Author Topic: Getting government out of marriage  (Read 5064 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Getting government out of marriage
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »
As several have touched upon, including myself, there actually are legal issues to be resolved beforehand.  Inheritance, acquisition and division of property, IRS issues, etc, etc.

I think most of these elements are addressed in the legal lingo of "pre-nup" agreements already, though... and in existing case law on "palimony."  It should not be too difficult to include these issues in a standardized checklist-like form, as much as I hate "forms."

Terry

Most religions had rules regarding all that prior the lawyers taking over....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
As several have touched upon, including myself, there actually are legal issues to be resolved beforehand.  Inheritance, acquisition and division of property, IRS issues, etc, etc.

I think most of these elements are addressed in the legal lingo of "pre-nup" agreements already, though... and in existing case law on "palimony."  It should not be too difficult to include these issues in a standardized checklist-like form, as much as I hate "forms."

Terry

Aren't most of those things why we have lawyers in the first place?

Hell, I'm for getting rid of A LOT of government involvement in stuff that should be handled by private contracts and personal documents. One that really annoys me is next of kin, which is a flat mess. Seriously, it should be thrown out the window and you should just have to name someone on your drivers license or some such, "This is the person you contact if I die and they handle all that crap."
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »
I've got a note in my wallet regarding notifications.  I also have an "In Case Of Emergency" notice prominent on my living room wall.  You can't miss it, and it contains other important information.   The envelope stuck in it contains specific information/instructions for my sons.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:32:37 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »
One that really annoys me is next of kin, which is a flat mess. Seriously, it should be thrown out the window and you should just have to name someone on your drivers license or some such, "This is the person you contact if I die and they handle all that crap."

TX has a space on the DL/ID application now for two emergency contacts.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
I've got a note in my wallet regarding notifications.  I also have an "In Case Of Emergency" notice prominent on my living room wall.  You can't miss it, and it contains other important information.   The envelope stuck in it contains specific information/instructions for my sons.

Terry

I contemplate doing that.  What with my health and all that.  All's well, for the moment. but I'm a bad PSA from that changing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
Those of us who work in healthcare will absolutely bless you if you have laid out your wishes in writing and there is a live person with authority for your treatment that we can talk to.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 10:33:03 PM »
Those of us who work in healthcare will absolutely bless you if you have laid out your wishes in writing and there is a live person with authority for your treatment that we can talk to.

Ok.  I need a wallet card that says "FIX ME!  Not even just the new stuff!  Seek throughout my body and ye shall find many challenges to your so called health care; accept them all if you think you've got what it takes."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
Aren't most of those things why we have lawyers in the first place?

Hell, I'm for getting rid of A LOT of government involvement in stuff that should be handled by private contracts and personal documents. One that really annoys me is next of kin, which is a flat mess. Seriously, it should be thrown out the window and you should just have to name someone on your drivers license or some such, "This is the person you contact if I die and they handle all that crap."
I think the lawyers like getting involved on the end of the marriage, not the beginning.   =D

IMO, as long as there is religious freedom, I don't care what any one church or denomination comes up with for rules.  One can always find someone to perform a ceremony.  At that point we are getting back to the issue of people trying to use the courts to tell other people what to do. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
I think the lawyers like getting involved on the end of the marriage, not the beginning.   =D

IMO, as long as there is religious freedom, I don't care what any one church or denomination comes up with for rules.  One can always find someone to perform a ceremony.  At that point we are getting back to the issue of people trying to use the courts to tell other people what to do. 

Thanks to the civil rights act, they'll continue to chip away at the rights of private organizations to discriminate. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »

When it comes to billable hours, I'm pretty sure they'd enjoy getting in on the beginning as much as they like being on the end. Hell, they probably wouldn't mind a way to get in at the middle as well.  ;)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »
Yeah, mandatory prenuptial agreements with co-sign from the person performing the ceremony and as well as witnesses.   =D

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
What ceremony?

"Sign here."

Of course a lot of folks (usually meaning "girls") want the church and the white dress and the Mendelssohn and tin cans tied to the bumper.

But even with all that, there's still that legal instrument, the certificate of marriage, to sign after the ceremonial pronouncement.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 03:21:30 PM »
Thanks to the civil rights act, they'll continue to chip away at the rights of private organizations to discriminate.  

True dat.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 08:24:53 PM »
"I guess things were simpler when women were just chattel."
--Vladislaw Borischnev

"Leonard, you ought to be glad you can't keep a woman.  They're a handful."
--Sheldon Cooper