards I could shoot just as well without the scope as I could with it. I was expecting and hoping for better.

Question: The specs for the scope I was using don't provide any information on parallax. It's a lower-end scope, a Simmons, and parallax is not adjustable. I suspect that parallax may be optimized for 50-yards (if not 100 yards). If that's correct, not getting lined up behind the scope exactly the same for each shot would make a difference, wouldn't it? Does anyone know what the parallax default is for a typical handgun scope?

This is the one I tried:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN807732&src=tpCtgOp

Not being happy with the scope, I'm now planning to try a red dot. I know the "tombstone" types are parallax free. What about the tube-type red dots, such as the Ultradot, or the ubiquitous 30mm and 40mm red dots like this one:

Are those also parallax free?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:55:37 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Handgun Optics
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
The 1x red dots should be parallax free since they are 1x. I don't think they actually have parallax, just poor quality optics.

What do you want your pistol optic to do for you?  What do you normally do with that pistol?

The mini red dot sights, MRDS, are very popular on fighting handguns these days. People that use them and evaluate them say are worth the expense. I'm talking about the Trijicon RMR and similar small red dots.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
I hear Internet gun weenies say good things about the Trijicon RMR.  YMMV.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:16:21 PM »
C-More makes pretty good red dot optics. The competitive shooters I used to shoot with love them and swear by them.

http://www.cmore.com/

I'm going to get one for my next AR build.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:22:37 PM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
I've had a C-More on my first AR since '97 and it's held up well. Although I haven't gone rolling down hills or fallen on it etc.  The world has largely passed them by for long guns, but they're still very popular with the unlimited class USPSA type guys.

The upside with the C-More is that it's frame mounted, usually either with a grip panel or using a rail if the pistol has one. Or tapped right into the frame if it's a racegun with those holes in it. RMR, Doctor, Burris types of mini-reflexes usually require the slide be milled out and tapped which is obviously a rather permanent and drastic modification.
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »
Hawk,  I found out by accident that I didn't need better sights, I needed better eyes.  I was doing some shooting, and needed to make a change in my adjustable sights.  Put on my reading glasses so I didn't bugger up the screw using my multi-tool.  I left my reading glasses on under my shooting glasses (so I could keep making adjustments without needing to keep changing glasses.  Found that I saw the sights a whole lot better than I had in a long time, with less eye strain/fatigue.  This was with plain black sights on a standard black bulls-eye target, and slow deliberate fire (not combat shooting).  That might be a better starting point.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »
Hawk,  I found out by accident that I didn't need better sights, I needed better eyes.  I was doing some shooting, and needed to make a change in my adjustable sights.  Put on my reading glasses so I didn't bugger up the screw using my multi-tool.  I left my reading glasses on under my shooting glasses (so I could keep making adjustments without needing to keep changing glasses.  Found that I saw the sights a whole lot better than I had in a long time, with less eye strain/fatigue.  This was with plain black sights on a standard black bulls-eye target, and slow deliberate fire (not combat shooting).  That might be a better starting point.

Already did that. The problem is that, even with my specs on, although I can see the front sight more clearly the poor lighting doesn't hep me see the target at a distance of 75 feet. At 25 feet I'm fine, and I still practice with nothing but safety lenses at 25 feet.

I test 1911s, so I'm mounting the optic on an Aimpoint mount that replaces the right side grip panel and provides a convenient Weaver/Picatinny rail. The rail works out great, but the results from the scope just weren't what I was hoping for and I'm fairly certain the problem is parallax. I guess I need to try a holographic sight for confirmation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design