Author Topic: Anything worthy from Shot Show 2016?  (Read 2977 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Anything worthy from Shot Show 2016?
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:07:22 PM »
Been looking around, and haven't seen much new and improved coming out of Shot Show this year.  Kimber's revolver looks to be the biggest news maker.  Colt has some new 1911s, including the rebirth of the Lightweight Commander.  Smith has variations on the M&P theme.  Glock has some optic-ready variations.  H&K and Beretta...nothing major.  I've been watching my YouTube channels and haven't seen any booth reviews or anything really exciting.

Anyone seen anything worth looking at?  Links appreciated.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Anything worthy from Shot Show 2016?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »
.50 BMG AK
https://www.facebook.com/TheAKGuy

Another funny looking AR15
https://www.cobaltkinetics.com/

Kriss handguns

Kimber revolver

TAVOR X95

Springfield Armory is making a tactical XD. Without a threaded barrel. And an LCP knockoff. Or whatever you wanna call the tiny pistol with built in laser.

Kalashnikov USA is making a US AK that is tacticool. Rumor is it almost destroyed a town in upper Michigan.
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2016/01/19/ak-alpha-rifle-from-kalashnikov-usa/

Another 12 gauge AR. Plenty of new colors that claim to be new guns but aren't.

Sig is releasing a weird MP5 knockoff 9mm carbine. MPX, original.

New priming tool from Lee Precision. I'm not sure if the internet gun folk jihad is still called on them or not?

CZ Scorpion carbines
https://youtu.be/58-JsN0AGWk

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:35:19 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
Gun Talk Radio was a replay last Sunday.  I am expecting to hear more this Sunday.  

Springfield Armory had a bunch of new product emails going out daily, but I haven't see one for a few days.  I need to check my spam folder when I get home. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »
Been looking around, and haven't seen much new and improved coming out of Shot Show this year.  Kimber's revolver looks to be the biggest news maker.  Colt has some new 1911s, including the rebirth of the Lightweight Commander.  Smith has variations on the M&P theme.  Glock has some optic-ready variations.  H&K and Beretta...nothing major.  I've been watching my YouTube channels and haven't seen any booth reviews or anything really exciting.

The Kimber snubby is about the only thing I've seen that's interesting.  But, I've got that pretty well covered.

New priming tool from Lee Precision. I'm not sure if the internet gun folk jihad is still called on them or not?

Huh?  I'm unaware of anything like that. 

Springfield Armory had a bunch of new product emails going out daily,

Nothing SA revealed over the past week's promotion struck me as all that revolutionary.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
Were the SA emails just over the last week?  I thought I remember it was 19 new products.  I guess I misread.  I agree that none of what I saw was really new.  Just a couple variations and old guns with lasers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
.50 BMG AK
https://www.facebook.com/TheAKGuy

Another funny looking AR15
https://www.cobaltkinetics.com/

Kriss handguns

Kimber revolver

TAVOR X95

Springfield Armory is making a tactical XD. Without a threaded barrel. And an LCP knockoff. Or whatever you wanna call the tiny pistol with built in laser.

Kalashnikov USA is making a US AK that is tacticool. Rumor is it almost destroyed a town in upper Michigan.
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2016/01/19/ak-alpha-rifle-from-kalashnikov-usa/

Another 12 gauge AR. Plenty of new colors that claim to be new guns but aren't.

Sig is releasing a weird MP5 knockoff 9mm carbine. MPX, original.

CZ Scorpion carbines
https://youtu.be/58-JsN0AGWk
If I had won it big on the lottery, I would probably have to build a warehouse size gun storage area.  That AK looks really good. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 04:48:07 PM »

He's talking about how Lee always plays second-fiddle in reloading circles to Dillon.

Lee Dies - awesome.
Lee Single stage presses - awesome.
Lee Progressive presses - Fussy, so-so reputation.

Looks like ELCAN is stepping into the space left by the huge L3-EoTech recall in the holographic sight market.  It'll probably cost at least 2x as much as a comparable EoTech (the milspec temperature thing that got them in trouble not withstanding) and it's unclear if the back looking like the Tim Burton Batmobile, and the front like a droopy scrotum will hurt it's market acceptance.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/01/19/shot-show-elite-defense-debuts-specter-holographic-combat-optic-by-elcan/
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 05:24:57 PM »

You just want photos of booth babes, don't you?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 05:58:47 PM »
Magpul is coming out with a mag for the AK74s.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:15:20 PM »
Also apparently Kalishnikov USA is coming out with some 9mm AKs.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »
Were the SA emails just over the last week?  I thought I remember it was 19 new products.  I guess I misread.  I agree that none of what I saw was really new.  Just a couple variations and old guns with lasers.

It was a giveaway.

I didn't win anything.  =(

Like Lee said, nothing really new, just redressing on their old stuff. The M1A is about as silly as silly can be with it's tacticooliness.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 06:53:33 PM »

President of Lee Precision called someone at THR a liar when UPS had no proof they delivered a second unordered package to a customer. Guy posted on some forums. Basically Lee acted rudely. Mixed thoughts on the apology.

Dear Folks on the High Road:

I have spent the whole weekend thinking about the firestorm I created with four simple words. Sunday evening I read your comments with my daughter Steph. After reading your comments she asked what can you do and I had to answer I don’t know.

A sleepless Sunday night gave me ample time to reflect on the mess I created. It brought back a memory of a local sport shop owners story years ago. I asked him why he sold his shop and his story was this. He remembered an old sport shop in town that had an ornery old guy that ran the place, he swore to himself he would never be like that to customers. Then one day after yelling at a customer he realized he was becoming the ornery old shop owner and it was time to make good on his pledge and move on.

I also remember shortly before my dad retired coming to his office while he was on the phone with an unruly customer. After he hung up he commented he was too old for this expletive and from that point on let me deal with the problems.

My point in mentioning this is that owners of small businesses are the ones that take the calls from customers that have been worked up into froth and want to “speak to the manager” I think we burn out and get the attitude I’ll treat you as badly as you treat me.

I am in total agreement with many of your comments and am afraid I am becoming the ornery old shop owner. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is too early for me to move on as I thoroughly enjoy coming to work and love building the most affordable reloading equipment on the planet. I still enjoy talking to customers and speak to them daily. Chances are if the phone rings more than three times at Lee the male voice answering the phone is me; if one of our two full time technicians is busy it is I again

What I said to “Stinger” was inexcusable and I am sorry. I am sorry because it was not a Christian thing to do and it fails my rule I preach to my kids that “ if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all” I also apologize to “Stinger” for my unnecessary and rude comment.

I apologize to our loyal Lee Customers for giving them concern and pledge to count to 10 before engaging my vocal cords and promise to get out before I become the ornery owner.

Sincerely

John Lee, President
Monday, June 21, 2004

A viewer or participant from your site has asked that Lee Precision address a matter with Mr. Justin Newman. He asked that his name not be used.

I have listened to both sides of the discussion: that is our customer service people and Mr. Newman. I have reviewed the relevant documents indicating delivery.

The problem was created entirely by Lee Precision and for that I apologize. Lee Precision inadvertently sent a package to Mr. Newman. We asked that the package be returned and that we would send a UPS call tag to retrieve. This did not work out because Mr. Newman now claims that the package was never received. For clarification his credit card was never charged and no bill was rendered. A balance for the miss shipped package was applied to his account so if an order was placed in the future it would flag our order entry people that this account needs attention.

I did offer Mr. Newman to send his requested service parts for his Load Master and in the conversation I expressed my opinion that I did not trust him based on the information that has been presented. At that he refused my offer for service parts and let me know that the whole world will hear of his problem with Lee Precision customer service.

We bend over backwards to provide the best possible product at competitive prices and our repair and customer service people know that I want them to treat customers like they would want to be treated themselves. Broken Lee parts can be returned to the factory and are replaced no questions asked.

If Mr. Newman really did not receive the package he has my heartfelt apology.

Sincerely

John Lee, President
Friday, June 18, 2004

Afterwards:
They have my phone number and address, if they want to make it right for me, they know where to reach me. A sincere apology and an end to this ludicrous charge is all that I ask. I'm not holding my breath.

Otherwise, it is merely an apology for P.O.ing the readers of this forum, nothing more, nothing less. It is a CYA, so as not to lose more business. But it is certainly not an apology to me. Although I am glad that he apologized to my distinguished fellow members, I, however, am the one who was wronged. If they want to apologize to me, I expect it "man to man," not over the internet.

Mr. Lee, you insulted me over the phone, why not apologize that way?

Regards,

Stinger

*I have received two notices regarding the $40ish that I "owe" Lee Precision.

One was a letter telling me that they could not send another order due to the balance.

The other was an INVOICE (yes that's right, I was sent a bill) for $41.96 for the package that I did not order. No, they have not charged my credit card, because they know it is illegal to do so, especially when the package was neither ordered, nor received by me. But I was billed, nontheless.

-out,

I do not plan to file a suit against anyone. They have caused me much frustration, confusion, irritaiton, and grief, but compensation is not my objective. My main goal in posting the thread is to let my fellow gunners and reloaders know about Lee's customer service (and possible illegal activities, ie being charged for something I did not order).

I notified the Better Business Bureau in Hartford, Wisconsin, and should receive a call back in about 3 weeks (I contacted them last week). What may come of that, I do not know. Probably nothing. But every complaint leaves its mark.

It was not my intent to bring Lee into the discussion on this forum, although I am glad they decided to chime in. It gave you all the opportunity to see both sides of the story. I let him know that I would be posting on this and other forums so that he might know that just because I am a little guy, I do have a voice.

I certainly do not appreciate my name being posted. That, in and of itself, goes beyond anything else they already have done. I do not appreciate it, and that just shows one more example of their poor businessmanship. They should never post customer names on public websites.

In my separate dealings with Lee, my objective was/is to resolve this issue. Apparently that will not happen. After speakng to Lee, I sent the company an email asking how I might go about getting the parts to fix my press, and have had no, zero, nada response. I will probably send another email again today or tomorrow asking about those parts.

Regards,

Stinger

td;lr - Lee Precision called a customer a liar, tried to bill them for goods allegedly not received (no proof they were), publicly apologized but allegedly never resolved the original issue. All of this over $40. I personally resolved unless I heard otherwise never to buy from them again.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
The Sig MPX has been out for awhile. I have one.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »

You just want photos of booth babes, don't you?

Been married just shy of 19 years...what do you think?

Nah, I'm bored, got some fun money headed my way, and want to do some shopping, so want to do some research...

ON GUNS!
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:44:16 PM »
It was a giveaway.

I didn't win anything.  =(

Like Lee said, nothing really new, just redressing on their old stuff. The M1A is about as silly as silly can be with it's tacticooliness.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/new-products/
I didn't see a new M1A.  I agree that the "tactical" SOCOM is odd.  I like the polymer stock for the Loaded M1A. 
Overall, the make good guns, but I thought they were making a big deal about nothing with the new products. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
That Cobalt Kinetics rifle looks like they are going for the Star Wars crowd.  It is kind of neat, but a bit overboard. 

I really like the new Kalashnikov USA AK.  Looks like it has all the upgrades I would want on an AK is a good package. 

The KRISS Sphinx pistols look a bit expensive for high cap polymer pistols.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
http://www.springfield-armory.com/new-products/
I didn't see a new M1A.  I agree that the "tactical" SOCOM is odd.  I like the polymer stock for the Loaded M1A. 
Overall, the make good guns, but I thought they were making a big deal about nothing with the new products. 

http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/ It's the CQB that's new, with the AR stock and the AK grip. I guess the website has gone funky or something.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 07:19:56 AM »
He's talking about how Lee always plays second-fiddle in reloading circles to Dillon.

Lee Dies - awesome.
Lee Single stage presses - awesome.
Lee Progressive presses - Fussy, so-so reputation.

Looks like ELCAN is stepping into the space left by the huge L3-EoTech recall in the holographic sight market.  It'll probably cost at least 2x as much as a comparable EoTech (the milspec temperature thing that got them in trouble not withstanding) and it's unclear if the back looking like the Tim Burton Batmobile, and the front like a droopy scrotum will hurt it's market acceptance.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/01/19/shot-show-elite-defense-debuts-specter-holographic-combat-optic-by-elcan/

Lee Classic Cast Turret press...

BEYOND awesome.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
President of Lee Precision called someone at THR a liar when UPS had no proof they delivered a second unordered package to a customer. Guy posted on some forums. Basically Lee acted rudely. Mixed thoughts on the apology.

Interesting. I use Lee dies and presses, but I was not aware of this incident. The "apology" was, IMHO, not an apology at all. "I apologize to "Stinger" IF he really didn't receive the package that he didn't order and that we screwed up and sent ... somewhere." That's not much of an apology.

Lee seems to be a lot like Joseph Arthur Ciener, the .22 conversion guy: good products,  backed by the customer service attitude of an angry orangutan. But John Lee is (was?) the founder of the company. Is he still even alive? I believe he turned management over to his son several years ago. We seem to have forgiven Ruger now that Bill is no longer at the helm, perhaps Lee Precision deserves the same second chance.

Does anyone know if Lee finally cancelled the bogus invoice?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 09:41:35 AM »
For a while there Ruger seemed to be angling for the status of sole supplier to assault weapon ban states.  Since Bill Ruger died, they have turned that around quite a bit. 

T.O.M.

• friend
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 11:25:02 AM »
In Range TV (Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons and his buddy Karl) are putting up a bunch of short vids from the Shot Show range.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeUNM9NqJqZXfRNeuW4_2sg

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 03:17:12 PM »
What about the S&W Performance Center Shield with barrel ports? If that's not a blast from the past.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend