Author Topic: A pic with the Leica...  (Read 2811 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
A pic with the Leica...
« on: April 02, 2006, 01:13:34 PM »
Reinstalled Kodak Hotshots so I can manipulate pix now. Here's one I liked...

Avoid cliches like the plague!

...has left the building.

A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:18:11 PM »
I like the color. Which model Leica do you have? I've always wanted an M-series.

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks the camera is ~ 1957 M3. I'm just learning how to use it. It's a neat little thing. Comes with a detachable light meter that interlocks with the shutter speed dial, so you set your aperture and dial in the meter to match and it "automatically" sets the shutter speed.

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:31:21 PM »
Honestly though, the quality of the image I see on the screen is nothing compared to the print.

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 01:41:44 PM »
same shot one stop slower...

This is the one I like better

Iain

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 01:41:57 PM »
Can we get a bigger scan? I like that picture. A lot.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:43:50 PM »
I'll try... hang on!

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:48:33 PM »
try this? Seems to be losing quality...

Iain

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:54:06 PM »
It is. Shame. Old farm machinery brings back lots of good childhood memories. Really nice picture, and glad to see you're getting to use that camera.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 02:38:46 PM »
Here's another, slightly different subject. Again losing quality in the translation I'm afraid. I'm taking these from a CD btw not scanning them in. I think that accounts for the lack of definition.

Mental note: Next time use the long lens for birdies...

Cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 03:32:24 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
I've always wanted an M-series.
While not as sexy as a Leica M*, check out the Voigtlander Bessa R2A and R3A cameras.  They're M Mount cameras, letting you use Leica glass, but a fraction of the cost of a Leica.  You can get either body for less than $600.  Use the savings on glass.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtr2ar3a.htm

I fondled an early R* series a year or so ago.  It was pretty nice, but not as sexy as a Leica.  If I ever buy another manual film body, it's going to be one of the R3As ('cause it has 40mm framelines that match perfectly with the Voigtlander 40mm Nokton...).

280, not to get technical and all, but in the version you like better, I think it's overexposed by a hair.  While it's hard to judge from a scan viewed on my old monitor, your highlights look like they don't contain much detail.  I do prefer the latter shot's framing.

Chris

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 03:54:14 PM »
It's cool Chris, critique away. I see what you mean about the details, I was playing with the exposure time a little just to see what the difference would be. The first roll I took seemed kind of dark all the way through so I wanted to see if overiding the light meter by one stop would make a difference. Looks like the meter is pretty close. The thing I liked about the overexposed shot was the shadows weren't as dark off the front wheels so it's got more detail of the grass in that area. But I can see where the tops of the wheels are a bit washed out. I'll tell you one thing. Using that 400 outside on a bright day really limits the number of aperture settings you have available. I think those were like 16 and 11 with 1000th shutter speed. I have one more roll of the 400 then I think I'll go to the 125 and play around with that.

I'm pretty sure I cropped that second shot btw.

The bird was but a speck on the print so it's cropped and enlarged a bit (er a lot). Too bad the quality suffered, you can see much clearer detail on the print even though it's small.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
280, looks like you and the Leica are getting along well. The second picture has more detail overall, but as mentioned the highlights are washed out. Maybe try taking a piece of white posterboard and using it as a reflector to fill in the dark areas around the wheels. Should lighten up the wheels without overexposing and washing out the highlights.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 07:18:44 PM »
I handled a Bessa R3A in a store side by side with a Leica M7.  That life-size viewfinder of the Bessa is to die for.  Even if the Leica wasn't $3000 more expensive, I think I'd still prefer the Bessa.  If I ever buy a new 35mm camera, that's the one it'll be.  

That said, I'd be happy to provide a loving home for any unwanted Leicas that may be floating around...

Telperion

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 07:25:18 PM »
I have always wanted to try a rangefinder camera.  I know they now have digital rangefinder cameras, but they cost more than some of the intermediate-level DSLRs.

...has left the building.

A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 12:50:40 PM »
280plus- M3...very nice!

mtnbkr- Thanks for the recommendation! Just from the link, they look like excellent cameras. My wife is a photographer, has a B.S. in it an all that. We love old school equipment and plan on starting a collection at some point. We just aquired a Yashica MAT, which is a Rollei copy for much less. I'm sure the Voigtlander/Leica comparison is similar to the Yashica/Rollei.

280plus

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
Thanks, if only I had the education to go with it. I may find myself in some continuing ed classes at some point though.

Kestrel

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »
Daniel,

You will love that Yashica Mat. That was my first medium format camera (a 124G). I have a couple of large framed prints from mine, hanging on our walls.

They have very good lenses, for such a reasonably priced camera.

Good luck.

doczinn

• friend
A pic with the Leica...
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »
For those of you who like photography, check out treklens.com and trekearth.com.
D. R. ZINN