Author Topic: father jailed over 5 cents  (Read 6636 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: father jailed over 5 cents
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »
Not as many as you'd think, I'd wager.  The old sarcastic response to a speeding ticket of "I'm glad all the real crimes have been solved if you're worried about giving me a ticket," isn't really valid.  That is to say, the lack of investigation is usually independent of what the beat cops are spending their time on. 

Depending on the jurisdiction, beat cops don't do much in the way of investigation except for interviews and evidence gathering for minor crimes when initially responding to a complaint.  Once they pass the case on to the detectives, it becomes the job of Investigations to throw it into a stack on their desk and either ignore or pursue if there is already lots of evidence.  Every so often a uniform will pursue something a little further (especially if it is time sensitive) but their real job is not to play CSI and gumshoe.  If something high priority does pop up, police on other calls will drop what they are doing and respond immediately.

That said, it seems to me that there are better ways to solve this problem than arrest and criminal prosecution.

Around here, the same guys do everything.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Schadenfreude.

But Green !!!!   Those that think they are better then us think that they can just do as they please.   To me, this is no different then pulling into a gas station and taking a nickels worth of gas.  It's still theft, no matter the amount.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That X 11 billionty.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the man. At least in my state, schools are the main instrument that the left uses for armed robbery of the property owners.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
Around here, the same guys do everything.
And probably not so well.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
And probably not so well.

Oh, they're pretty good at writing traffic tickets and investigating barking dogs  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
Oh, they're pretty good at writing traffic tickets and investigating barking dogs  =D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
AC come DC go
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
That X 11 billionty.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the man. At least in my state, schools are the main instrument that the left uses for armed robbery of the property owners.

that's the whole reason i'm ticked off.    why stop with the 5 cent offenders when they rape us for the big bucks?  they just redid our school cafe, why?  so that they could have booths instead of the portable tables and two big screens.  it cost over a million dollars.......
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:20:53 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
I never considered it stealing.  I needed a charge and there it was.

I never robbed a citizen, or took a man's watch.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »
Is the school the one his kid goes to? Then I see nothing wrong with him having it plugged in. He does pay the school for his son to go there and use the facilities. Can they now arrest teachers and students for plugging in a phone charger into the outlets? Where is it written saying that you can't use them?
I don't see the gas station example as being the same. Everybody knows you have to pay for the gas, that is the whole point of the gas station and they are set up to receive payment for the gas.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 07:30:02 PM »
Is the school the one his kid goes to? Then I see nothing wrong with him having it plugged in. He does pay the school for his son to go there and use the facilities. Can they now arrest teachers and students for plugging in a phone charger into the outlets? Where is it written saying that you can't use them?
I don't see the gas station example as being the same. Everybody knows you have to pay for the gas, that is the whole point of the gas station and they are set up to receive payment for the gas.

Cell phone chargers:  Inside, they are implied consent for employees and customers (students and visitors).  Absent explicit rules, power outlets are implied consent just like a drinking fountain is implied consent to all those who come by and see it.

Outside outlets are for groundspeople to plug in a weedwhacker or various tools to support the facility.  They aren't there for vagabonds to plug in their laptops and cell phones, any more than they are there for parked cars to charge.  Absent a sign indicating that a particular parking stall is intended for electric vehicle charging, none of the stalls are intended as such.

How would you feel if some guy parked on the street in front of your house, walked up to one of your strings of Christmas lights, plugged his car into the socket at the end of the string, and started charging his car off your power system?

Think about it:  You're talking about enough electricity to convert into 100+ horsepower, to move a vehicle.  That's orders of magnitude more current (i.e. $$$) than a cell phone charger.  Would you plug into the side of Walmart when visiting there?  How about stopping at Chevron... plugging your car in at the gas station and not buying any gas?  You're gonna start spinning that meter on the side of the building pretty dramatically.

Then, there's the circuit design considerations.  How many amps does a car charger draw at 120v?  I'd guess it is somewhere around 10-15 amps.  If the circuit has multiple outlets and it's only designed for conventional outdoor groundskeeping electrical purposes, then it's not intended to have a car plus additional load.  Let's say another guy comes along, equally inconsiderate and oblivious, and plugs in HIS car, too.  Now you've popped the breaker.  Now the groundskeeper has to stop working, figure out why the electricity has shut off, deal with a couple of obliviots that have popped his breaker, correct teh stoopidz, and turn the breaker back on.

You want to own an electric vehicle?  Great.  Go for it.  Knock yourself out.

But don't start stealing electricity from everyone else in the process, thinking you are somehow going to get "free gas" out of the deal.  Or start ruining people's days by popping breakers, running 100ft extension cords in places that can't handle that long of a run, or other irresponsible bullscat.

Most buildings are NOT designed to handle car charging.

Doing what this guy is doing, is on par with seeing the school groundskeeper out on the riding lawnmower, wandering into his maintenance shed and taking one of his 5 gallon jerry cans of gas.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 08:54:55 PM »
Yeah, but call the cops and try to get them to arrest the guy for using your power.  I bet the best they will do is tell the guy to leave.  Which is exactly what these cops should have done to this guy.

Also, at your house, there is the trespass issue that could also be applied.  Your example might work better if you were talking about WalMart or a big Gardening store somewhere.  I still doubt the guy is arrested.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
Yeah, but call the cops and try to get them to arrest the guy for using your power.  I bet the best they will do is tell the guy to leave.  ....

Around here they will just tell you "it is a civil matter"  ;/   :facepalm:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
Around here they will just tell you "it is a civil matter"  ;/   :facepalm:

If there's not a dead body, and there are no assets to seize, that's all they do here.  But at least they are usually polite about it, and also they don't go around shooting dogs and beating homeless people to death.
"It's good, though..."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 07:23:32 AM »
My BS-O-Meter says there is more to the story.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was a fit of Righteous Indignation involved.

Brad

Yes indeed.  The article I first saw it in had a few more tidbits:
1.  He was confrontational* with the officer
2.  It turned out that he had been banned from the school tennis courts for being confrontational*

*IE being an ass.

Then, there's the circuit design considerations.  How many amps does a car charger draw at 120v?[/url]

12A typically. 

If the circuit has multiple outlets and it's only designed for conventional outdoor groundskeeping electrical purposes, then it's not intended to have a car plus additional load

Ever see the power demands of electrical 'groundskeeping' equipment?  Besides, standard commercial wiring requirements is 12 gauge wires, 20A breaker for standard outlets.  A single EV will be pulling slightly over half the load it's capable of, and if somebody plugs in a 2nd electric car(or something like a hot plate or hairdryer) it'll pop the breaker. 

Let's say another guy comes along, equally inconsiderate and oblivious, and plugs in HIS car, too.  Now you've popped the breaker.  Now the groundskeeper has to stop working, figure out why the electricity has shut off, deal with a couple of obliviots that have popped his breaker, correct teh stoopidz, and turn the breaker back on.

1.  I kind of hate 'what ifs' like this because, well, I get them ALL THE TIME from the anti-gunners.  'What if the CCW'er is shot by responding cops'?  'What if CCWers all end up shooting each other?', etc... 
2.  Given that this happened on the weekend and that the staff wasn't there I figure it'd mostly be a pain when somebody actually tried to use the outlets.  If it became a hassle either install a self-reseting breaker or put some sort of secure cover on(like they often have on outside water taps).

But don't start stealing electricity from everyone else in the process, thinking you are somehow going to get "free gas" out of the deal.  Or start ruining people's days by popping breakers, running 100ft extension cords in places that can't handle that long of a run, or other irresponsible bullscat.

I'll agree here; I just disagree with the technicalities above.

Most buildings are NOT designed to handle car charging.

They don't need to be in order to handle 'cripple charging' like this guy was doing.  The capacity to charge at this low of a rate is more for 'I need another 3 miles to get home!!!', which would take ~40 minutes.  Sometimes they'll charge just to maintain overhead - sometimes you might need that extra mile or so.

Doing what this guy is doing, is on par with seeing the school groundskeeper out on the riding lawnmower, wandering into his maintenance shed and taking one of his 5 gallon jerry cans of gas.

Not by a couple orders of magnitude...