Author Topic: The personal cost of standing up against tyranny.  (Read 2623 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
The personal cost of standing up against tyranny.
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Narrator browses over the fates of those who signed the Declaration of Independence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhgfknG8hhg

They must all be rolling in their graves these days.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The personal cost of standing up against tyranny.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:07:38 PM »
“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”

-John Adams

A huge raving Statist of the first order and butcher of liberty vis-a-vis the office of President... but still somewhat redeemable by the above quote.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:34:58 PM »
“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”

-John Adams

A huge raving Statist of the first order and butcher of liberty vis-a-vis the office of President... but still somewhat redeemable by the above quote.

A statist of that era would be considered a raving, radical individualist in today's political climate.  Would that our policriters as statist as Adams.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:03:46 PM »
A statist of that era would be considered a raving, radical individualist in today's political climate.  Would that our policriters as statist as Adams.

Not really, IMO.  They all use the government as a force proxy to violate the NAP against people minding their own business.  It's just degrees of incrementalism.  Adams was probably the first.  Making him the progenitor of the movement to undo America.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 09:57:45 AM »

-John Adams

Except the last several generations have taken great pains in gutting our freedoms and liberties like trouts. They've done little to preserve freedom, by and large, in quite a while and paid little to no cost. While spending cash like water, in order to shackle the next generation with debt they did not incur. Not that plenty of my generation wouldn't vote for more shackles and chain.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »
Except the last several generations have taken great pains in gutting our freedoms and liberties like trouts. They've done little to preserve freedom, by and large, in quite a while and paid little to no cost. While spending cash like water, in order to shackle the next generation with debt they did not incur. Not that plenty of my generation wouldn't vote for more shackles and chain.

Without economic freedoms, all other freedoms are meaningless.  -Me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »
Says the formerly kept man.  :rofl:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Says the formerly kept man.  :rofl:

Some folks are happy to give up their economic freedoms in exchange for other things. As long as it's voluntary, it's not a bad thing. Becoming a judge means you give up certain economic freedoms, due to conflicts of interest. Being a stay at home mom or dad gives up certain economic freedoms, kids alone limit your options.

This is not bad. I'd voluntarily give up a fair amount of economic freedom to be Christina Hendricks' kept man, as a random example.

Freedom means the ability to freely choose. You can say "na". 2A doesn't mean you MUST own a gun. 1A doesn't mean you MUST have an opinion.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
Some folks are happy to give up their economic freedoms in exchange for other things. As long as it's voluntary, it's not a bad thing. Becoming a judge means you give up certain economic freedoms, due to conflicts of interest. Being a stay at home mom or dad gives up certain economic freedoms, kids alone limit your options.

This is not bad. I'd voluntarily give up a fair amount of economic freedom to be Christina Hendricks' kept man, as a random example.

Freedom means the ability to freely choose. You can say "na". 2A doesn't mean you MUST own a gun. 1A doesn't mean you MUST have an opinion.

Well said, sir.

It's about volition. The problem: choices have consequences, and our current culture is more concerned with freedom from consequences than with freedom of choice.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
We live in an economy of coercion and force.  You are forced to participate, not participate, and are forced to subsidize a myriad of other parts of the economy.  Even the little bit you think is free (IE discretionary spending) isn't, as it too is affected by taxation through force at all levels.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
I volunteer to be Maggie's ( walking Dead ) kept man.

However, not to drift to much, I've always been sympathetic to the Whiskey Rebellion.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 02:52:52 PM »
Individual liberty is fast becoming a form of extremism, even terrorism, to the tyrants-in-waiting.  Tony Kushner, scenarist for Lincoln, refers to "psychotic individualism" in a recent interview.  He has no problem, apparently, with the same-sex marriage variety of individualism, though, being a practitioner himself.  We who care about individual liberty should expect to be viewed as crazies on the margin.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 02:57:37 PM »
I volunteer to be Maggie's ( walking Dead ) kept man.

However, not to drift to much, I've always been sympathetic to the Whiskey Rebellion.

The whiskey rebellion: Domestic terrorisim?
Also, proof the the failings of this form of government from the start.
JD

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Formerly sumpnz

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose.

I'm as free as a bird, and this bird you cant change.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
Of course there's a cost for standing up against tyranny.  But it's less, ultimately, than the cost of not standing up against tyranny.  Perhaps that view is what separates them from us.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.