Author Topic: Young evangelicals speak out  (Read 5914 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Young evangelicals speak out
« on: November 01, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/us/young-evangelicals-politics-midterms.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Instead of hearing from the old white male evangelicals, the NYT solicited input from young evangelicals.  I found their comments an interesting perspective to hear, since I have virtually no contact with young evangelicals in my social or work circles.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Young evangelicals speak out
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:50:06 AM »
I would venture to guess that the sampling is not representative. (Seeing as the sample population is "Young, Evangelical, New York Times readers")
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
I should also note the purpose of this piece- it is not about understanding conservative evangelicals, but using the young people to denounce how hateful the "old, white, male" evangelicals truly are.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
Not one reference to an actual bible verse or doctrine.

Mostly emoting and bam! Identity politics.

Evangelicism has been converged into the social justice movement. It’s a dead man walking, it just doesn’t know it yet.

Jesus is my nicest BFF is not Christianity.

Those brothers and sisters have been led astray.

It certainly isn’t a Christian thing to do voting for Hillary, Molechs chosen one.

I think a good case can be made for Christians not voting at all but I haven’t made that leap. I have few hero’s but one that I do have is Roger Williams.

Democracy by its very nature tempts you to violate your conscience.

I understand the confusion on the left at the old guard evangelical support of Trump. There was definitely a compromising of principles and plowing forward despite the cognitive dissonance.

It’s hard to escape “the ends justify the means” and “lesser of two evils” formulations in democratic elections.

“He doesn’t hate me and my religion” was probably a huge motive.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »
I should also note the purpose of this piece- it is not about understanding conservative evangelicals, but using the young people to denounce how hateful the "old, white, male" evangelicals truly are.

One impression that I formed from the article is that for these young people, evangelical does not necessarily equal conservative.  This probably causes heartburn in the people who believe that one infers the other.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
One impression that I formed from the article is that for these young people, evangelical does not necessarily equal conservative.  This probably causes heartburn in the people who believe that one infers the other.

The last Christian woman I spent considerable time with as we were determining our future compatibility was a typical evangelical.

The influence of all facets of progressivism on her was overwhelming.

The evangelical church I was attending for a spell (years actually) often had messages that were inspired by current events. I always had a sinking feeling like I was watching a Hegelian dialectic of thesis, anti-thesis, synthesis taking place in real time. It wasn’t overt apostasy but a genuine attempt to be nice and/or tolerant at the expense of the text.

Cthulhu always swims to the left.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:26:27 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
There are loads of SJW young evangelicals.  I was friends with a man in college (now missionary) who went off condemning Mrs. Trump on facebook about her husband's immigration policies.

"Christianity Today" magazine is chock full of SJW bull$%& and is now unreadable for me.  The article "God Loves my Fat Body" is my favorite example.  Yeah, I bet God loves how you wheeze when you climb a flight of stairs too.  And your diabetes.  They also periodically publish hand wringing anti-gun rubbish.

Wheaton College now has homosexual group.

On the other hand... during Trump's election one of our local church's sign said "God told Nehemiah to build a wall."   >:D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 01:32:16 PM »
Not this stuff again. "Evangelicalism" is a very broad term, and few people know what it means, or where it comes from. Yes, of course, the toxic effects of current-day American culture have dumbed down and degraded young people within the Evangelical demographic, as it has dumbed down and degraded every other group, including this internet forum. I mean, good thing no Catholics have fallen short of their historic doctrines and values, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
I have friends who live across town from me and who attend the Evangelical Free Church that's conveniently directly across the street from their house. They have six kids, ranging in age from 25 to 7. The two oldest daughters are, I think about 22 and 19. The husband mentioned to me just the other day that they hadn't given much thought to letting the kids attend the local public high school. It has a good [academic] reputation, and gets kids into good colleges.

Then came the day one of the daughters came home and said something to the effect of, "There's nothing wrong with abortion." From that point on, the parents began paying a lot more attention to what their children were being taught brainwashed to believe.

The two youngest -- ages 12 and 7 -- are being home schooled.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
One person's teaching is another person's brainwashing is another person's religious instruction.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
One person's teaching is another person's brainwashing is another person's religious instruction.

I completely agree that the teachers in the public school are mostly providing religious training. Well said.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 02:49:25 PM »
Evangelicalism (as difficult to pin down as that may be) is fad ridden.  Right now, "wokeness" is one of the big new things.  One, I think, with a huge potential for damage.

There's a couple books from this past decade, Ross Douthat's Bad Religion: How We Became A Nation of Heretics, and Darryl Hart's From Billy Graham to Sarah Palin: Evangelicals and the Betrayal of American Conservatism, that I found depressing and difficult to get through.  It's depressing because I remember a lot of what these authors write about.  Page after page of the latest big thing to hit American Christianity, that became last year's big thing, then forgotten.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »
The typical school day at a madrassa in Algeria: teaching, brainwashing or religious instruction?

Sunday school at Our Savior Catholic church: teaching, brainwashing or religious instruction?

Private school at the White Aryans Are The Best compound: teaching, brainwashing or religious instruction?

I suspect that depending on your cultural background and beliefs, the answers will vary.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
I have friends who live across town from me and who attend the Evangelical Free Church that's conveniently directly across the street from their house. They have six kids, ranging in age from 25 to 7. The two oldest daughters are, I think about 22 and 19. The husband mentioned to me just the other day that they hadn't given much thought to letting the kids attend the local public high school. It has a good [academic] reputation, and gets kids into good colleges.

Then came the day one of the daughters came home and said something to the effect of, "There's nothing wrong with abortion." From that point on, the parents began paying a lot more attention to what their children were being taught brainwashed to believe.

The two youngest -- ages 12 and 7 -- are being home schooled.

My daughter's kids (4 of them) are age 1 to 8.  They're home schooling.  I thoroughly approve of what they're doing.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
I thought Fistful made an interesting point.  I wonder if there is a commonly accepted definition of evangelical.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
I thought Fistful made an interesting point.  I wonder if there is a commonly accepted definition of evangelical.

On that note, I saw that one of the "young evangelicals" indicated he went to a Pentecostal church and I had always understood Pentecostals to be a separate category from Evangelicals.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »

Not really, and the lack of such has been noted a bunch "in house".

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
My daughter has become a Bernie-Bro.  She's very much a evangelical SJW.  Fortunately, she runs an orphanage in Kumasi, Ghana, and is not registered to vote in the US (at least in Illinois, I checked as part of one of the practices during Election Judge training.)

And yes, the church she is sponsored by definitely leans left.  In fact, Wheaton used to be a solidly conservative R city, but last 10+ years have seen the rise of the SJW Evangelicals and other Christians to the point where it's not as solid as it used to be.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 12:26:58 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »
On that note, I saw that one of the "young evangelicals" indicated he went to a Pentecostal church and I had always understood Pentecostals to be a separate category from Evangelicals.

From the perspective of I like to learn something every day, and I had not the faintest idea about this, I found this link that explains it in terms simple enough for me to understand:

http://www.bible-teaching-about.com/evangelicalandpentecostal.html

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »
I'll just leave this here.

fair-methodist" border="0

That guy was at our county fair and the shirt was awful enough that I grabbed a picture.  I didn't know that the Methodists were far left radicals.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
To my great shame, my daughter has become a Bernie-Bro.  She's very much a evangelical SJW.  Fortunately, she runs an orphanage in Kumasi, Ghana, and is not registered to vote in the US (at least in Illinois, I checked as part of one of the practices during Election Judge training.)

I am assuming your daughter knows Bernie supports abortion to six months gestation?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »
That guy was at our county fair and the shirt was awful enough that I grabbed a picture.  I didn't know that the Methodists were far left radicals.

"nonproliferation of weapons migrants and refugees"

I can support 2/3 of that.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »
David French doesn't always know what he's talking about, but in areas of faith he tends to do pretty well.
In reality, “young Evangelicals” may not ultimately be Evangelicals at all. They might more accurately be defined as young people from an Evangelical background who are growing in their own faith. And as they grow, they often face the twin temptations their parents faced: the temptation of faith and the temptation of tribe.

Each generation of young Christians has to face the reality that biblical teaching conflicts decisively with contemporary secular morality. That conflict is often especially acute in the area of sexual morality. Moreover, the price of social acceptance is often theological compromise. Yes, people in good faith reach contrary positions on the authority and meaning of individual scriptures, but one would have to be willfully blind to deny the persistent pressure toward “inclusivity” and the irrebuttable presumption of moral superiority inherent to secular progressive ethics.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »

This is probably an oversimplification, but any denomination with "United" in its name is going to be mostly leftist SJW heresy.
"It's good, though..."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »
This is probably an oversimplification, but any denomination with "United" in its name is going to be mostly leftist SJW heresy.

You're not wrong,  the other big source of "christian" (removed, not polite)  is the UCC.  They've never met an SJW thing they didn't love.  never thought of the common "united" part, but it works.

"nonproliferation of weapons migrants and refugees"

I can support 2/3 of that.

Right?  hahah.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.