Author Topic: Cheaper than dirt sponsors the SAF  (Read 3002 times)

drewtam

• friend
Cheaper than dirt sponsors the SAF
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
SAF ANNOUNCES 2013 DIAMOND SPONSOR CHEAPER THAN DIRT!

BELLEVUE, WA - The Second Amendment Foundation today announced that CheaperThanDirt has made an unprecedented contribution of $100,000, making the online sporting goods retailer SAF's first-ever Diamond Level sponsor.

“The level of support from CheaperThanDirt both delighted and shocked me,” said SAF Director of Development Ray Carter. “SAF has never before received a single donation of this size and by itself CheaperThanDirt’s contribution will make possible a major expansion of SAF legal action and education efforts. We are privileged to consider CheaperThanDirt a partner in our efforts.”
http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=422

Sounds like CTD is feeling the pain of pissing off every gun owner in the middle of a huge political battle. This doesn't change my disgust with their betrayal, nor does it change my purchasing plans.

But it does raise the questions...
What would CTD have to do to earn your business back?
How much time will it take or what would they have to do to get your forgiveness?

[sorry for continually modifying the post, just trying to add more details and links.]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:57:22 PM by drewtam »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Cheaper than dirt sponsors the SAF
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »
Could've just donates 1k PMAGS. More symbolically fitting. >:D
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »

Nothing, because I won't deal with them or their ilk. Why would I buy from them when there are much better places to do business with? This is far from CTD's only moment of stupidity.

There's a free market solution for bad businesses like CTD. They wither and die due to lack of customers and the customers go support better businesses which grow strong.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
How much time will it take or what would they have to do to get your forgiveness?

1. Publicly apologize to the gun community for CTD's ass hat maneuver.
2. Publicly tell all of the anti-gun community to piss off, including congress and Obama.
3. Complete change of management.
4. Completely restock and ship at cost all orders that CTD cancelled due to their ass hat manuever.
5. Promise to sell at cost all standard capacity magazines for a period of 180 days.

Edit to add:

These 5 steps only gets CTD a second look from me. This is no gaurantee that I would actually shop there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »
I was mildly annoyed when Appleseed "partnered" with CTD for promotional purposes, since their ammo is always more expensive than Wideners or Ammoman or other places.  

I'm hoping Appleseed breaks with CTD after this market gouging.

CTD is dead to me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm less bothered by the gouging as I am the initial decision to no longer sell modern sporting rifles.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
Hopefully the check clears before CTD goes under.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
Gouging is what it is, a dick move on their part but hey it's the free market capitalism we all love so much. I'm not mad at them for that.

I'm mad at them for canceling orders that had already been paid for, so they could sell those goods at jacked up prices. I'm mad at them for stopping the sale of modern sporting rifles. And this does nothing to appease me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »
How many of you have read their explanation of why they stopped selling guns after Sandy Hook?

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=35788

Between this and selling PMAGS for $100 each I'm done with them.  I'm all for people making money but their actions look  like a PC, knee jerk reaction followed by price gouging and taking advantage of the situation.  I might be wrong but right now their actions smell like bullsh*t and it will take a lot more than this to get any business out of me.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
I was done with them before it was cool to be done with them (12-13 years).  After both of my first two orders with them were "backordered" with no indication of that on their website, I said scroo 'em and never looked back.  There are so many good places to do business with, why waste any time withe scumbags?

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
I was done with them before it was cool to be done with them (12-13 years).  After both of my first two orders with them were "backordered" with no indication of that on their website, I said scroo 'em and never looked back.  There are so many good places to do business with, why waste any time withe scumbags?

Chris

I stopped for the same reason as Chris. While I did get a few really good deals from them, there were one too many unexpected backorders, and if I remember right, they charged my card at time of order as well. I'd rather pay 10% more and have more reliable service.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
This is a good move on their part, regardless of motive.  The market will determine what they do with their actual business decisions.

Not going to waste any more energy on a company i never used anyway.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 08:04:49 PM »
I rarely listen to talk radio anymore,  but someone oughta tell Glenn Beck that CTD is in fact NOT on the side of the angels this time.  Heard him pimping them a few weeks ago and it was one of those " Are we talking about the same company?"  moments.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
Well, they only had to sell ten pmags to get that much money to donate.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
Maybe I'm the only person here, but I'll say it anyway.  I don't fault them for selling anything at prices people are willing to pay.  If you are selling something under market value, you are not a business, you are a charity.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 10:20:37 PM »
There is always going to be people willing to pay even if they went up to $200.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 10:40:50 PM »
Just ordered a couple 20-round AK mags from them to show my support.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 10:47:32 PM »
Maybe I'm the only person here, but I'll say it anyway.  I don't fault them for selling anything at prices people are willing to pay.  If you are selling something under market value, you are not a business, you are a charity.

IMHO it's not the price it's the 'tude they have first and foremost...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 10:54:40 PM »
Having read their posted reason for the temporary suspension in sales, I can see why they did it.

I look at the local brick & mortar store, and how they got wiped clean of anything that was mag-fed, autoloading and black.

They can't get new inventory from any of their dealers. 

Granted, they sold everything in house, but it doesn't bode well for such places in the next year or whenever the new firelocks get sent their way...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »

I think the objection is more to canceling already placed orders so that the goods can be resold at the inflated prices.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »
I think the objection is more to canceling already placed orders so that the goods can be resold at the inflated prices.

Oh.  First I've heard of it.  That's a dick move.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

isn't ctd primarily a drop ship operation?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
I'm not sure there's anything they could do to get my business, never having bought anything from them in the past.  I've always been able to find what I'm looking for either cheaper or closer (no shipping).

Having just read their explanation, it just don't smell right.  There are too many other businesses that were/are under the same circumstances and didn't have to stop shipments and/or sales.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
I have no particular problem with Cheaper Than Dirt suspending sales and shipments through dealers.  They were just covering their butts initially and trying to get a handle on what was going on.

I absolutely condemn them for gouging on ammunition and accessories.  Retailers should maintain a higher standard.  They can limit sales volumes, but the price should reflect their cost rather than what the market will bear.

I have not bought from them in months.  I have mixed feelings about them and you really have to pay attention to their warehouse situation or you can be really beat up on shipping costs.  They need to figure out some other approach as it does hurt sales and future sales.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »
They can limit sales volumes, but the price should reflect their cost rather than what the market will bear.
So you think prices should be fixed through some arbitrary scheme rather than set by the market?