Author Topic: Dear lord what a beautiful plane  (Read 5151 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Dear lord what a beautiful plane
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »

I can't tell if it's shopped but I hope one day to see a plane like this in person.

And the article is interesting as well.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Dear lord what a beautiful plane
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
calling steve austin........
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »

Only if Martin Caidin is involved.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »

I can't tell if it's shopped but I hope one day to see a plane like this in person.

It will only happen if euro subsidized.  $10M for a 500lb payload?  All that would happen is SpaceX would dust off the falcon-1 plans (nearly double the payload for $12M, and that was before they were making Merlin's by the 100's) and say good bye.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »
So the upper stage becomes space trash?

I'm trying to figure out how they "separate"  =|

Dive the mother ship and then drop the flaps and gear so it slides off  ???

You couldn't fire the rockets without burning off the tail fin.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »

Same way the separated the enterprise from the 747, just release it with it commanded to pull up (aerodynamically), the carrier aircraft then turns away, and the minishuttle starts.

The upper stage will remain in its low duration parking orbit, but will likely be forced to have some retrofire capability to minimize its lifetime...like every other upper stage.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »

My guess is the plane flies in a parabolic arc, and releases the parasite craft near the top of the arc. Parasite craft hits its motors as soon as the larger plane is clear.

Same way the separated the enterprise from the 747, just release it with it commanded to pull up (aerodynamically), the carrier aircraft then turns away, and the minishuttle starts.

The upper stage will remain in its low duration parking orbit, but will likely be forced to have some retrofire capability to minimize its lifetime...like every other upper stage.

...or that.  :lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »
Only if Martin Caidin is involved.

Martin Caidin created the character ... how can you have the one without the other? 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
Martin Caidin created the character ... how can you have the one without the other? 

ABC did. And it sucked
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:09:03 PM »
Looks like the Heart of Gold.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:32:27 PM »
Just use it as a booster for the existing Airbus fleet.

Call it the RAPTOR.

ROCKET
ASSISTED
PASSENGER
TRANSPORT
OVER
RANGE
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »

It is an A300. The tail falls off easy enough on its own.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 12:15:25 AM »

ABC did. And it sucked

ABC ran the TV series "THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN" from @ 1974 through 1979.   The roll of "Steve Austin" was played by Lee Majors.  You may think the series "sucked," but I rather enjoyed it.
You are apparantly unaware the show was based on a novel titled CYBORG which was written in 1972 by SF author Martin Caidin, also responsible for "Marooned," also made into a Gregory Peck movie, as well as many other books both about SF subjects as well as airplanes.
Steve Austin was created by Caidin, and in the novel he was the last astronaut to set foot on the moon (a feat accomplished in real life by Eugene Cernan) in the Apollo Seventeen mission.  In the book Colonel Stephen Austin then became a NASA test pilot, flying the ill-fated lifting body called the "M3F5" (In the TV series renamed the "HL-10," a real NASA test vehicle) which crashed, leading to a series of operations making him a "cyborg," which was the basic (though rather altered) theme of the TV movie and later series.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:25:33 AM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »

ABC did. And it sucked

ABC ran the TV series "THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN" from @ 1974 through 1979.   The roll of "Steve Austin" was played by Lee Majors.  You may think the series "sucked," but I rather enjoyed it.
You are apparantly unaware the show was based on a novel titled CYBORG which was written in 1972 by SF author Martin Caidin, also responsible for "Marooned," also made into a Gregory Peck movie, as well as many other books both about SF subjects as well as airplanes.
Steve Austin was created by Caidin, and in the novel he was the last astronaut to set foot on the moon (a feat accomplished in real life by Eugene Cernan) in the Apollo Seventeen mission.  In the book Colonel Stephen Austin then became a NASA test pilot, flying the ill-fated lifting body called the "M3F5" (In the TV series renamed the "HL-10," a real NASA test vehicle) which crashed, leading to a series of operations making him a "cyborg," which was the basic (though rather altered) theme of the TV movie and later series.  
Very enlightening.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 04:14:32 AM »

ABC did. And it sucked

Umm. Not unaware that Martin Caidin created Steve Austin.  Dont know where you assumed that?  Also know that the ABC series was a cash cow, and sucked, compared to the books (IMO). Operation Nuke, High Crystal and Cyborg IV are subsequent novels by Caidin featuring Steve Austin.   

Good read concerning Caidins books

http://borg.com/2012/01/09/book-review-cyborg-martin-caidins-novel-that-started-it-all/

Abraham Lincoln

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
na-na-na-na-na-na...that's the bionic man sound. Remember that vividly from the 1st and 2nd grade. Running fast...na-na-na-na-na...throwing far na-na-na-na-na-na
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
And, to make sure that no one gets the wrong idea, Martin Caidin had nothing to do with the Six Million Dollar Woman.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
And, to make sure that no one gets the wrong idea, Martin Caidin had nothing to do with the Six Million Dollar Woman.
Bionic woman.  :)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 10:45:03 AM »
Yeah, they would have discounted her to $4 million at least.  Have to account for the glass ceiling and all that.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
It is an A300. The tail falls off easy enough on its own.

Left rudder, right rudder, left rudder, oops!

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »

Crap.  I apparently did a better job than I thought of putting it from my mind.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »
Umm. Not unaware that Martin Caidin created Steve Austin.  Dont know where you assumed that?  Also know that the ABC series was a cash cow, and sucked, compared to the books (IMO). Operation Nuke, High Crystal and Cyborg IV are subsequent novels by Caidin featuring Steve Austin.   

Good read concerning Caidins books

http://borg.com/2012/01/09/book-review-cyborg-martin-caidins-novel-that-started-it-all/
I "assumed" that because of your statement that ABC created Steve Austin.  I don't think that was a particularly egregious error, considering the paucity of comment.
Glad to find out you know of Caidin's books.  I agree the books were better -- that is a standard truth IMHO.  The ONLY time I ever thought the Hollywood version was better than the book was The Posiedon Adventure. When I read the book I wondered how it got picked up for a movie .... but after seeing the movie, I thought it was pretty gosh darn decent.
BTW I still own all of Caidin's "Cyborg" novels as well as the novelizations that were made of the TV series.

Bionic woman.  :)
:rofl:

No, Mr. Caidin didn't create Jaime Summers.  He still got credit at the closing credits because the series was taken from his work.

Years ago when these TV series were still being made I saw Martin Caidin on a late night TV news show Tom Brokaw hosted.  I was interested in this interview as at the time I knew next to nothing about Martin Caidin besides the name and what was published on the dustcovers of his books.
So Brokaw's show comes on and there he is.  Martin Caidin -- looking like a Hell's Angel biker, leather jacket, walrus mustache and aside from that nearly bald as much as I recall.  
He discussed an event he had recently had flying a WW2 bomber -- a B-25 I think....maybe a B-24.  He was up at night over the Florida skies and encountered a...UFO!  It was a clear night with a moon, and he said that he could judge the UFO's size by comparing its shadow to the one his bomber cast, and which he knew the dimensions.  
He claimed this was a solid object, and he could not identify it.  Martin Caidin was a pilot and pretty knowledgeable about airplanes so that statement should mean something.
Another subject he discussed was help he provided in the attempt to develop an exoskeleton-like device to help paraplegics walk.  Some idiot government agency was causing him grief because they kept claiming developing "a two-point mechanical articulating system" was impossible.
Despite the fact that Caidin and his friend had done it.
Government.  Go figure.

Anyway, if you're interested in the man behind the SMDM  there's some tidbits from the recesses of my memory for you. [tinfoil] ;)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »

Shopped, by I like it.

Hey local aero-engineers. I was pondering how to create a super-heavy lift aircraft and I was suddenly curious if the diamond-wing shape (F-22, YF-23) could be applied to something the size of a C-5 or A380?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
na-na-na-na-na-na...that's the bionic man sound. Remember that vividly from the 1st and 2nd grade. Running fast...na-na-na-na-na...throwing far na-na-na-na-na-na

it was genius to use slow motion to create the illusion of speed.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2