Author Topic: Just did my taxes  (Read 4702 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Just did my taxes
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 08:16:47 PM »
The government is taking it, and it never passes through my hands. Thus, I see that it's a cost to the business, but not "compensation" to me. Sorry if I seem thick.
It is every bit as much compensation as the part of your salary that is withheld for taxes and SS/Medicare. Government is taking it, never passes through your hands, etc.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »

Move tax day from April 15th to October 15th.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
No move it to election day.  You pay your taxes right before you step into the voting booth.   All of them, no withholding over the year.

And Fitz, generally it's not a good idea to file MFS.   And if you owe, you need to look closer at some of the other allowable deductions and the various credits.  (Deductions are worth, on average, $.25 in tax savings for every $1 in deductions, Credits however reduce your taxes dollar for dollar.) .  Pump money into an IRA now, that's deductible for last year.  (Full deduction if you and your wife have an AGI of less then $92,000, partial deduction if under $112,000 and no deduction if over $112,000 AGI.)   Also if she's got her own business, she's got five years to show massive losses which also knocks down your AGI.  Is it a sole proprietership, or Subchapter-S?  Especially if she keeps meticulous books on all income and expenses.    ;)

I do hope that you have sought professional advice (Not Bloch or Jackson-Hewitt or any place that pops up like a weed at tax time), but a real CPA.  And have not filed yet.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »
I haven't filed yet. Just used hr blocks website. I can't afford a CPA
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »
I do hope that you have sought professional advice (Not Bloch or Jackson-Hewitt or any place that pops up like a weed at tax time), but a real CPA.  And have not filed yet. 

+1 on this.  Especially if you have a business, even just on paper.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
I haven't filed yet. Just used hr blocks website. I can't afford a CPA

Have you checked into a CPA? I used to use one when I was driving truck and she saved me over a thousand dollars over doing the taxes myself. She found a lot of legit deductions I didn't even know about. IIRC, it cost me about $120 to have them done.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Have you checked into a CPA? I used to use one when I was driving truck and she saved me over a thousand dollars over doing the taxes myself. She found a lot of legit deductions I didn't even know about. IIRC, it cost me about $120 to have them done.

Indeed.  I pay my CPA $80ish at tax time.  Worth the money, IMO.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Fitz, find a CPA by referral from someone.

The game is rigged to where you need them.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
Bah

Ok
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »
Fitz, find a CPA by referral from someone.

The game is rigged to where you need them.

What this man said.

Money well spent.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »
Unless you've been doing your own taxes for years, and have studied the tax code in depth, the computer programs are for folks who don't have anything beyond a mortgage and medical expenses.  If you have a business, you need a CPA.  

I can pull out my camera phone and take pictures.  That does not, however, make me a photographer.

Go buy the expertise.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
Scout 26 said:
You pay your taxes right before you step into the voting booth.  All of them, no withholding over the year.

This!  If we all actually had to write a check each year/month/week, taxes would come way down very quickly...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »

I calculated my side work tax rate.  44.37%, since it is 1099 work.  I raked in $10k last year consulting.  I kept half, basically.  I am tempted to just start up a business and have the business blow all of it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:04 PM »
An example to back up what scout26 has been saying. I'm sure I've told this before.

Back in 1990, I was expecting to pay a few thousand in taxes. When my accountant dropped off the papers, I found that I owed $32,000 more than I'd been planning for.

I called another accountant. He did a few things (took my wife off the payroll, etc), and got it down to $18,000. I hired him immediately.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
I had a CPA that wasn't worth spit, started to see red flags and hear alarms in my head. I went looking for a new one and found a retired iRS agent turned CPA that specialized in corporate tax law.
He not only saved me money but he helped me recover some. Not only that but I think somebody somewhere up the foodchain got a tip and the previous accountant got stomped by the authorities.
My current CPA has saved me more than he has charged me. I have a small S corp and a small farm.
I asked the retired IRS guy if I could trust him after working for the dark side. He said he believes everybody should pay thier fair share but his job was to see to it that I got every deduction I am entitled to. Black and white- no grey
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 10:37:23 PM »
Unless you've been doing your own taxes for years, and have studied the tax code in depth, the computer programs are for folks who don't have anything beyond a mortgage and medical expenses.  If you have a business, you need a CPA.  

Yup. I have rentals and stuff besides my regular working gig. A few years ago for two years in a row I went through the extra work of using Quicken (the version that is made for rentals) while I sent my taxes to my CPA, just to do a comparison. My CPA beat Quicken by a good margin both years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."