Author Topic: Self defense for teens?  (Read 8240 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Self defense for teens?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
http://media.naplesnews.com/media/static/20111230150108.pdf interesting reading there. Anyone who believes Jorge Saavedra had no right to defend himself is morally defective.
Amen.

Lots of people have been beat to death using only one's hands.  Hell, I found a case in Texas where a woman was pushed in front of a bus in a fight, killing her.  IMHO,  unprovoked physical attacks are lethal force.
Lots of people have been killed by single punches as well. Being punched in the back of the head, where there's a couple of incredibly sensitive spots? Kill the *expletive deleted*ers doing it.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Was it a legitimate conflict of interest?   ;)

Everybody's makin' a fuss.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »
If you are violently attacked by a physically larger and superior person, they can easily injure or kill you even by accident: there are many bodily organs that are more vulnerable than is commonly thought.

As a former paramedic, let me say amen to this.  Or perhaps even worse, leave you with a significant permanent physical or neurological disability.  That bit in the movies about people shrugging off being hit over the head with a whiskey bottle?  Not so much in real life. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
Maybe the bus driver should have some blame in this for not stopping the BS that was taking place on their bus.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 12:56:42 AM »
Maybe the bus driver should have some blame in this for not stopping the BS that was taking place on their bus.
I'd hate to blame him without knowing more about the rules he works under.  Also, where did the fight take place?  Was it right outside the bus or down the street a bit after the bus left?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 01:14:50 AM »
I'd hate to blame him without knowing more about the rules he works under.  Also, where did the fight take place?  Was it right outside the bus or down the street a bit after the bus left?

I'm talking about the throwing of items and *expletive deleted*it that happened on the bus.  If the kids had been hammered in the past over the bullying that was taking place on the bus maybe there wouldn't be a dead kid.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
As a former paramedic, let me say amen to this.  Or perhaps even worse, leave you with a significant permanent physical or neurological disability.  That bit in the movies about people shrugging off being hit over the head with a whiskey bottle?  Not so much in real life.  

I always love the way every martial arts movie must include some guy taking a hard kick to the side of the knee and not just remaining on his feet, but being able to put weight on that leg afterward.

Ever since I dislocated my knee, that has become my favorite target for ending a fight.  No matter how tough you are, you can't chase me while your leg is bent the wrong way, and you'll have years of pain to remind you not to piss me off again.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
Despite all the backwards progress I think we're making as a society, every once in a while, something like this happens
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jan/03/collier-judge-upholds-stand-your-ground-defense-ca/?partner=popular

So the attacker is actually subjected to direct and fatal consequences for his attack.....IMHO too often we as a society just accept "boys will be boys" and leave this sort of behavior in some kind of mythical "juvenile" category.

Got around to reading the PDF.  Damn.  Wow.  So much to say.  I could have been that kid, the defendant, in different circumstances.

The second to last paragraph ("IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED AND ADJUDICATED...") is a win.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
Got around to reading the PDF.  Damn.  Wow.  So much to say.  I could have been that kid, the defendant, in different circumstances.

The second to last paragraph ("IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED AND ADJUDICATED...") is a win.

Me too.  I stabbed a guy in the thigh with a pencil in HS.  I was a new kid and sophmore and trying my ass off to make friends.  I was talking to a girl, who was friends with his GF.  He decided I was after his GF and literally walked up and busted my nose.  Guy easily had 75 pounds and 6" on me. 
After he got unsuspended, I found him at lunch and stuck the pencil about 3" into his thigh.  Told him if he ever touched me again the next pencil went in his throat.
I also didn't get effed with at all after that.  :lol:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »
i knew there was a reason i liked you
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

I drove school bus 30+ years ago and even then all we could do was write a report.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:16 AM »
i knew there was a reason i liked you

>:D

Small-ish school, with heavy emphasis on athletics.  Football coaches also coached track, and I went on the Cross country team.  Turned out that I was pretty fast in those days.   We trained a lot with the football players, and quite often in the winter and spring the cross country team ran a lot of the football team's workouts.  I got to be friends with pretty much the entire offensive line.  If the pencil incident didn't place me off limits to bullies, hanging out with 1,000 pounds of offensive line at lunch sure did.
 :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
you'd have had fun at my high school
i stopped carrying a knife just in time to get a real good stomping
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »
Me too.  I stabbed a guy in the thigh with a pencil in HS.  I was a new kid and sophmore and trying my ass off to make friends.  I was talking to a girl, who was friends with his GF.  He decided I was after his GF and literally walked up and busted my nose.  Guy easily had 75 pounds and 6" on me. 
After he got unsuspended, I found him at lunch and stuck the pencil about 3" into his thigh.  Told him if he ever touched me again the next pencil went in his throat.
I also didn't get effed with at all after that.  :lol:

Marine buddy Jaime and I took his 18 year old stepson and his 5 HS friends to indoor paintball last month for the kid's birthday.  Another older, fatter, former Marine buddy of ours, Mike, joined us.

We three old dudes, plus J's 10 year old daughter and Mike's 13 year old kid, just took those teens apart game after game.  They would go to cover and stick until we flanked and killed them one by one, no shoot and maneuver from them at all, even after we told them what they were doing wrong.

On the way back to town, in between heckling them as Sally's, we were trying to decide if the Marines made us aggressive or if we were aggressive before and thus self-selected for the Marines.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."