Author Topic: Netgear Storage Central  (Read 1242 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Netgear Storage Central
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »
Does anyone use Netgear Storage Central? http://www.netgear.com/products/details/SC101.php
If so, I'm curious as to how you like it. It looks like a slick, compact setup for centralized data storage and backup for a home network.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

client32

• friend
Netgear Storage Central
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 04:16:27 AM »
I've been waiting for an affordable thing like this.  I am mainly looking for the HD reduntancy.

No experience here though.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Marnoot

• friend
Netgear Storage Central
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 05:22:27 AM »
I've had terrible luck with NetGear products in the past. I was constantly having to power cycle my router to keep it working. That said, their non-router offerings might not be too bad; and this thing is 1/4 the price of the cheapest Linksys network attached storage.

I would just make sure you read up on *user* reviews and forum threads about it on Google and see what people think before you make a purchase decision. I make the distinction about user reviews, because "professional" reviewers are good at rating things like features, usability, etc., but they rarely have the product long enough to rate reliability, which is one of the most important aspects to me.

client32

• friend
Netgear Storage Central
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:45:51 AM »
The reason for the price diference might be that this thing doesn't com with any harddrives.  You will have to buy them seperatly.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Kestrel

• friend
Netgear Storage Central
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:04:06 AM »
It works ONLY with DHCP. If you need static IP addressing, it won't work.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Netgear Storage Central
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:16:25 AM »
10-4 on using the user reviews -- that's saved me from buying supposed "five star review" pieces of crap in the past. Smiley

I am mainly looking at it as an inexpensive "fileserver option", since it mirrors drives. I'm really bad about backing up data frequently enough, and figured this might be a good solution for centrally storing and accessing lots of data files from four different computers. I wouldn't have to keep all the computers on all the time to get data from whichever local drive from one computer to another.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Netgear Storage Central
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 07:01:26 AM »
We got a demo unit in at work awhile ago.  I immediately lost interest in it when I saw that it requires Windows clients to work.  If you need a NAS device look for something that can be managed from any platform via a web page.