Author Topic: Minimum effective blade length  (Read 8323 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Minimum effective blade length
« on: July 17, 2009, 12:01:20 PM »
I backpack in mountain lion country on occasion. Whether it is the news or an up tick in actual attacks it seems that more and more people are having encounters.

The nature of a catamount attack doesn't lend itself easily to the use of a pistol, plus I can't carry in most places I go so...

What would be the preferred blade length to reach the vitals on your typical north American predator? We might as well include brown and black bears for the sake of discussion.

Now I know the chances of a mountain lion attacking me are slim to none and the black bear even slimmer nonetheless inquiring minds would like to know.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
Re: Minimum effective blade length
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »
9mm
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 12:05:30 PM »
KA-BAR seems to do the trick, if the story behind the name is true :cool:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:07:15 PM »
Bear Spray

I carry a Sog NW Ranger with me when I am out playing in the woods.

http://www.absoluteknives.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=S24
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
This morning I went to SOGs sight looking for that knife, you had recommended previously. Then I started wondering if a 5 inch blde was long enough to get to the vitals on a 100lb cat.

For bears I'm on board with the spray. With a cat you probably won't know its stalking you until you are jumped from behind.

A KA-BAR has a 7 blade correct?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »
"It was acting completely out of character for how a lion would normally act around a full grown man who has a chain saw in his hand," he said.

This made me laugh for some reason.  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
This morning I went to SOGs sight looking for that knife, you had recommended previously. Then I started wondering if a 5 inch blde was long enough to get to the vitals on a 100lb cat.

For bears I'm on board with the spray. With a cat you probably won't know its stalking you until you are jumped from behind.

A KA-BAR has a 7 blade correct?

I would worry more about a 2 legged predators than a puma.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »
A Buck "Special" model 119 is a classic that's pretty inexpensive.  6" blade and while it may be $81 at the Buck website, it's closer to about $40 at Walmart last I checked.

I've never gotten into a knife fight with a cat with mine, but it has done most other work pretty well.  Fairly sure the blade is sturdy enough to slice a cat's neck if I pressed it into service as such.

I remember sleeping in my tent up in Washington in my pre-gun owning days, and having a big cat trip over the guy wire to my pup tent.  It screamed at me while the walls of the tent shook, and I damn near wet myself.  I got out my 3" swiss army knife and realized exactly how screwed I was.  Woke up the next morning and found 3" wide cat tracks around my tent.

Got a big knife that same week once I was back in town, though what I got was a knockoff Tanto blade.  Probably would have been fine for stabbing kitty, but not very useful for anything else.  Sucked as a fishing or utility knife outdoors.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:57:45 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
In general I'd say fixed blade, 5"-7", with guard or handles articulated to minimize slippage and a lanyard hole. I carry a Cold Steel Recon Tanto.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »
Just carry a hatchet.  =D
Or a Fairbairn-Sykes - it's got a 7" blade, purpose-made for stabbing things.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »
Khukuri from Himalayan imports

I like the BAS
http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/brarse1.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
Find yourself a good surplus M-4 bayonet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
I'd use a Puma  =D

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »
I saw a story about some guy who fought one off with a small pocket folder.  I'd rather have a pointy stick.  Every year, for about the last 10 years, I've been finding big cat tracks on one of our places.  I'm pretty sure it's just going to sneak up behind me and break my neck before I know what's happening, but I carry a fixed blade hunting knife or longer field knife on my belt just in case I have a chance to fight back.
For entertainment purposes only.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »
Aren't they ambush/bite to the back of head and neck predators?

Although I suppose most human/puma encounters happen when the puma is behaving defensively rather than predating.

There's a story about a guy who stabbed and killed an old toothless lioness who had his head in her mouth.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »
Aren't they ambush/bite to the back of head and neck predators?

Although I suppose most human/puma encounters happen when the puma is behaving defensively rather than predating.

There's a story about a guy who stabbed and killed an old toothless lioness who had his head in her mouth.

Yes.

I think most encounters happen without the human knowing.

If one bites me on the head, I hope it's the old toothless kind. :D
For entertainment purposes only.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »
When I wrote lionness, this story supposedly happened on the Zambezi river.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
You mean like this one?

stay safe.

skidmark
That is so cool my head just exploded.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »
Reminds me of that self-tracking gun from Aliens.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 08:55:45 PM »
You're going to try to win a knife fight with a giant wild cat?

Good luck with that.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:34 PM »
Machete
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods