Author Topic: Self defense for teens?  (Read 8239 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Self defense for teens?
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
Despite all the backwards progress I think we're making as a society, every once in a while, something like this happens
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jan/03/collier-judge-upholds-stand-your-ground-defense-ca/?partner=popular

So the attacker is actually subjected to direct and fatal consequences for his attack.....IMHO too often we as a society just accept "boys will be boys" and leave this sort of behavior in some kind of mythical "juvenile" category.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
Re: Self defense for teens?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:56 AM »
Saw this . . . some of the comments posted at the linked site just make me want to go:   :facepalm:   [barf]

(Basically, a number of posters think the kid should have accepted the beat-down out of concern for his assailant. )

I posted a response at the site . . . inspired by some wisdom I've gleaned from this and other gun forums:

I'm appalled at the number of posters who think the kid should have accepted a beat-down from his larger, stronger, older tormenter; there's something basically wrong with people who support and defend bullies, and are outraged at the temerity of a bully's target when he refuses to be a victim.

It's been said that violence begets violence - I've always thought that it's a good thing when the person who INITIATES the violence gets a whole lot more in return than he's comfortable with - which is the case here. The thug's "easy mark" turned out to be a lot more dangerous than he was.

Bravo.

I'll just classify this as a catastrophic failure of the victim selection process.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »
Dylan Nuno’s family and friends have defended the teen, saying repeatedly he was not a bully and in fact transferred from Lely High School to Palmetto Ridge to escape taunting himself.
I thought this statement was amusing.  I appears that witness testimony clearly shows he was a bully and had targeted this particular victim repeatedly.

I find myself very happy with this ruling and that no one seems to be after the kid for possessing a knife.  You don't have to be adult to defend yourself.  You also don't have to be an adult to receive ultimate consequences for acting like a thug.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
Dylan was a bully. His family must have known that. Sooner or later it would have caught up with him. Jorge did society a favor by ending the bullying early.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
Beautiful.  I approve.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:25:05 PM »
We have come down hard on our kids when they went along with cliquey tormenting of some other child to the point they know it is the Wrong Answer and there will be Hell to pay if word of it reaches our ears.  Has only happened once ("I don't talk or play with XYZ because nobody else does.") for sure and have had intimations of it a few other times.

The mirror image of that is that we tell them they have leave to defend themselves if they are tormented.  Sure, try to avoid it, try to inform teachers/adults, but if it comes down to it and those are not effective, light up the sawed-off sociopath.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »
Good riddance.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »
^ Hey, I was going to say that...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »
Bet no one *expletive deleted*s with him again.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
Play adult games? Win adult prizes.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »

I was amused by the attempts to claim the bully that got killed was the "true victim". 
Even more amused by one comment that claimed the kid that defended himself was a "girl" for killing the bully instead of a traditional fight. 

My view? If you choose to attack someone without acceptable provocation, you must accept the consequences. Dying is a legally acceptable member of the set of available consequences. For once, I'd like to see the bully's family say "Yep. My boy was a complete idiot who bit off more than he could chew."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »
I was amused by the attempts to claim the bully that got killed was the "true victim". 
Even more amused by one comment that claimed the kid that defended himself was a "girl" for killing the bully instead of a traditional fight. 

WTF.

"Last time someone F-ed with me? *I stabbed him to death in public.*"

Does that sound girly to anybody?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »

WTF.

"Last time someone F-ed with me? *I stabbed him to death in public.*"

Does that sound girly to anybody?

Yes?

Strings' wife, Spoon, got her nickname from slicing a dude's throat with a Dairy Queen spoon.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
But, but, he was turning his life around..........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
Strings' wife, Spoon, got her nickname from slicing a dude's throat with a Dairy Queen spoon.

Were they all out of sporks?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
Were they all out of sporks?

No, that was me. Dude shook me awake while I fell asleep eating an MRE with a spork in my hand. Didn't mean to stab the dude. Just kinda swung at him.

Dude got his revenge, though. At a bar, weeks later, he drunkenly walks up to me and the lady I was chatting with.  "DUDE, this guy stabbed me in the neck with a SPORK!  Check out the scar!" 

Yea, she was gone before I had time to blink. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
^cock blocked. LOL^
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
No, that was me. Dude shook me awake while I fell asleep eating an MRE with a spork in my hand. Didn't mean to stab the dude. Just kinda swung at him.

Dude got his revenge, though. At a bar, weeks later, he drunkenly walks up to me and the lady I was chatting with.  "DUDE, this guy stabbed me in the neck with a SPORK!  Check out the scar!" 

Yea, she was gone before I had time to blink. 

if she scared that easy she wouldn't have lasted long anyway
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »
Would it be too crass for us to take a collection and send the kid an engraved HI kuhkri?.....   :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
Would it be too crass for us to take a collection and send the kid an engraved HI kuhkri?.....   :cool:
The kid in the OP, or Rev?  :laugh:  I still like Rev's idea of extracting the iron out of blood donated by Marines and forging it into a KA-BAR or other appropriate implement of doom.  >:D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »

I'd chip in a C note for that.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
>Strings' wife, Spoon, got her nickname from slicing a dude's throat with a Dairy Queen spoon.<

You say that like it's a bad thing...

>But, but, he was turning his life around..........<

No, he was being a dweeb, and she gave him what he had coming

>Were they all out of sporks?<

Everyone always wants to bring up the sporks
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Everyone always wants to bring up the sporks

Was it a legitimate conflict of interest?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »
Play adult games? Win adult prizes.

Amen.

Lots of people have been beat to death using only one's hands.  Hell, I found a case in Texas where a woman was pushed in front of a bus in a fight, killing her.  IMHO,  unprovoked physical attacks are lethal force.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »
If you are violently attacked by a physically larger and superior person, they can easily injure or kill you even by accident: there are many bodily organs that are more vulnerable than is commonly thought.