Author Topic: Adolphus Busch IV Resigns From NRA After Gun Control Defeat In Senate  (Read 8554 times)

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
He seems to be upset that the NRA would jump on the gun control bandwagon.  I would boycott their beer, but I already couldn't stand them.

"WASHINGTON -- Adolphus Busch IV, heir to the Busch family brewing fortune, resigned his lifetime membership in the National Rifle Association on Thursday, writing in a letter to NRA President David Keene, "I fail to see how the NRA can disregard the overwhelming will of its members who see background checks as reasonable."

Here is the article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/18/adolphus-busch-iv-nra_n_3112750.html

The thing that I don't understand is that gun manufacturers don't appear to be overly represented on the board.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Adolphus Busch IV Resigns From NRA After Gun Control Defeat In Senate
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
Good riddance.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »
Why did they associate themselves with brewers of canned urine in the first place? [barf]

+1 Ron
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:45 PM »
He must think that his own will is overwhelming  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
"I fail to see how the NRA can disregard the overwhelming will of its members who see background checks as reasonable."

Someone that out of touch with reality had no place on the board to begin with. Are we sure he wasn't a Brady campaign plant?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »
The only survey of NRA members was done by the NRA (since they don't give your their member list), so anyone else that says "NRA members overwhelming support X" is FOS.  

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/3/dont-believe-everything-you-read.aspx?s=Member+survey&st=&ps=

NRA's survey results showed that 93% of our members oppose laws requiring gun owners to register with the federal government, and 92% oppose federal laws banning the sale of firearms between private citizens.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:10:30 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:48:42 PM »
WASHINGTON -- Adolphus Busch IV, heir to the Busch family brewing fortune, resigned his lifetime membership in the National Rifle Association on Thursday, writing in a letter to NRA President David Keene, "I fail to see how the NRA can disregard the overwhelming will of its members who see background checks as reasonable

Say what?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
Someone that out of touch with reality had no place on the board to begin with. Are we sure he wasn't a Brady campaign plant?

He wasn't on the board.  He was just resigning his membership.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
Bush 41 resigned his membership because the NRA wouldn't endorse him for President when he ran for re-election . . . although he said that it was because nasty things were said about the BATmen. It wouldn't surprise me if there was something else besides the public reason behind this resignation; citing the lie (whoops, let me put that in caps) CITING THE LIE that most NRA members want more background checks as the reason looks clearly calculated to curry favor with the media and/or the Obama administration.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »

Ah, correction noted. There are probably a lot of people that sign up for life memberships that don't necessarily have anything but their own self-interest at heart. He probably figured a life membership would sell a lot of beer to that guy in the Mayors Hate Guns Bloomberg commercial.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
Regression toward the mean in action.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
A local boy, eh?

I am now even more pleased with my decision to renew my NRA membership.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
I would boycott their beer, but I already couldn't stand them.

They don't own it anymore, they got bought out by InBev a few years ago.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »
Good riddance.

To bad rubbish; as my grandmother used to say.

Russ

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »
Ciao, babe.  Don't let the door hit, etc.  And I don't care if his family doesn't own it any more, until he recants, I will never buy another Annheuser Busch product.  Which mean never, forever, I suppose.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Ciao, babe.  Don't let the door hit, etc.  And I don't care if his family doesn't own it any more, until he recants, I will never buy another Annheuser Busch product.  Which mean never, forever, I suppose.

Like I typed a few posts ago, the Busch family sold the brewing operations to In-Bev a few years ago. So you are not protesting the Busch family by not buying those beers under that brand.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:23:14 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
But you are avoiding bad beer. That's a righteous undertaking in itself.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »
But you are avoiding bad beer. That's a righteous undertaking in itself.

Drinking mass quantities of American light lager = No Hangover.

Drinking mass quantities of micro brew = Wicked Hangover.

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
Drinking mass quantities of American light lager = No Hangover.

Drinking mass quantities of micro brew = Wicked Hangover.

Quality beer at higher ABV doesn't necessarily require mass consumption to achieve a buzz.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 12:29:35 AM »
Even when I was a heavy drinker I would never buy that crud.

This Life Member is against 90 percent of all gun laws.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
Like I typed a few posts ago, the Busch family sold the brewing operations to In-Bev a few years ago. So you are not prosting the Busch family buy not buying those beers under that brand.
Yep, i acknowledged that fact in my post.  I'm sending a message.  Just like: I won't buy a GM product of any sort, even those made prior to the "Government Motors" era.  I wish every beer drinker in this country to do the same, until InBev buys ad time to distance themselves from Li'l Augie.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 09:18:17 AM »
Fortunately, we have several outstanding micro brewers here in W. Michigan.  Don't have to drink the industrialized swill.  One of them, Perrins Brewery is less than  5 miles from my house.  They have a brew pub there that does great bar food.

Life Member here.  I don't get where this 90% figure comes from.  A recent Gallup poll showed that only 4% of respondents concerned about gun control.  I always talk about Unintended Consequences with respect to laws.  That's why emotionalism being used to promote laws is stupid.  If we got background checks and other means of "control" to the extent that leftists/statists wanted, all it would do is drive gun sales into the black market.  I want to give my son a firearm and we need to pay for a background check?  How stupid is that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Like I typed a few posts ago, the Busch family sold the brewing operations to In-Bev a few years ago. So you are not prosting the Busch family buy not buying those beers under that brand.
So . . . before dissing the NRA, an American institution since 1871, the Busch family sold an iconic beer brand to FOREIGN interests. And they did it before Obama's higher tax rates phased in.

To borrow words from BHO - " . . . That's unpatriotic."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 03:21:06 PM »
So . . . before dissing the NRA, an American institution since 1871, the Busch family sold an iconic beer brand to FOREIGN interests. And they did it before Obama's higher tax rates phased in.

To borrow words from BHO - " . . . That's unpatriotic."

Most traditional American brewery groups are owned by foreign interests.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
Quality beer at higher ABV doesn't necessarily require mass consumption to achieve a buzz.

In Iowa cheap American beer is 5-6% and Microbrews are 5-6%.

I don't like the taste of many higher alcohol content beers, many are like licking the inside of a burned out coffee pot full of cigarette butts or directly chewing on a hop leaf covered in burnt grains.

Uranus is a gas giant.