Author Topic: Bad news: feds raid Stag Arms over unserialized lowers  (Read 8294 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Bad news: feds raid Stag Arms over unserialized lowers
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
I thought I heard the Cav Arms thing amounted to using a 3rd party to make the plastic receivers in 2 halves then allowing the 3rd party to have both halves of the mold and receivers at the same time.  The latter was something I think they were repeatedly told not to do.  I am not sure how many warnings or how firm the warnings were, but supposedly they were aware of the problem. 

The problem here with Stag about the receivers could almost be something to manufacturing guys were doing without others in the know, but hard to say.  I don't know how big their operation is.

Is the problem really anything more than complete procedural BS?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 10:58:57 PM »
Stag Arms is a major manufacturer of AR-15s, and their guns have an excellent reputation. I very much doubt that they are (were) fooling around with selling unserialized lowers.

It's interesting how many firearms-related businesses are located on John Downey Drive. That's also the home of Metalform (the magazine maker), and I think a couple more similar companies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 01:03:20 AM »

It's interesting how many firearms-related businesses are located on John Downey Drive. That's also the home of Metalform (the magazine maker), and I think a couple more similar companies.
Its weird how stuff like that works out sometimes. Where I lived in my pre-divorce house, Bartlein Barrels was on the same street, a 5 minute walk away, Krieger barrels was in the next town over, a 5 minute drive away. The Krieger and Criterion High Power Teams usually shot at our club's matches...lots of friendly trash talk between the teams, all top notch shooters.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
Stag Arms is a major manufacturer of AR-15s, and their guns have an excellent reputation. I very much doubt that they are (were) fooling around with selling unserialized lowers.

IIRC Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms and one of the custom gun builders are all located really close to each other in of all places here in Illinois.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 06:25:43 PM »
IIRC Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms and one of the custom gun builders are all located really close to each other in of all places here in Illinois.

When your business requires certain specialized skills, it's a good idea to locate where such skilled labor already is.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:24 PM »
The DOJ does maintain that a shoelace possession can be prosecuted as possession of automatic weaponry.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »
Maybe one day we'll have a government that prefers to focus on crimes that are malum in se instead of malum prohibitum.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 10:59:11 AM »
Maybe one day we'll have a government that prefers to focus on crimes that are malum in se instead of malum prohibitum.

Nabbing murderers is dangerous, time consuming, and costly.  Nabbing regulatory rule breakers is danger-free, easy, and can make the enforcers a lot of money.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
Nabbing murderers is dangerous, time consuming, and costly.  Nabbing regulatory rule breakers is danger-free, easy, and can make the enforcers a lot of money.

This.  Eloquently, if depressingly, put.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 09:26:46 PM »
Is the problem really anything more than complete procedural BS?
It was procedural BS that was a core part of being licensed as a firearms manufacturer.  Compliance is a big deal.  Yeah, it would be great to get rid of those regulations, but that is not the world we live in.  (Referring to Cav Arms not Stag. 

My company has had issues before with FDA and EPA, but we can't afford to screw around with regulations when the govt auditors get involved.  I hear the BATFE is worse than most others so that makes it even more important to be careful.

I wasn't clear on what exactly triggered laying down the hammer on Stag.  It sounds like they had an issue flagged in an audit and didn't fix it?  Not sure.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 09:51:54 PM »
It was procedural BS that was a core part of being licensed as a firearms manufacturer.  Compliance is a big deal.  Yeah, it would be great to get rid of those regulations, but that is not the world we live in.  (Referring to Cav Arms not Stag. 

My company has had issues before with FDA and EPA, but we can't afford to screw around with regulations when the govt auditors get involved.  I hear the BATFE is worse than most others so that makes it even more important to be careful.

I wasn't clear on what exactly triggered laying down the hammer on Stag.  It sounds like they had an issue flagged in an audit and didn't fix it?  Not sure.

I understand it's that state of things,  but it doesn't suck any less because of that. 

Just makes me mad is all. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 10:37:58 PM »
Agreed.  It is odd having a state environmental person auditing you who knows nothing about your process and nothing about how it works, but it just making sure you can show you are complying with all the regulations.  Those guys are probably smart as far as Govt regulators go. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 12:22:38 AM »
From my understanding the BATFEIO-EIO can and does change the rules without notice or warning.  Often from one agent to the next.   Agent A says do X.  A year later Agent B comes in and you get in trouble for doing X. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 01:07:07 AM »
While not likely applicable here the ATF also has the bad habit of drafting or changing rules after they arrest, seize, or investigate someone specifically to screw one person over. The requirement that firearm serial numbers require at least one number is an example.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi