Author Topic: father jailed over 5 cents  (Read 6654 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
father jailed over 5 cents
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/04/21756802-theft-of-power-lands-electric-car-driver-in-jail?lite

the father plugs in his electric car at the school, and is charged with "theft of power".

if 5 cents worth of power can land you in jail, how come all the other wasted tax moneys hasn't resulted in more convictions?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: father jailed over 5 cents
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Schadenfreude.

But Green !!!!   Those that think they are better then us think that they can just do as they please.   To me, this is no different then pulling into a gas station and taking a nickels worth of gas.  It's still theft, no matter the amount.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
Well, it was theft of power.  He was recharging the battery on his car at the public's expense.  It would be the same thing if I took my truck to the county shop's little gas pump and filled up my tank because they forgot to lock it.

It was handled in a ridiculous fashion though, Jail is overkill. 

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
they should put a meter on the drinking fountains!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
Well, two things. If a dozen people do it, and they do it every day of every week they're at work then yeah it does add up to quite a bit. And it's often a safety issue, running extension cords from your car to the wall outlet etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
So a charge resulted in a charge?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »
So a charge resulted in a charge?   =|

Which I'm guessing triggered a bit of a shock...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
Which I'm guessing triggered a bit of a shock...

I suppose that he will learn to conduct himself differently in the future.

Did he have to go before a circuit court judge  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
My BS-O-Meter says there is more to the story.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was a fit of Righteous Indignation involved.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »
Well, two things. If a dozen people do it, and they do it every day of every week they're at work then yeah it does add up to quite a bit. And it's often a safety issue, running extension cords from your car to the wall outlet etc.

perhaps it was a daily ritual for the dad?  I don't know, but if they took the money used to prosecute him and invested it in quarter operated electric meters........problem solved, and a new source of revenue.

so, what about the kids who plug in their ipods at school.  or laptop users at an airport?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
I suppose that he will learn to conduct himself differently in the future.

Did he have to go before a circuit court judge  ???

I wonder if he resisted arrest?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »
I wonder if he resisted arrest?

And then Tasered ?  :lol:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »
And then Tasered ?  :lol:

Given his capacity for judgement as exhibited here, I don't think anyone should be getting all amped up over this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
Watt's the potential punishment for violating Ohm's Law ?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »
Watt's the potential punishment for violating Ohm's Law ?

The current penalty depends on the gauge of the infraction.
--Lysander Spooner

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 09:26:43 PM »
This guy should be inducted into the Worlds Greenest Petty Thieves.
My BS-O-Meter says there is more to the story.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was a fit of Righteous Indignation involved.
He may have been a little wired when he dealt with the cop.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
The current penalty depends on the gauge of the infraction.

They should give him a chance to rectify the situation.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
They should give him a chance to rectify the situation.

Topics like this can be very polarizing.  Lots of positives and negatives to both sides of the argument.  I gauss it's best that his efforts to short the system were brought to an end.  I think the penalty is too steep, though.  I would suggest grounding him.
--Lysander Spooner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 10:54:37 PM »
Are we saying that the prosecutor was guilty of overcharging?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »
He must have been a little amped up to press this charge.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
Not enough info.  Was the outlet in the parking lot, or was it on the building and he ran a long extension cord?   If in the parking lot, was there a little sign saying not for public use?
"It's good, though..."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 05:48:37 AM »
i certainly don't want public funds to be powering all of georgia but, if i were his attorney, i would use the argument that consent is implied on public grounds.  would he have to ask permission to use the bathroom?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 08:12:16 AM »
How many burglaries and realmpettynthefts went in investigated because these cops were busy with this crap?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »
How many burglaries and realmpettynthefts went in investigated because these cops were busy with this crap?

It's the inverse Rooster Cogburn rule  ;)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »
Not as many as you'd think, I'd wager.  The old sarcastic response to a speeding ticket of "I'm glad all the real crimes have been solved if you're worried about giving me a ticket," isn't really valid.  That is to say, the lack of investigation is usually independent of what the beat cops are spending their time on. 

Depending on the jurisdiction, beat cops don't do much in the way of investigation except for interviews and evidence gathering for minor crimes when initially responding to a complaint.  Once they pass the case on to the detectives, it becomes the job of Investigations to throw it into a stack on their desk and either ignore or pursue if there is already lots of evidence.  Every so often a uniform will pursue something a little further (especially if it is time sensitive) but their real job is not to play CSI and gumshoe.  If something high priority does pop up, police on other calls will drop what they are doing and respond immediately.

That said, it seems to me that there are better ways to solve this problem than arrest and criminal prosecution.