Author Topic: So I qualify to be "stimulated"  (Read 7795 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: So I qualify to be "stimulated"
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 11:45:48 AM »
My brother-in-law is going to install a furnace for me. I'm going to pay $1500 less for the job after taxes. At the same time, he's going to pay $1500 more out of his profit from furnace installations such as mine to fund furnace installations such as mine.
Or, knowing that consumers are getting $1500 tax credits, furnace installers may decide to increase what they charge.

If you're really feeling guilty, you could always slip your B-I-L a little extra under the table, too.  :cool:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
I'm planning on replacing the furnace and air conditioning in my home this spring.

What is the exact criteria for getting the tax break?  95% unit?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:39 AM »
spring is the busy season  if you shop around and are willing to mlet them do yours when its slow you might get a deal. an example of that would be i used columbia propane to change out my whole system 11 years ago before i got into construction  5800 bucks.  i could get a sub to do it today for less than 3 k. i work deals where i get flexible on when for a price break.  you could also arrange to buy it yourself and get the units in place to try to save as well. they can be challenging to move but i have faith in you
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »
I'm planning on replacing the furnace and air conditioning in my home this spring.

What is the exact criteria for getting the tax break?  95% unit?

Instead of waiting for someone else to do the hard work, I googled what the tax credit covers:

Insulation - 30% of cost up to $1500

Central A/C - 30% of cost up to $1500

Split Systems:
EER >=13
SEER >= 16

Package systems:
EER >= 12
SEER >= 14

Natural Gas or Propane Furnace - 30% of cost up to $1500
AFUE >= 95

That certainly makes it worthwhile to have a 95% unit installed over an 80%.  Both of which would be an improvement over the 40% we have now...

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
you could do a package syatem yourself  and i've done regular systems where i did everything except the final connections and charging and saved a bunch. especially if its a side job
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »
for example right now there are 2 new in the box units for sale for 1k each on craigslist. if i had it set and in place i can get it hooked and charged for 500-maybe 700

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »
tell me more about this package system deal.  I'm going to need a new AC this year.

Chris

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »
its a box  everything in it one unit  you mount it outside house and cut a hole to run the ductwork inside and tie into existing ductwork. most commonly used on smaller homes or when you put on an addition and want to be able to zone it cheaply. i haven't bought one in a while but i can check and if you go that way i've got an account at nolan plumbing you can use  its a cash avccount and i don't get the big discount like a big dealer but you  are welcome to use it. i can ask around to see who might be available to hook it up but you could probably do it yourself  come precharged so you just make electrical hookup to power it and connect thermostat and connect to existing ductwork and you are on. if you wanna go the other way check fredericksburg craigslist or richmonds i forget where i saw the ac units for a grand

• friends

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »
My BIL will have one of his guys do the job on a weekend for cash, and I'll be charged wholesale for the parts. Total cost including materials and installation for the furnace and AC will be about $2500.

Hey, wait a minute. If I'm paying cash, I don't qualify for stimulation.

Moral dilemma solved.

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »
not so  get a receipt for paying and you qualify

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 07:43:30 PM »
not so  get a receipt for paying and you qualify

Exactly.  They sell "receipt books" for a couple of bucks at the local office supply store.  Well worth saving an additional $1500.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »
heck a hand written one works

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
Take it.  You are going to have to pay it back anyway.  They are taking more than they should anyway, I'll take every penny I can get.  (up to the amount I pay in)