Author Topic: Alternator noise (not stereo related)?  (Read 7292 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Alternator noise (not stereo related)?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 07:51:58 AM »
It's more than that from the dealer, about $400 I think.

Mike, that's a good idea about buying, but not using the unit from Autozone.  I may just buy the one and pack it for the trip.  Then order the one from the 'net when I get back.

Chris

That's me, always thinking outside the armature!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »
I may pop the seal off and repack the grease.  I've done this with bike related sealed bearings when I couldn't easily get replacements.

Won't work, not on an alternator anyway.  High speed and high bearing load.  Once the bearing begins to go, that's it.  Unlike the bearings on your bike where grease can restore an iffy bearing to okay operation, greasing the alternator bearing might make the noise slightly less noticeable but it won't delay the eventual failure.  Replace it.

One thing to try that will only take a second and you can do it as you get ready to pull the alternator.  Remove the belt and crank the engine.  Listen to everything and make sure the sound isn't coming from somewhere besides the accessory drive.  Yes, the computer will do all kinds of complaining but it will be okay for the minute or two this will take.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25:18 AM »
One thing to try that will only take a second and you can do it as you get ready to pull the alternator.  Remove the belt and crank the engine.  Listen to everything and make sure the sound isn't coming from somewhere besides the accessory drive.  Yes, the computer will do all kinds of complaining but it will be okay for the minute or two this will take.

Brad

The only problem with that is the noise is not constant.  It may or may not make the noise at startup, it might take 30 seconds to start making the noise, or I might drive it for a few minutes before it starts.  Once it starts, it can go for half an hour or 5 seconds.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »
Ok, took the alternator to Autozone.  It functions fine, but the guy spun it by hand and agreed a bearing was going bad.  I bought a Duralast replacement, but before I install it, do any of you have any experience with Duralast alternators?  I've heard some bad things, but I don't have many options other than this one or an OEM unit for twice the price.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 01:51:31 PM »
Seem to be fine.  I've used both their alternators and starters.  Haven't had any trouble.  Lifetime replacement so why worry?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 02:21:05 PM »
Lifetime replacement so why worry?
Brad

My only concern is a failure in the middle of a trip or in an area without an Autozone.  Otherwise, no problem.

Chirs

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
Because Autozone is only a couple miles away, I went back and had them run their test on the remanufactured unit.  It passed, so I installed it.  So far, so good.  No noise and no idiot lights.  I'll return the core after I've driven for a few days.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
A friend of mine calls them Dontalast...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »
Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of middle ground with alternators.  You either have cheap rebuilt units or OEM replacements at over twice the price. 

Chris

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »
If you're really concerned with the quality of the re-manufactured unit you just bought, throw the old one with a set of tools in the trunk until you get back from the trip.

Even if Mike is right about the longevity of Duralast components, you have the lifetime warranty.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
That's my plan.  It takes very little to swap one out.  I used  10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 19mm sockets, a ratchet, and a cheater bar.  I'm not sure why, but the alternator used  12mm and 14mm bolts.  Why not just use the same size?  The 10mm was for a bracket connected to the alternator, the 19mm and cheater was for the tensioner.  This being the first time, it took me about half an our to remove and 20minutes to install.  I could probably do the entire job in half an hour if stranded on the road or something now that I know where everything is located. Smiley

Chris

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
That's my plan.  It takes very little to swap one out.  I used  10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 19mm sockets, a ratchet, and a cheater bar.  I'm not sure why, but the alternator used  12mm and 14mm bolts.  Why not just use the same size? 

Because that would make sense, and that goes against the work ethic of engineers.   grin

Kidding aside, auto manufacturing plants sometimes run out of a certain part, and will substitute it with another one that works when necessary in order to keep the line moving. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »
Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of middle ground with alternators.  You either have cheap rebuilt units or OEM replacements at over twice the price. 

Chris

I always had my alternators rebuilt by a little independent shop the next town down... Ed's Alternators and Starters, IIRC. Only things he did, but he was always ferociously busy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2008, 05:58:12 AM »
No more noise.  The alternator was definitely the problem.  I still can't figure out why three beltdriven components failed at once.  Must be karma for me always talking up "Toyota Reliability".  I could probably go out and buy a Ford right now and have it last forever.  undecided

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2008, 06:09:10 AM »
Chris

Also when the altenator bearing seizes it usually takes the serpentine belt with it.

-Charby

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2008, 06:20:20 AM »
It hadn't seized up yet, it was just noisy. 

Chris

mfree

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
I wonder if it could be that the leaking coolant got on the belt, which was then carried up to the alternator, and sucked through the unit by the cooling fan, contaminating the bearing...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 07:06:49 AM »
Could be.  I don't think the pump was leaking all that long, maybe a couple thousand miles tops (more than half that was our trip to Mobile in early Feb, we replaced the belt just before that trip).  The water pump and the alternator are right next to each other, so if the pump was spraying out around the pulley, the alternator would be close enough to suck up some liquid.  However, I didn't lose enough coolant to be noticeable in the radiator or overflow tank.

If that's all it took, that is one seriously fragile bearing.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 07:28:47 AM »
Remember all this the next time you start talking smack about my Subaru, fatboy...  laugh

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »
I'm trying to diagnose a noise I've been getting from the serpentine belt area of my car for the past month.  It started suddenly, but hasn't gotten worse.

When it started, I noticed some residue around the waterpump and evidence of spray on the inside of the hood.  A pressure test confirms a leaking water pump.  I replaced it.  The noise doesn't go away.  Reading online, I learn that the belt tensioner tends to go out at about this time (115k miles).  The shop confirms it's bad and it's replaced.  Noise gets better, but doesn't go away.  The shop thinks it is the alternator (guy said he used a stethoscope to trace the sound to the alternator).  I pulled the serpentine belt to check the alternator myself.  There is no play in the shaft that I can discern.  It rotates smoothly, but I can just barely hear a faint noise, almost a scraping sound, when I rotate the alternator.  I can't feel it through the pulley though.  With the car running, the noise is intermittent.  It might make the noise for a bit, the stop, only to start later.  Sometimes it starts when I crank the car and quits later, other times, it'll not make the noise until the car is warmed up.

What could this be?  I've already spent $750 on this sound.  I'd rather not replace the alternator if it's not bad. 

If the alternator is going bad, but still charging, when does it become critical? 

The car is a 2003 Toyota Camry 4cyl with 115k miles.

Chris

Here's what I beleive to have happened...

The water pump started leaking.  The serpentine belt carried the coolant (and sediment, and rust, and stop-leak - you get the idea...) along its path, where it, and the dirt it picked up off of the belt were drawn into the front of the alternator by the alternator pulley cooling fan, and into what would normally be a sealed front bearing, but which has obviously worn to the point that the grease can wash out, and dirt and water wash in,  You now have dirty, rusty ball bearings - sometimes they pick up what's left of the orginal grease from the sealed bearing and quiet down - sometimes they run dry and noisey.  The bearing will eventually fail.  Good nes is this a cheap and easy fix - if the alternator is otherwise charging ok.  You just need a front and back bearing, and a set of brushes for your alternator - (spend the money and get them already assembled in the bush holder with the springs and a lock strip, especially if this is your fist time.  The old brushes will pop out of their holder when you pull the two halves of the alternator apart ( BIG TIP/HINT:  take crayon or marker and draw a mark across both halves so that you reassemble them correctly.)  The new bushes/holser will have a plastic straw that will poke out of the back of the alternator whne you bolt them in:  don;t pull this straw until the alternator is completely reassembled, with both halves oriented correctly  -  otherwise, you will have to completely remove the brushes and holder, push the brushes down against the springs, and put the little lock strip back in theough the holes.  (When you just replace brushes, you re-assemble with the old holder and springs, and use a piece of wire or the straw off of a WD-40 can....)  The back bearing is usually a cup/needle bearing, like in a U-joint - drive out the old one with an appropriate sized drift (or socket, if you a po boy...)
 and gently tap ini the new one.  Front bearings are normally hels inplace with some kind of bolts - you'll figure it out.  If you can only get brushes, see if your town has a "Bearing supply" store - take the ld ones in, and they can cross-match the numbers.  Very cheap, & your alty will be ready for another 100000 miles.  If you have a starter and alternator shop, you can pay them to do it....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...