Author Topic: CA High Speed Rail Again  (Read 3537 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: CA High Speed Rail Again
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
Do you really want to ride a true high speed rail over track laid down by the lowest bidder in California?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2019, 03:18:04 AM »
Do you really want to ride a true high speed rail over track laid down by the lowest bidder in California?

No but I want movie stars and the attendees of the next Climate Change Conference to ride it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2019, 07:56:23 AM »
No but I want movie stars and the attendees of the next Climate Change Conference to ride it.

Right beside all the politicians and movers and shakers that made it happen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
Who are they going to blame when a high speed train malfunctions and ends up starting a wildfire that kills more people than Cecil B DeMille?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2019, 08:13:26 AM »
Who are they going to blame when a high speed train malfunctions and ends up starting a wildfire that kills more people than Cecil B DeMille?

Well duh, Trump of course.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
This could be an interesting comparison: Texas apparently has a high speed rail in the works running from Houston to Dallas.

https://archinect.com/news/article/150175137/planning-for-texas-central-high-speed-rail-continues-apace
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »
Ding ding ding!

Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis"?   :lol:
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2019, 09:32:15 AM »
This could be an interesting comparison: Texas apparently has a high speed rail in the works running from Houston to Dallas.

https://archinect.com/news/article/150175137/planning-for-texas-central-high-speed-rail-continues-apace

OMG Texkansen.

I like how they said "upgraded climate control for the extreme heat". It's not for the extreme heat; it gets just as hot in parts of Japan. It's because the AC on those things sucks. I imagine some Texan did a test ride and said "sweet trains, but can you put AC in them? Japanese will put up with climate control that would be considered a public health hazard in the US.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2019, 10:10:23 AM »

I thought I heard mention of that a while back, I didn't know they were close to trying to build it.  

If the whole thing is elevated like this picture, it may actually work without interfering so much with the areas it passes through.  Back in the 80's/90's the proposal was not like that and would have been a barrier 100's of miles long with a few overpasses.  I am also wondering how much property they are trying to eminent domain to build it.  Being elevated like that, they might be able to do it like a pipeline right of way.  Deer stands in view of the passengers would be neat. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2019, 11:09:33 AM »
The Seattle area badly needs another airport.  Sea-Tac is close to being maxed out.  The Legislature is studying the issue with a goal towards having a new airport ready to receive passengers by 2040 (!).  One of the possibilities being looked at is the Moses Lake airport, a former SAC bomber base 180 miles east of Seattle.  In order to transport passengers from the west side of Washington to the airport, a high speed passenger train tunneling through the Cascades (!) is being considered.  I am pretty sure that the billions of dollars this will cost will remove Moses Lake from the list of airport candidates.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »
Judy Garland in "Meet Me in St. Louis"?   :lol:

In the song it's actually clang clang clang. I took some liberties to make the joke.

I'll probably be impeached for that.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2019, 06:48:37 PM »
In the song it's actually clang clang clang. I took some liberties to make the joke.

I'll probably be impeached for that.

Yes, "Ding! ding! ding!" went the bell.  I've had that stupid song stuck in my head all week.   :lol:
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2019, 09:43:59 PM »
. . . I am pretty sure that the billions of dollars this will cost will remove Moses Lake from the list of airport candidates.
Not necessarily - public works projects are perhaps the ideal way of converting public funds into private profits.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
Yes, "Ding! ding! ding!" went the bell.  I've had that stupid song stuck in my head all week.   :lol:

Me too, it's a small world.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.